Burning Spear - Soul/Jazz- Studio One release: Availability?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Burning Spear - Soul/Jazz- Studio One release: Availability?

Postby Angel Gabriel » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:39 pm

Just stopped off at my local record store (non-reggae) and they told me that they can't get the Burning Spear Studio One Soul/Jazz release in the U.S. from the distributors since Heartbeat has exclusive (except for Studio One) rights to Burning Spear's Studio One output in the U.S.

I have been checking Ernie B's website for a few weeks now and they do not seem to have the cd/lp as well.

any information on this?

thanks all

jah guide

Gabriel
Angel Gabriel

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:22 am

Pretty sure I saw both titles available at EB's upon release, probably they're just sold out? Both the Heartbeat & Soul Jazz versions are easily available in most better music stores in my area, for what it's worth (and we usually lag behind the UK & U.S. for new releases)...
Ital Dokta

Postby jay-b » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:01 am

my info is that because of relationship with Heartbeat they wont be stocking the soul jazz...
jay-b

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:33 pm

ive watched ernies site for the soul jazz version since it came out and never saw it.

im almost positive it has to do with licensing of heartbeat in the US and laws regarding competing imports, even though the releases are slightly different.

would someone be so kind as to pick me up a copy of the souljazz version on vinyl and send to the states?

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby ian » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:41 pm

jb, I'm dropping by the Soul Jazz shop tomorrow so can pick you up a copy if you want, send me a pm to arrange details etc....

On a radio show last year Soul Jazz explained they have the rights to release Studio 1 in europe and Heartbeat have the rights in USA.
ian

spear s1

Postby dubstar » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:57 pm

dustygroove in the states had the LP but now out of stock

I see know reason why the other SJ S1 releases would make it to the US but this one would not...
dubstar

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:59 pm

dubstar: because licensing agreements cover this record and not the others? because it is practically the same release and imports arent supposed to compete against domestic products in the "free enterprise" "world marketplace" of the usa? (and i realize those are sort of mutually exclusive terms).

i think the first one is the key: licensing agreements.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby dubstar » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:39 am

turntable lab in new york has the LP...good group of people, orders usually sent out quickly

http://www.turntablelab.com/labindub/labindub11.html

jb welda wrote:dubstar: because licensing agreements cover this record and not the others? because it is practically the same release and imports arent supposed to compete against domestic products in the "free enterprise" "world marketplace" of the usa? (and i realize those are sort of mutually exclusive terms).

i think the first one is the key: licensing agreements.

one love
jah bill
dubstar

Postby jb welda » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:44 am

thanks for the heads up dubstar.

ian was nice enough to offer to pick me one up at the soul jazz store but on further thought i think it will be too expensive to bother with given the shipping to the usa, so im glad i have a potential source here in the states.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Return to General discussion