Only one turntable - Sound Systems - why?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby dan i » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:31 pm

Tim P : It helps if they know the tunes as well of course. This is one of Champions real strengths. He knows 90% of my tunes better than I do so he can introduce stuff and know what he's talking about. He also knows when an intro will finish and a vocal begin - meaning that he doesn't chat all over a tune conflicting with the vocals

I agree Tim, I used to work with a variety of MCs, but nowadays I will almost only work with Dr Alan, my long time spar. Lyrics are the key of course, but also the knowledge of the music so it can breathe in the right places as well as be enhanced by their performance. It is a rare talent, much harder to find than a good selector. Special respect also to Knatty P from RDK HiFi and Jah Observer, who I used to enjoy working with back in the day.

This is a good thread, and my feeling is that only really heavy sounds with authentic weight can carry this off well, but there is a time and place for all styles. At least the reggae DJ isnt faced with total disaster if one deck crashes, unlike so many others. I rocked a wedding party with my Discman, the tunes were such a relief after what had been on before, that nobody minded waiting, there was something of a 'what's next?' feeling of anticipation which was good.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i

Postby dougie conscious » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:38 pm

1 deck style original and still the best,its great when theres a bit of a break in the music gives you time to breath chat to your mate{pass the skins}or even bang on the wall or speaker {to create a vibe}
dougie conscious

Postby Varese » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:13 pm

Selektah Twice wrote:No doubt Tim, same way here. My comment is directed to those who can't mix 2 records if their life depended on it, and use the excuse that they are playing "WARRIOR STYLE" etc. to hide the fact that they just ****.

Does that mean Shaka et al. are pants :? Dunno- I can DJ with 1, 2 or 3 decks, and I've travelled over several continents checking people playing reggae. I can quite happily say that I'd prefer to hear someone like Shaka or Aba Shanti using one deck than some kid from NY mistaking "being able to count to 16 and mix two things in time" for "talent"...
Varese

Postby dougie conscious » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:21 pm

Selektah Twice wrote:
No doubt Tim, same way here. My comment is directed to those who can't mix 2 records if their life depended on it, and use the excuse that they are playing "WARRIOR STYLE" etc. to hide the fact that they just ****.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO MIX 2 TUNES INTO 1? CANT SEE THE PIONT
dougie conscious

Postby tim.p » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:31 pm

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO MIX 2 TUNES INTO 1? CANT SEE THE PIONT

Granted Mr Dodds Discomixes were pretty poor in this respect - most of the others were pretty OK at it though.

:wink:
tim.p

Postby dougie conscious » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:09 pm

yes but they were spliced not mixed,and im talking 2 diffrent tunes{rydims}
dougie conscious

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:15 pm

Anyone who's been raised in soundsystem culture (and by sound system I mean literally that - a sound system, not a DJ with a box of records playing off a club PA) will prefer the one deck style. Selektah Twice, your comments immediately signify that you're not from this background & have never experienced it, cos if you had you couldn't possibly justify what you said. To me, DJ's & selectors are for dance music, not reggae. Any dances I'd choose to go to would feature one deck style, and it'd be used expertly. But it's a London thing, a UK thing. Even in the case of a sound like Iration Steppas using 2 CD's, there's no continuous mixing & they create vibes aplenty inbetween tracks. I tell you, if I went to a session & some DJ started disco-mixing one track into the other, I'd walk out.
Reggaemusicstore

Postby StepDubStep » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:46 pm

Why is the DJ mixing(seemlessly) so important? There's only two reasons I can think of. 1:To keep the dance rocking without any breaks which is pure niceness if the dancers are wasted and just want to move without actually listening. 2:To big up one's own status. To be idolized by others.

My thoughts are that....I wouldn't want to play for a crowd that isn't really there to hear the tunes. If they are there to get drunk and get laid and get in fights, aren't they in the wrong place? :? Is this not anyones church??????!!!!!! :shock: And also if you're rinsing strictly conscious music, the ego thing fights that down. I 100% honestly care more about what TUNE finds my ears than who throws it down or how it transitioned from the previous tune.

And when the selector is playing one tune at a time with one turntable, it forces them to select the cream of the crop as opposed to filling out a riddim selection with a couple of "ice cream" cuts just so they can mix. And I observe that the super star selector thing is difficult for a super star selector to keep up with. So what do they do? They purchase everything that comes out of JA whether it's crap or not. And then the same multitude of tunes will see play on the decks. Why? I have no idea. But I am so tired of the Bobo Singjay ting I'd rather sell of my whole collection and start listening to jazz than stay up to date on what Capleton's doing. Or the whole new lot a dem for that matter.

Different styles, different music, different selectors. I personally prefer the more humble approach that showcases the music and not the selector.
Last edited by StepDubStep on Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
From a youth reggae inna me bloodstream, now a man reggae inna me system! From a boy reggae was my first joy, now a man reggae still number one!
StepDubStep

Postby Angel Gabriel » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:45 pm

I have not been to many jamaican style dances in my life..although the ones that I have been to are the so called 'warrior style' - to be honest, at a reggae dance, I never really worried about the mixing skills of the selectors..mixing does not seem to be much a JA thing..

