Trojan box sets question

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Trojan box sets question

Postby danielmak » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:32 pm

Trojan seems to be pumping out box sets like crazy, which makes me a little leary. Any comments on TROJAN RARITIES BOX SET (50TH BOX SET) or the Trojan 12" Box set? Take care.
danielmak

Postby Pluto » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:46 am

I only have a handful of those Box Sets (the concepts are pretty vague and sometimes a bit silly while I prefer artist or producer-based discs & compilations), but the 12-inch box set is really worth getting as there are many good (and some rare) tunes included.
Pluto

Postby Dubac » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:34 am

Yep, sadly the law of diminishing returns applies to those sets.

They started off as a good way of re-issuing the old catalogue, much of it for the first time on CD. It might have been better if they'd planned to issue at least 50 from the start and organised them accordingly. But instead they soon started duplicating themselves and, in some cases, seemingly scraping the barrel to find content that matched whatever daft concept they could think of for a title.

But there are exceptions and, like Pluto, I think the 12" set is one of them - but it may be because it focuses more on my era. Just before the old board closed, I think we all agreed there was an otherwise unavailable Black Ark track on it, and that alone could make it an essential purchase for some!

I haven't got 'Rarities', but I believe the tracks were selected from suggestions posted by the Trojan Forum members. So there shouldn't be any overlap and if you don't like it, don't blame Sanctuary this time.

For anyone who hasn't started collecting this stuff yet, I think HMV (in the UK) had an exclusive issue where they packed the sets in threes - ie 150 tracks over nine discs - for fifteen quid or so. Which to be fair isn't bad value even with a bit of duplication.

Dubac
Dubac

Postby DrSuperlove » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:14 pm

i like the Rocksteady and Roots sets though you may have much of the material on other releases, the Roots box has a handful of Lee Perry tunes culled from their various Perry comps - but taken face value those are pretty good sets, same with British Singles but you're bound to have most of that already
DrSuperlove

Postby Fargo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:09 pm

I think the Revive one was well thought of plus Rocksteady. You have to support Rocksteady reissue regardless of whether you have it all or not
Fargo

Postby Dubac » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:16 pm

Over on the Trojan Forum they seem to have an ongoing poll to find the best Boxed sets, and naturally a lot of posters leave comments too. The threads shouldn't take long to find if anyone wants advice on which of these sets to buy.
Dubac

Postby Zapatoo_the_Tiger » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:17 pm

Some Box Sets are a bit hit and miss - thus if you're new to them, with the exception of the dreaded Ska Revival Box Set, any will be at a minimum, adequate - thinking about it, the 70s Box Set isn't brilliant though :?

Over on the Trojan forum, there's a view that disk 3 doesn't usually make it, quality-wise.

Best ones - maybe the 12", Revive, Reggae Rarities, Originals, Instrumentals, Skinhead, Nyabinghi, Rocksteady - in no particular orde and IMHO of course.

I have them all, BTW
If it don't turn you on, you oughtta leave it alone!!

See me at: http://www.trojanrecords.co.uk/forum/index.php
Zapatoo_the_Tiger

Postby James » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:57 pm

The Revive is the best that I've got... the forthcoming Ska Rarities one looks promising too...
James

Postby Jackie Pablo » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:14 pm

For £6.99 the Calypso Box Set is a great pick up.

At full price it's not so attractive.

Production wise you get 8 tracks from Arthur 'Duke' Reid's catalogue, 5 from Sonia Pottinger, 4 from W.I.R.L. and a good mix of other lesser known names. Probably less filler than most of the other boxes (excluding the Nyabinghi box, which is one of the few that didn't get reduced in price in the HMV clearout sale)
Jackie Pablo

Postby Moses » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:12 pm

Both sets are excellent: Also pick up Revive and Rare Groove.
Moses

Return to General discussion