Tune ID? - Definitely Pablo

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Tune ID? - Definitely Pablo

Postby Dubac » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:29 am

I'm looking for the identity of (and the vocal cut to) a Pablo instrumental that is wrongly titled 'Ras Menelik Congo (Harp)' on Sounds & Pressure Volume One. Please don't tell me it's Paul Blackman's 'Earth Wind & Fire' or Mundell's 'Run Revolution A Come'. These are both vocals to the real Ras Menelik rhythm - a completely different one included on the PS 'Augustus Pablo In Fine Style' set.

The tune I want also surfaced as Ras Bull's 'Guide I Jah' on the Rockers Story CD (RAS). This too unusually starts with a fade in, so I guess both versions were taken from the second half of 12" mixes. Now I've got the Jah Bull DJ version, I can hear a couple of lines of the original vocal in the background:

Every man has the right to live and love
And every man has the right to say he's free

Ring any bells with anyone please?

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Jackie Pablo » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:04 pm

Dubac,
According to 'The Lol 'Boom Shaka Laka' Bell-Brown's very informative Augustus Pablo Discography:
"It is actually the rhythm found on 'Freedom Sounds' by Ricky Grant. The melodica cut is 'Rose Lane Dub'. The DJ cut by Jah Bull 'Guide I Jah' can be found on 'Rockers Story'"
Jackie Pablo

Postby Dubac » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:19 pm

Thanks very much, Jackie! I'll take that. A puzzle for a few years; solved in minutes.
Dubac

Postby ephteeay » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:24 pm

>>This too unusually starts with a fade in, so I guess both versions were taken from the second half of 12" mixes.

dont know about you lot.. but this is probably the thing i hate most about reissues/represses..(e.g the 2nd half of "love is what the world want" on phoenix dub..(shocking imo))
ephteeay

Postby Dubac » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:36 pm

Yeah, I notice it most often on those GGs/Hit 7" represses. But if they're not going to make the stuff available to us on 12", it's better to have it split like this than miss out completely.

(Or maybe Dubac The Miserable is just having a rare "the cup is half-full" day today :shock: )
Dubac

Postby ephteeay » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:50 pm

its like downloading an incomplete mp3..i definitely wouldnt buy anything that had anything like that if i knew beforehand

splitting 12"s is killing music.
ephteeay

Postby ephteeay » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:58 pm

something which could be done in most cases if someone had a couple of minutes (dunno if its possible with this tune but with others it is.. ) is cut n paste a few seconds from the start of the 12" so that at least it doesnt fade in.. not that this is right but if youre planning on putting an audio sample in a release that people are gonna buy at least make it sound right.

(a free cd to someone who can tell me why pressure sounds cut off a second or more at the start of almost each song on the kool roots cd/2LP)
ephteeay

Postby skunkride » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:39 pm

My copy of Ricky Grant "Freedom Sounds" (Message 7") have vocal & dub that are not cutted from 12" version.
skunkride

Postby jay-b » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:55 am

"freedom sounds" is also available on the excellent Pablo compilation "rockers allstar explosion" released on alligator in 1985...
jay-b

Return to General discussion