Only one turntable - Sound Systems - why?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby StepDubStep » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:12 pm

I like weh you say digiman. Here's an observation.......with only one turntable, the selector's "mixing" talents are not showcased. This is a good thing, because it's not about the selector. It's about the music. We are not turntableists in reggae. So I think one turntable is the humble approach, more fitting to the genre.
From a youth reggae inna me bloodstream, now a man reggae inna me system! From a boy reggae was my first joy, now a man reggae still number one!
User avatar
StepDubStep
 
Posts: 2456
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:47 am
Location: Bay Area

Postby illanja » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:43 pm

StepDubStep wrote:I like weh you say digiman. Here's an observation.......with only one turntable, the selector's "mixing" talents are not showcased. This is a good thing, because it's not about the selector. It's about the music. We are not turntableists in reggae. So I think one turntable is the humble approach, more fitting to the genre.


not sure if turntablism should be excluded from reggae, anyone check the 'blunted with a beat junkie' set that shortkut did for trojan?
my only gripe with it is that there's not as much turntablism as there might be - reggae is big music - room for all kinds of styles!
illanja
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:09 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Postby dots69 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:51 pm

rez wrote:
interestingly with serato and final scratch you can actually just use 1 turntable and mix like as if you had 2


and what exactly is 'interesting' about that pal :!: :!: :?: :?: :lol: :wink:

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69
 
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:49 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby tim.p » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:27 am

dots69 wrote:
rez wrote:
interestingly with serato and final scratch you can actually just use 1 turntable and mix like as if you had 2


and what exactly is 'interesting' about that pal :!: :!: :?: :?: :lol: :wink:

respect
Dots


LOL you need to get out more Rez :wink:
Image
tim.p
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:22 pm
Location: London N.one

Postby rez » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:32 am

it's times like this I wish there were smileys with AK's here like there is on DHR....
rez
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby tim.p » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:04 am

Don't be like that.

Image
Image
Image
tim.p
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:22 pm
Location: London N.one

Postby 6655321 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:20 am

personally, i love a good long riddim jugglin'.
6655321
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:55 am

Postby Dub boy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:16 am

6655321 wrote:personally, i love a good long riddim jugglin'.


Agreed. Always been a big fan of jugglin'

It's how I mix tho I'm happy to play with one deck if that's the vibe of the night and i got a good deejay working with me
Wind Up Yuh Waist
Dub boy
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:07 am
Location: Bristol

Postby dan i » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:28 am

Dont know about anyone else, but my experience of playing inna one deck (or warrior) style when i started out came from only having one working deck available, needs must as they say. I would rather use 2, but it didnt stop people enjoying the set back in those days. One thing, it sorts out the dibby dibby sounds who dont know their records well enough to know what tune to follow with...

And another thing... there arent actually enough good mic men these days to really make it work well on one deck, lots of mic men, but not enough that are good enough, know what I'm saying?
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:17 pm

Postby Dub boy » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:35 am

dan i wrote:there arent actually enough good mic men these days to really make it work well on one deck, lots of mic men, but not enough that are good enough, know what I'm saying?


I know exactly what you're saying! Most mic men/women these days dun know when to shut up and often don't have any lyrics of note. Vibesing is all well and good but I prefer substance from whoever's pon mic

Same with Grime, a few top top mc's in that field and a whole lot of tuneless wastemen with nothing to say
Wind Up Yuh Waist
Dub boy
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:07 am
Location: Bristol

Postby tim.p » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:27 pm

It helps if they know the tunes as well of course. This is one of Champions real strengths.

He knows 90% of my tunes better than I do so he can introduce stuff and know what he's talking about. He also knows when an intro will finish and a vocal begin - meaning that he doesn't chat all over a tune conflicting with the vocals.

Not knowing when to shut up goes with the territory a bit I think. If you've got the front to start talking on a mic for long periods then your going to be confident enough to believe that you can say what you want when you want. All MC's probably misjudge this on occasions though some more than others.
Image
tim.p
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:22 pm
Location: London N.one

Postby Selektah Twice » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:04 pm

StepDubStep wrote:I like weh you say digiman. Here's an observation.......with only one turntable, the selector's "mixing" talents are not showcased. This is a good thing, because it's not about the selector. It's about the music. We are not turntableists in reggae. So I think one turntable is the humble approach, more fitting to the genre.


