Keeping track of posts?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Is the Blood and Fire Discussin Board working properly?

YES
68%
NO
32%

Total votes : 19

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:20 pm

cool. that helps a lot,, this could be the problem,, changes comeing very soon!!

Dont keep those bpweb bookmarks ;-)
steve
Site Admin

Postby tim p » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:25 pm

What Steve describes as how the board is working is what the actual problem is for me.

When I log in only new posts made AFTER I log in flag up as new posts. The ones BEFORE I log in are not indicated and therefore I find it really hard to know what I've already read and what I haven't.

When I log in to both the Trojan and DHR boards ALL new posts are indicated including the ones made before I logged in.
tim p

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:27 pm

hmm.. thats not right Tim...

you SHOULD be able to see new posts since your last visit.

See what happens when I transfer the domain name over , if youre still havin the same problem more investigatin will be needed!!
steve
Site Admin

Postby Pluto » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:31 pm

That's not the case for me Tim P, actually the 'new posts since last visit' thing works fine. Have you activated the 'Log me on automatically each visit' thingy when logging-in? I'd recommend that for those who have such problems (unless they use it and still face the same problems)...
Pluto

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:55 pm

domain name has been changed!

everyone should now see http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk again now instead of the bpweb one!

You will almost certainly have to log back in again.

Hope this fixes the problem... if not,, we will keep going till we get it sorted :-)

I got to go and do some stuff for my day job now,, but wil be back later this evening ... have fun!

Cheers
Steve
steve
Site Admin

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:22 pm

Thanks for all the help and work, Steve! Much appreciated. :D
BMC

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:43 pm

ok, the domain name should be all changed over, hope you didnt have too many problems... I know everyone will have had to log back in again, but this should be the last time this happens for a good while ;-)

How are the new post notificatios working now? had chance to re-test since the change?

Cheers
Steve
steve
Site Admin

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:49 pm

The 'problems' I had with the board are solved, steve, so it was indeed the url. Thanks.
BMC

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:00 pm

Last edited by jb welda on Sun May 11, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb welda

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:08 pm

It would be nice to have it as jah bill suggests, but unfortunately this would result in a very slow board and an enormous database - quite unmanagable!!

Think about it... 11982 articles 981 users... thats 11,754,342 records,,, and its only going to get bigger!!

It would slow things up a lot... and Im certain no one would want to make that sacrifice!!

Cheers
Steve
steve
Site Admin

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:11 pm

i think some clever indexing could be done to avoid a lot of overhead.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:28 pm

let me add though, as an analyst, application developer and a sort of db admin, i realize that someones always got a better idea of how to do things, even though they havent a clue what it takes to do what seems to them a simple thing.

on the other hand, steve, you *did* ask. that was your first mistake.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:39 pm

lol,, and your first mistake was admiting you *know* about this stuff :D heh heh!

Im sure the phpBB community would be very happy to hear of anyway you could reduce the overhead in recording something like that... I guess you would only have to record the unread posts and that the regular visitors records would be small,, but the occassional visitors records would be full... either way,, its still a large overhead,, and another set of calculations that need to be done every time someone requests a page!

Anyway, not something Im going to tackle, will leave it to the phpBB community to sort out... I have enough on my plate,, does my memory serve me correctly in that someone mentioned that a different colour scheme might be nice? ;-)

Glad thigs seem to be better after the domain change,,

Cheers
Steve
steve
Site Admin

Postby Ital Dokta » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:06 am

Looking good Steve, seems like most of the posts made earlier today while I was at work are registering as new, I haven't changed my bookmark since the server switch and didn't have to log in when I got back on the board a short while ago...
Ital Dokta

Postby tim p » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:25 am

Ital Dokta wrote:Looking good Steve, seems like most of the posts made earlier today while I was at work are registering as new...

Same here. Many thanks Steve... much appreciated.
tim p

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion