Prince Lincoln and the Rasses

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Prince Lincoln and the Rasses

Postby lefteris » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:25 pm

Hi everybody!

What's your opinion on him? I find his voice exceptional... and most of the tunes above average (some of them really great!). I haven't heard much of his older stuff as i can find only his late 70's/early 80's stuff (from the nmc/orange street reissues - not that great I would prefer the BAF or Pressure treatment!)
That's all folks!
lefteris

Postby Jackie Pablo » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:51 pm

Recent put downs on this board of Prince Lincoln appear to be based on opinions about his LP's. I have never checked any of his LP's but I would recommend very highly any of the following classic 7" to anyone with an interest in quality roots reggae music:

Daughters Of Zion - Prince Lincoln (Studio 1)
Live Up To Your Name - Prince Lincoln (Studio 1)
True Experience - Prince Lincoln (Studio 1)
Kingston 11 - The Royal Rasses (God Sent)
Love The Way It Should Be - The Royal Rasses (Neville King)
Last edited by Jackie Pablo on Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackie Pablo

Postby dots69 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:12 pm

agreed lefteris i was taken aback by the recent thrashing of his voice, personally i highly rate the man AND his music, each to their own of course. Jackies mentions are all bonafide classics imho.

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby jb welda » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:20 pm

when i was "thrashing his voice" i was thinking specifically of "love the way it should be". even writing it makes me think of nails on the chalkboard.

on the other hand perhaps "worst" was not the correct description; ja has certainly produced much worse.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Beez » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:19 am

"one common need" / "food clothing and shelter" is the one for me!
Beez

Postby ephteeay » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:09 am

yes ! great voice in my favourites from those not mentioned:
"they dont know jah" on the humanity LP..
ephteeay

Postby JV » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:06 am

I love his voice and expressive style but not too many in one session. Just like those old peaty, salty & smokey Islay malts. He's definitely one of the greats of Jamaican music.
JV

Postby Ade » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:04 am

...well I have to say "Love the Way it Should Be" is my favourite Prince Lincoln song (though this was a grower for me, so I can understand why some might not like it). It's also a nice song to sing along to to test out your own falsetto :) I don't know whether I've somehow managed to bypass a lot of his works, but to my mind I always felt that he could have done a lot more with his voice. He did a couple of jingles for Dread Broadcasting Corporation accompanied only by acoustic guitar (there is one on the recent DBC set put out by Trojan). Another of these was quite long. I used to find myself re-winding the tape just to here him warble/croon!
Ade

Postby jay-b » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:09 am

Beautiful, uplifting voice - his original coxsone cut of "true experience" is up there in my all time top 5 - pity the 7" never came out with a version / instrumental cut .

the first 5 Lp's all hav etheir moments...

Humanity (ballistic 1979)
Experience (ballistic 1979)
Natural wild (ballistic 1980)
Ride with the Rasses (god sent circa 1982)
Roots man blues (target 1983)
jay-b

Postby django » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:03 pm

Just got to say I love Lincoln`s stuff, Old Time Friend was another track that particulalrly comes to mind.

Re Love The Way It Should Be, Pat Kelly did a nice cut for Fashion Records.

All the best

Andy
django

Postby Zapatoo_the_Tiger » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:10 pm

I've mentioned elsewhere that I found Prince Lincoln's voice irritating (it's as simple as that) - my opinion doesn't change. At the same time I fully appreciate that others love his singing and wouldn't argue with their opinions either.

I also find Beres Hammond's voice grating on most of the tracks I have by him :?
If it don't turn you on, you oughtta leave it alone!!

See me at: http://www.trojanrecords.co.uk/forum/index.php
Zapatoo_the_Tiger

Postby Mark T » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:14 pm

JV - if Prince Lincoln is like Laphroaig, Lagavulin etc then I'm in! Like you say though, not too much at one time.
Mark T.
Mark T

Postby Anonymous » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:16 pm

Sounds like a virgins' standpoint, Mark.
Anonymous

Postby Mark T » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:41 pm

Have you tasted the stuff? It's for sipping not for quaffing?
As to listening to Prince Lincoln I am a 'virgin' never heard any yet.
Mark.
Mark T

Postby DOOR PEEPER » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:41 pm

Superb live, lovely bloke and easily one of my top artists.
His last album before he so tragically passed away - 21st Century - is magnificent. Real heartfelt roots music.
People disliked his idea to make reggae international with his phrase 'inter-reg' to define his sound on albums like 'Experience' (which I rate highly not only for its musical content but also for Dave Hendley's superb photographs which are plastered all over the outer and inner sleeve).
To call Lincoln's voice 'unusual' would be true, but to me his songs define some of the finest reggae of the late 1970's.
DOOR PEEPER

Next

Return to General discussion