Keeping track of posts?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Is the Blood and Fire Discussin Board working properly?

YES
68%
NO
32%

Total votes : 19

Keeping track of posts?

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:14 pm

Hellooooo

Some people have been reporting that the board is not keeping track of which posts they have read.

It is important to remember that for this to work you must be logged in and that the system only keeps track of posts you have not read since your last visit.

So:

If you log in and there are posts you have not read, and you read half of them, and then log out again (or the system logs you out because you have been idle for too long) then the half of the posts you didnt read will be marked as read when you next log in and only new posts since your log out time will be marked as not read.

Does that make sense? Is this what everyone else agrees on?

Please anser the poll
steve
Site Admin

Postby Pluto » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:52 pm

From my experience this is what happens:

I'm always logged in regardless of how often I check the board (the only time I've ever been logged-off was during the recent change of servers). Actually I've noticed that there is no accurate marking of posts that I've read and posts I've not, unless I leave the board and come back some hours later. Otherwise, i.e. if I 'refresh' the General discussion page after I read the new posts, it could be that most threads I've read are still marked as 'new post' (unread). That's no big deal though, because all the really new posts are placed on top.

I hope what I wrote above makes sense... :roll:
Pluto

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:53 pm

Still not working properly for me Steve, I'm logged in but the only time new posts are displayed as "new" is when they're posted while I'm actually on the board or if I've only been away for a short time...
Ital Dokta

Postby Jackie Pablo » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:57 pm

Same here Ital Dokta.
Jackie Pablo

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:57 pm

The behaviour you described sounds fine... thats the way its supposed to work.

what about if you log out and come back a bit later?

are the new posts shown then?

remember you *must* be logged in for this to work at all and it will only show new posts since your last visit.

Cheers
Steve
steve
Site Admin

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:59 pm

Also remember that the board will log you out automatically after 1 hour of inactivity.

And this will mark all the posts you havent read as read.

Cheers
Steve
steve
Site Admin

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:08 pm

I'm logged in automatically Steve, I was logged out after the server change and since then I've tried logging out & then back in again to see if the new posts start displaying again, to no avail except when I am actually on the board or have only been away briefly...
Ital Dokta

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:08 pm

I'm constantly logged off after the server-change. Before I could log in, check the board, go to other boards or places on the net, come back and still be logged on. Now, as soon as I go to another site, I'm logged off (far within the hour, I'm talkin' minutes here) and have to log on again when I come back to the site even though the "log me in automatically" thingy is on.
BMC

Postby Pluto » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:09 pm

steve wrote:Also remember that the board will log you out automatically after 1 hour of inactivity.

And this will mark all the posts you havent read as read.

Cheers
Steve

Is that 1 hour of inactivity while visiting the B&F site?
Because I've never been automatically logged out (which means I'd have to re-log in next time) even if I re-visit the board hours or days later...
Pluto

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:10 pm

And again...

The board may behave differently if you check the 'Log me on automatically each visit' checkbox on the login page.

I assume this is how some people are staying 'logged in' - which is fine but its not strictly true.

The internet is stateless. This means that there is no open connection (like a telephone call) between you and the Blood and Fire Server, its more like a lot of sms messages being sent back and forth. The only way you are kept logged in is that each time you request a page a little identifying tag is sent along with the request. The server looks up who this identifying tag is associated with and displays the read/not read posts accordingly.

So, it may seem like you are logged in all the time, but in actual fact this will only be the case some of the time (except possibly for the hardcore baffers who are constantly posting ;-))

So while it may seem like you never actually log out - in practice you will be logged out after every hour of inactivity (which is when the little id tag is no longer valid). When you refresh the page and you have the 'Log me on automatically each visit' thing checked - you are really being logged back in.

This is all getting a bit techical, Im sorry but theres not really any other way to explain it,, it is complex!

Also you will almost certainly experience problems if you are using a service like AOL where your IP address changes regularly, Im told this can be from page to page,, but Ive yet to work out how they could do this..

Any more info?
Cheers
Steve
steve
Site Admin

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:12 pm

Ok I Think we might be getting somewhere here...

sounds like theres a problem with the sessions rather than the post notification system...

Keep reporting Ill keep thinking!! :-)
Last edited by steve on Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Site Admin

Postby Pluto » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:12 pm

BMC, do you visit the http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk/db/viewforum.php?f=1 page? What you describe is pretty strange... - it could be the AOL server thing Steve mentioned.

Steve, what you say about the 'tags' is not that complex - I thought it would be that way. This works only when you have 'cookies' enabled, obviously...
Last edited by Pluto on Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pluto

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:14 pm

Yes Pluto, that's the url I have as my home-directory, which might indeed just be the problem: it's not that bpweb-address since the server-change!

Could that be the problem?
BMC

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:17 pm

Just checked and bookmarked the new service-address and now when I go to another page and come back to this new url I'm indeed still logged in. If I go to the old url (pre-server change) I'm logged off.
BMC

Postby steve » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:19 pm

Yes youre right, I didnt think of it before, but the bpweb address could *possibly* have something to do with this.

I havent changed it over completely yet as we were waiting for a good 4 or 5 days to make sure that all the DNS entries in all the servers around the world had time to catch up.

I think we will be ok now.. its been 5 days, Ill change it, and we will see what happens...
steve
Site Admin

Next

Return to General discussion