I agree with the idea that the suspense of that second or two wait while the next song comes on is just fantastic..the anticipation one feels when you hear the needle catch the groove just before the intro..that anxiety..wondering what is coming on next..then it hits you..the opening bars to Queen Majesty and you are there...reggae heaven..dont mix that song for me..let me anticipate the intro every time..

g
Angel Gabriel

Postby DrSuperlove » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:33 am

Selektah Twice wrote:Actually it is about the selector and how he or she puts the music together. A lot of discjockey's don't have any talent, don't have an ear for mixing, so the excuse is to let records play out and play the next one. MY GRANDMOTHER CAN DO THAT.

power to her! my grandma has a **** collection of tunes
Wickedness increase!
DrSuperlove

Postby steve rice » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:10 am

when i started playing all the sounds used one deck and i learnt the art of "the flick of my wrist" which took a long time.you need the deck just below eye level to do it properly and you should have the pre amp controls underneath.however i use two decks all the time these days and the occasion when one has broken down for whatever reason,more often than not it's a channel on a club mixer!,i can perform just as well on one deck.playing albums is difficult tho' and that's why i never bought any albums back in the early days,waste of time....

it's easier not to be too much of a purist.. :wink:
steve rice

Postby tim.p » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:33 am

I agree Steve.

This is a bit of a strange conversation as I think people are talking at cross purposes.

It would be stupid and pointles to play one deck style if you play modern roots tunes or dancehall. If your going to play 3 different cuts of Seasons or something like that, of course your going to mix it - they are made to be mixed!

On the other hand no one is going to try and mix Warrior Charge. If you've got two decks you might do a minimal fade between tunes but thats about all.

So if you only want to listen to 70's Roots - steppas style then one deck is OK. You can get away with it for pure revive too. For dancehall and modern roots you need two decks to work well.

It's pretty obvious to me though that what you can play with one deck you can do exactly the same thing with two decks + ALOT MORE TOO. No disrespect to people who want to do one deck style but trying to fight down people for using two is pretty pointless IMO

Reggaemusicstore wrote:Anyone who's been raised in soundsystem culture (and by sound system I mean literally that - a sound system, not a DJ with a box of records playing off a club PA) will prefer the one deck style.

I'm sure there are people like that but it's not universally true. Gladdy Wax always plays two decks and he's been round since Quaker City in the 70's. Ras Digby used to be with Sir Jessus in the 70's he always uses both decks when he plays with us. Clive Allick from Moa Anbessa used both decks the time he played... Any of them could play on just one of the decks if thats what they wanted. Admittedly the set up is slightly different but not massively.

StepDubStep wrote:My thoughts are that....I wouldn't want to play for a crowd that isn't really there to hear the tunes. If they are there to get drunk and get laid and get in fights, aren't they in the wrong place? ...

People have always gone to dances for different reasons. Not defending fighting of course but the other two are OK with me - especially the middle one!! If I wanted to play to 20 purists - label spotting old geezers - then I could set up in the back room of a pub or club tomorrow, play nice and deep, feel very pure and righteous and bore myself to death! I was doing that years ago and prefer to try and reach out to people with the music - expose it to people who don't usually check for it AND entertain the old school people too.
tim.p

Postby dogwarbossanova » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:49 am

DrSuperlove wrote:
Selektah Twice wrote:Actually it is about the selector and how he or she puts the music together. A lot of discjockey's don't have any talent, don't have an ear for mixing, so the excuse is to let records play out and play the next one. MY GRANDMOTHER CAN DO THAT.

power to her! my grandma has a **** collection of tunes

TIME FOR A GRANDMA SOUNDCLASH!!
dogwarbossanova

Postby steve rice » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:22 pm

people like to play how they like to play,ther's no right or wrong way and you either like it or you don't.personally i'm not into playing to a crowd of blokes,i learnt the lloydie coxsone style which is for all the people,he is an entertainer and the reason his dances were always packed was 'cos the place was chock full of girls!!i don't know about anyone else but i like dancing with girls 8)
lord god push me in the corner!!! :wink:
steve rice

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:48 pm

tim.p wrote:
It would be stupid and pointles to play one deck style if you play modern roots tunes or dancehall. If your going to play 3 different cuts of Seasons or something like that, of course your going to mix it - they are made to be mixed!

I've seen Iration Steppas & other sounds play several different cuts of a riddim on different 7"s with one deck & the vibes were flowing cos of the way they did it. I also remember seeing Jah Tubbys playing for 20 - 30 mins in a clash with one deck dropping dubplate after dubplate, to save time he didn't even take them off the deck, just dropped the next plate on so that by the end of his time there must have been 5 or 6 plates stacked up on the deck. The MC's carried the vibes thru the gap & again the vibes were flowing. What I really took exception to in this thread was Selektah Twice's comments that anyone who uses one deck is ****, cos to me that comment just reeks of ignorance. By the way Tim, I don't know if you've ever been to a shaka session in the past 15 years but if you have then you'd know that rather than playing to 15 or 20 purists in the back room of a club, it's actually more like 1000 people from all over the world, many of them girls & many from a non reggae background, quite a few of whom are probably experiencing reggae for the first time ever.
Reggaemusicstore

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion