Black & White Label

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Black & White Label

Postby Dubac » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:33 pm

An earlier post about companion CDs (Phase One on B&F/Motion) got me thinking about Carlton Patterson's stuff on Black & White.

Copies of his JA 7" re-issues crop up regularly on Ernie's and elsewhere, so I guess Carlton is still active? But I can only ever remember seeing one CD - the Pressure Sounds 'Psalms of Dub' set.

Are there any others around? If not, would somebody (James, are you there :wink: ) consider putting one together for the international market? There must be plenty of tracks - Vocal, DJ and Dub cuts of several rhythms - that PS overlooked, as happened with the first Phase One CD.

And any problems with Carlton not being well known to HMV browsers could easily be sorted by giving King Tubby prominence - he gets sole credit on almost all of the B sides that ought to be included.

Anyhow, I thought I'd open this up for discussion rather than try Motion direct - so we can see if those 7" B&W sounds really are only popular on my decks.

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Dubac » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:37 pm

Damn! Always get something wrong :oops:

I meant Psalms of Drums of course. 'Psalms of Dub' is one of the Tubby B-sides.

D (now for Dunce?)
Dubac

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:37 pm

There is one Carlton Patterson produced compilation in the Reggae's Greatest Hits serie on Heartbeat. It's volume 8 I believe. Don't know of any others.
BMC

black and white label

Postby martian » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:12 pm

Total Recall vol 10 on VP (VP1508) consists of the following:
1. Hypocrite - Carlton Patterson
2. Warm and Sunny Day - Barrington Levy
3. Mr. Doc - Sugar Minott
4. Mr. Music Man - Hugh Brown
5. On Bending Knees - Carlton Patterson
6. One Time Ringo - Johnny Ringo
7. Weather Man Skank
8. Dip Them Bedward - Dillinger
9. Love Is Treasure
10. Track Shoes - General Echo
11. I Admire You - Larry Marshall
12. All Kind a People - Sugar Minott
13. Can't Wine - I-Roy
14. Country Gal - Stanley Beckford

all produced by Carlton Patterson
martian

Postby BMC » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:17 pm

Ai, that's the one I meant, so not only the vol. was wrong, I also mixed up two entirely different series. :roll:

Ooops. :D
BMC

Postby Ekki » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:07 pm

Total Recall Vol.10 is a good album too!

Boy, I miss the old Archive - lot of info about "Black & White" there...
Ekki

more black & white

Postby Anonymous » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:25 pm

my first post on the new board!

there's also a next black & white comp out there, can't recall title or label at the moment, but it had "come nurse" by welton irie, "row mr. fisherman" by sugar minott, the discomix of "it's raining" by carlton and trinity, plus some of the popular tunes you'd expect. a very nice collection.
Anonymous

Postby jb welda » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:19 am

yes hot milk i have that one too...called something like reggae classics vol 1 (never saw a vol 2). i think theres some overlap with the pressure sounds and the vp one but they are all killer all the way through.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Black & White Label (2)

Postby Dubac » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:12 am

Dubac wrote:An earlier post about companion CDs (Phase One on B&F/Motion) got me thinking about Carlton Patterson's stuff.

Copies of his JA 7" re-issues crop up regularly on Ernie's and elsewhere, so I guess Carlton is still active? But I can only ever remember seeing one CD - the Pressure Sounds 'Psalms of Dub' set. Are there any others around?

Dubac

And in Ernie's today:

1. Carlton Patterson & Trinity - It's Raining
2. Dillinger - You Me Love
3. Welton Irie - Come Nurse
4. Barrington Levy - Look How Much
5. Ringo - One Time Ringo
6. Carlton Patterson & Lloyd Parks - Let Me Go Girl
7. Joseph Cotton - Ital A De Best
8. Carlton Patterson - Pressure & Slide
9. Ringo - Push Lady Push
10. Sugar Minott - Mr. Fisherman
11. Eek A Mouse - Tell Them
12. King Tubby - Psalm Of Drum

Essential Pick

REVIEW
Recorded approx 1977-1980; great selection of rare singles from the 'Black & White' label; excellent sound quality; includes several rhythms from the Mikey Dread album 'Dread At The Controls'

MUSICIANS
BACKED BY: Sly & Robbie, Soul Syndicate, Lloyd Parks, Bobby Ellis, Tommy McCook, Deadly Headley

And it's labelled 'Volume 1' - maybe more to come :?: Does Carlton read this Board, I wonder :wink:

Dubac
Dubac

Return to General discussion