Joe Gibbs Label

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Joe Gibbs Label

Postby David » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:21 am

I have that Culture "When two T clash" on JGM - Joe Gibbs Music label, it says its produced in 1980........so what I wonder is: When did actually Joe Gibbs press his latest records? And was this JBM label a later version of the original Joe Gibbs? When did Rocky One occur? And last but not least: Where is the Africa Almighty Dub series available at the moment?
David

Postby Dubac » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:43 am

David,

On that last one, here's what I wrote previously to someone asking a similar question:

"...the original LPs were issued individually at the same time in the late 1970s as Chapters 1, 2 & 3 on Lightning Records in the UK. All were perfect sound quality in every respect - just like the most famous Joe Gibbs/Errol Thompson production, Culture's 'Two Sevens Clash'. I have since found Chapter 4 on vinyl, but that was put together in the following year and was only available on import - my own copy is a typically dodgy JA pressing.

The albums were put onto 2 CDs much later (mid 1990s?) - Chapters 1 & 2 and Chapters 3 & 4. But I have only seen them advertised on sales lists, never in person. I do occasionally see re-issues/re-presses of the vinyl, but the colours on the covers are washed out, so they are probably pirate copies. I don't take much notice usually (because I have them already!) but if I see them again soon, I will remember you and let you know.

Dubac"

In the same thread, someone else said the vinyl LPs came up regularly on E-Bay and were normally not too expensive.

As for the 7" singles, they've been pushing them out far more recently than 1980! Most of the Joe Gibbs Record Globe JA re-presses these days have "Gold Series" written in small print on the right-hand side of the label. Generally they are undated, but those that do have a year of issue tend to show 1999, 2000 or 2001.
Dubac

Postby jay-b » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:48 am

as i see it...

(1) original issues of most joe gibbs LP's came out in JA on Joe Gibbs Record Globe in the mid to late 70's

(2) some of these issued out of the UK on Lightning shortly afterwards (beginning in the late 70's)

(3) circa 1980/81 many of them were then reissued under the Joe Gibbs JGM banner out of Florida

(4) in mid to late 80's some emerged on UK Blue Moon

(5) early 90's saw Rocky One swing into operation following the infamous "somebody loves you honey" inspired demise of Joe Gibbs proper...
jay-b

Postby David » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:06 am

o.k., have to look at that stuff closer in my shop. By the way the Culture record I have sounds quite resonable, it doenst get much better in JA I think...besides probably the original 70ies issues.
David

Return to General discussion