playing singles vs. playing albums

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby JV » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:05 pm

I have to admit that I've almost stopped buying 7"s (old or new) anymore but still want to spin those artifacts at times. Not for sound quality or such **** but just because it makes sense. Playing music becomes much more a physical task and reality because you have to change sides after every 3 minutes. Stacking up several 7"s on the platter is not a good thing imho though.
JV

Postby BMC » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:11 pm

JV wrote:Playing music becomes much more a physical task and reality because you have to change sides after every 3 minutes.

That's kinda how I see it. When I really play music, I spin 7's or 12's (and often not even for 3 minutes for a 7", depending on the style) with sometimes adding the occasional LP or CD track in between. If I like to just listen to music, I play full albums.

Now, it's single-time, so gotta go and flip this 12": Toyan's Dread Locks Party is waiting there.
BMC

Postby so nice » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:11 pm

platonic

--
so nice

Postby dirtweed » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:15 pm

i have one of these and i can stack up to 10 records. i can have 2 or 3 beers before i have to reload. [http://retroradiozone.com/crosley_stack_o_matic_cr89.htm]
dirtweed

Postby Lars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:56 pm

If were are talking home enviroment you should play records for yourself as you would play for your friends, in a mood were creativity flows instead of reducing it to some background noise. And nothing is better suited for that purpose than the 45. It keep you on your toes.

But as I stated somewhere else, the 45 may NOT be the best choice when, for example, having a nice time with your lady. You have to be a master in more than two ways to handle something like that...

Longplayers bores me to death (if we are not talking Jazz or classical pieces). Especially single artists albums. So if, for instance doing work at home which requires my attention, which I often do I usally just put in a mixed CD, ocassionally a very well put togheter various artist CD, or just simply tune in Irie FM. I rarely ever play LP´s. And do not collect them either.

After buying 45´s, especially brand new riddims, at my local store I usually record them, without any mixing to my MINIDISC for a first more serious listen, to sort out what was actually good and what ONLY sounded good att record store. A mean for me to getting to know the tunes.
Lars

Postby BMC » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:05 pm

Lars wrote:, to sort out what was actually good and what ONLY sounded good att record store.

So that's not just me? :lol: I sometimes have that (glad enough it happens less and less though), that I think a set of tunes sounds great in the shop and when I come home it's actually not that good at all. Last time I had that was with the recent Tenemant Yard relick.
BMC

Postby dots69 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:42 pm

the only time i ever play LPs or cdrs is when im browsing this god forsaken place !!!

otherwise its 45 time all the while :wink:

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:52 pm

Juha I couldn't agree more, that's very much what the Vinyl thing is for me, my listening changed entirely when i started getting back into Lps and singles. When I play singles I'm most often dancing around while I spin the sides, I can't be bothered with sitting down and getting back up 3 minutes later. I found that most cds were too long for me, and the length of an Lp and getting up to change it after 15-20 minutes was perfect for me. i know it must seem very picky to be talking about such stuff to those out there who have this idea that Vinyl listeners are an elitist bunch who look down their collective noses at those who prefer listening to cds. Personally I can't stand the little blighters, the look, size and length of them all **** me off and for this reason I prefer a nice Lp. I find it impossible to do spinbacks with my cd player too.
Anonymous

Previous

Return to General discussion