rod taylor

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby ephteeay » Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:50 am

i have a friend who almost everytiime i play (music) with him he'll always remove my tune when the dub comes in / before the dub comes in.. even though he loves reggae (supposedly)..(i call him a butcher) i have things on LPs that i also look for on 12" .. good riddims deserve dub versions.. or instrumental versions.. if everything was available on 12"s or 7s i wouldnt buy LPs..and the reason i buy 7s is to have the dub version as well..(i see a dub version as a different tune altogether most the time!!) i understand people who dont listen to reggae getting bored thinking "damn.. whens this gonna finish?" but most the time i think "damn.. already finished?" i love hearing dub after a vocal and when i play out thats what i do most the time..

I LOVE VERSIONS
ephteeay

Postby Lars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:00 am

ephteeay wrote:I LOVE VERSIONS

Who doesn´t?
Lars

Postby ephteeay » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:02 am

(i didnt say virgins)
ephteeay

Postby j j » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:20 am

Come off it Lars , i got way more 45's than CD's, i just can't understand someone not likeing a good extended mix when available.So do you like how reggae 7"s have a version on the B side or do you just listen to the vocal?

j j
j j

Postby Lars » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:05 am

j j wrote:Come off it Lars , i got way more 45's than CD's, i just can't understand someone not likeing a good extended mix when available.So do you like how reggae 7"s have a version on the B side or do you just listen to the vocal?

j j

It was never a question of liking versions or not, but about the obsession with extended versions in the reissue market when issuing classic albums or making single artist compilations (the want for it that Jah Bill gave expression for). Like single artists albums containing ten ordinary tracks more than often wasn´t boring enough. The latter of course a matter of preferences. Personally I always go for the 45, rather than the 12 inch, in the cases where the latter is available at all. And when it is version time, just flip it over or pulling out the version from another record.
Lars

Previous

Return to General discussion