OLD/ORIGINAL studio 1 press quality.. JV??

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

OLD/ORIGINAL studio 1 press quality.. JV??

Postby ephteeay » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:21 am

or whoever has enough studio 1 7s to make judgment.

i have a few studio 1/coxsone 7s .. many are old presses.. i dont know from what year but some look like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 49954&rd=1

(without the scribble.. but the label, font is the same)

these include:

john holt's hooligan (dub version only b/w pablove blacks jamrec dub)
heptones - love me girl
heptones - hard to confess red vinyl

(early presses... dunno if theyre early represses and the original presses sounded much better)

the strange thing is that the red scratched vinyl plays best.. plays LOUD, strong, clear, lots of bass etc..

the others even though they look new either play very quiet or not so clear.. (fine by jamaican standards.. but not at all as well as other old / original presses..) my point: the ones with this kind of label werent very consistent regarding sound quality.
i want to know which studio 1 7s had the best sound quality (if they ever did) (i.e what label they had etc) so that i know which presses to look out for in the future!)

most their represses arent good (anyone heard the recent press of don evans "danger in your eyes"??) and neither are quite a few old / original presses unlike almost all other labels!! (crystal, ja man, sunshot, and lots of other smaller labels that only released a few things..)

thx
ephteeay

Re: OLD/ORIGINAL studio 1 press quality.. JV??

Postby Lars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:39 am

This one I also really would like to have an real expert comment on.

It is a jungle out there. And my patience with lousy studio One pressings is talking its toll.
Lars

Postby tim p » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:33 am

OK first of all I'm not an expert on this stuff, I'm not sure if there are any to be honest. Though loads of people know alot more than I do I doubt there is anyone who would know the original issue label for all CSDodd releases.

What I will say is this. The label started life circa 1960 like this.

It then was used throughout the Ska era with various colour paper used in the print process like this.

Up to roughly 1968 the label tended to have the lines going through the centre.

From 1968 or around about the classic label design appeared.

All these dates are a rough guide only. Coxsone has always re-issued stuff and on occasions I'm sure that whatever pre-printed labels were available were used meaning that you'll sometimes get the same record on different labels these could have been pressed on the same day or more likely weeks, months or even years apart.

For what it's worth I'm pretty sure that Fatty Fatty is the first issue. I have it on that label and don't remember seeing any others. It's a good label anyway and I wouldn't worry too much.
Last edited by tim p on Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim p

Postby jay-b » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:26 am

I think is fair to say its almost impossible to be accurate in terms of sound/pressing quality based on the label (there will always be an exception to any generalisation !!) :cry:

issues to consider:

(1) UK issues on studio one / bamboo / banana / ashanti etc are normally pretty crisp - although in my experience some of the earlier releases on other UK labels such as fab are less than dynamic (some UK releases in the early days were dubbed from JA originals - check some of the early island releases)

(2) although labels some times help to "date" a release some labels are applied as "old stock" to later pressings - causing further confusion

(3) although originals tend to be crisper because of cleaner, better stampers producing deeper grooves, this theory quickly goes out the window if there was a bad run of re-cycled vinyl at the time or some bloke in the pressing plant couldn't be bothered to ash his cigarette before gravity took over

(4) case in point is a couple burning spear sevens - I have "creation rebel" on early forward label issue with a beautiful deep, dynamic sound whereas "ethiopians live out" on an early coxsone pressing of around the same time has a thin crackly sound......any know the reason for this?
jay-b

Postby tim p » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:37 am

I should add that this one advertised by the same seller is definitely an early repress from the early 70's

It's pretty clear because the b side is advertised as having a version which sides from 1967 did not have. It's a nice edition to have though as if you have the first press you won't have the version.

As far as the pressing quality. Many but not all early to mid 70's issues on the Coxsone label are not the greatest pressings. Some look clean but play bad, others have a strange surface with what appears like many small bumps (not the odd one but hundreds of very small ones very close together)... these tend to have a constant background noise. I commented on this problem on Burning Spear originals recently I think.

The worse ones tend to be lighter/thinner vinyl but again nothing is definite. If your buying on ebay you won't know unless the seller can advise on this kind of thing.
tim p

Postby tim p » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:44 am

jay-b wrote:case in point is a couple burning spear sevens - I have "creation rebel" on early forward label issue with a beautiful deep, dynamic sound whereas "ethiopians live out" on an early coxsone pressing of around the same time has a thin crackly sound......any know the reason for this?

Mine are exactly the same Jay-b the only reason you can really give are to do with cheap source materials or a fault at the production stage as you mentioned. I've had several copies of Ethiopians Live It Out - they've all sounded the same.
tim p

Postby JV » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:22 pm

Just enjoy the music - ignore the quality of pressing is my best advice. There are bad ones and good ones (even excellent) in represses and originals just the same.
And now the obligatory picture post. (note the misspelling of "bouquet")

JV

Postby tim p » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:25 pm

I always thought the Bugget label was a misspelling of Budget.
tim p

Postby JV » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:39 pm

This one sounds very good :P

JV

Postby tim p » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:01 pm

This one probably does too. :wink:

tim p

Postby Downbeat Special » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:27 pm

I have always found the 'blanks' to be pretty good presses. Maybe because they were often pre-release copies.

Rob
Downbeat Special

Postby jb welda » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:32 pm

forget the label, those are pretty cool sleeves, tim p and juha!

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Return to General discussion