Actually it is about the selector and how he or she puts the music together. A lot of discjockey's don't have any talent, don't have an ear for mixing, so the excuse is to let records play out and play the next one. MY GRANDMOTHER CAN DO THAT. A selector should have mixing skills, a good ear, should know how to count bars so their mixes sound wicked and the vibes remain nice. Tonight i'm playing Ska, Rocksteady, Early Reggae, Roots Reggae, and early Dancehall at The Westchester Reggae Fest. In a few days I will post what I do so you all can hear. It's all about BPM - Beats Per Minute. Watch how I mix this material like I was juggling tunes on the same rhythm. IT'S ALL ABOUT TALENT.
Selektah Twice
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: New York City

Postby tim.p » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:19 pm

Selektah Twice wrote:
StepDubStep wrote:I like weh you say digiman. Here's an observation.......with only one turntable, the selector's "mixing" talents are not showcased. This is a good thing, because it's not about the selector. It's about the music. We are not turntableists in reggae. So I think one turntable is the humble approach, more fitting to the genre.


Actually it is about the selector and how he or she puts the music together. A lot of discjockey's don't have any talent, don't have an ear for mixing, so the excuse is to let records play out and play the next one. MY GRANDMOTHER CAN DO THAT. A selector should have mixing skills, a good ear, should know how to count bars so their mixes sound wicked and the vibes remain nice. Tonight i'm playing Ska, Rocksteady, Early Reggae, Roots Reggae, and early Dancehall at The Westchester Reggae Fest. In a few days I will post what I do so you all can hear. It's all about BPM - Beats Per Minute. Watch how I mix this material like I was juggling tunes on the same rhythm. IT'S ALL ABOUT TALENT.


I kind of agree Selektah Twice but think that the kind of thing your talking about is better suited to dancehall and modern roots. I've never stopped to check BPM on a Ska tune in my life and can say with some confidence that I never will. I can still play a Ska set that'll mix from tune to tune nicely. If there is a gap in the music thats because the tune was pulled up - not because I put it there.
Image
tim.p
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:22 pm
Location: London N.one

Postby Roman » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:20 pm

Selektah Twice wrote:
StepDubStep wrote:It's all about BPM - Beats Per Minute. Watch how I mix this material like I was juggling tunes on the same rhythm. IT'S ALL ABOUT TALENT.


Post it man, I am looking forward to hear it!

So many conservative people: no 2 decks, no CDs, no non-jamaican reggae etc... But why?

We're not living in the 1950s JA or do we?
User avatar
Roman
 
Posts: 2004
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:49 am
Location: Solar System

Postby Selektah Twice » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:28 pm

tim.p wrote:
Selektah Twice wrote:
StepDubStep wrote:I like weh you say digiman. Here's an observation.......with only one turntable, the selector's "mixing" talents are not showcased. This is a good thing, because it's not about the selector. It's about the music. We are not turntableists in reggae. So I think one turntable is the humble approach, more fitting to the genre.


Actually it is about the selector and how he or she puts the music together. A lot of discjockey's don't have any talent, don't have an ear for mixing, so the excuse is to let records play out and play the next one. MY GRANDMOTHER CAN DO THAT. A selector should have mixing skills, a good ear, should know how to count bars so their mixes sound wicked and the vibes remain nice. Tonight i'm playing Ska, Rocksteady, Early Reggae, Roots Reggae, and early Dancehall at The Westchester Reggae Fest. In a few days I will post what I do so you all can hear. It's all about BPM - Beats Per Minute. Watch how I mix this material like I was juggling tunes on the same rhythm. IT'S ALL ABOUT TALENT.


I kind of agree Selektah Twice but think that the kind of thing your talking about is better suited to dancehall and modern roots. I've never stopped to check BPM on a Ska tune in my life and can say with some confidence that I never will. I can still play a Ska set that'll mix from tune to tune nicely. If there is a gap in the music thats because the tune was pulled up - not because I put it there.


No doubt Tim, same way here. My comment is directed to those who can't mix 2 records if their life depended on it, and use the excuse that they are playing "WARRIOR STYLE" etc. to hide the fact that they just suck.
Selektah Twice
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: New York City

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 12 guests