Help with Sugar Minott 10" - Studio One?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Help with Sugar Minott 10" - Studio One?

Postby Angel Gabriel » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:06 am

Hi all,

Going through my collection for the first time in about 10 years and I found the following:

Sugar Minott - 10" - Showcase - On the Up Tempo label - UT 1

S plus One Production
Published by Jamrec

A side:

Allkinda People
Dub
You are always around
Trying to Fool I

B side

Fight Against Dread
Dub
The Love We Had
Dub

The backing tracks definitely sound like a Studio One production and it seems to be a Studio One release..however..I am not sure..anyone have any information..a story regarding this record?

any info will be appreciated..

jah guide

gabriel
Angel Gabriel

Postby ephteeay » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:02 am

all i know is the riddims are studio one riddims..

i know one for sure is heptones tripe girl riddim (1st cut @ studio 1) i dont know when the LP was voiced though ..

.....and... juha will tell you more.
ephteeay

All Kind A People

Postby Ringo » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:14 am

A collectors piece this, Mr Gabriel. Coxsone voiced the Sugary one during his stint at Brentford Road - around 1978/9 at a guess & pulled out half a dozen sound system dubplate mixes for the Uptempo showcase. I think it was released through Coxsone's New York operation in the early 80's hence the Uptemp labelling but I may be wrong on that.

A joy to listen to, espcially the double dose of the Hot Milk for Fight Against Dread, Mr Fire Coal Man for All Kinda People & the aforementioned Tripe Girl for Trying To Fool I.

Worth a bob or two, e-babylon-wise, but of course you will keeping hold to pass on to your grandchildren.

MSE
Ringo

Postby Jackie Pablo » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:50 pm

Jackie Pablo

Postby jay-b » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:12 am

"Uptempo showcase" definately a UK issue - nice collection for studio one fans but not up to the standard of the easier to get "live loving" or "showcase". No sleeve when originally released. The label on my copy rather cutely states "S Plus One Production Published by Jamrec". To me tracks sound like they were voiced closer to release date - ie early/mid 80's. Perhaps initially Dodd turned a blind eye because he realised Sugar might of been owed the odd royalty or two?

While we're on the subject of sugar's ten inch releases my favourite is "dancehall showcase" for the essential "easy squeeze make no riot"
and "dancehall style" complete with dubs ....
jay-b

Postby Dubac » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:45 am

Seeing the more widely available "Showcase" mentioned reminded me:

I have the Heartbeat CD, and much as I love the song 'Guidance', the tempo of the rhythm noticably slows in some places - as if it was taken from an original off-centre 12" or something. I don't mind a bit of surface noise occasionally, but that sort of thing seems to ruin songs.

So - has anyone else noticed this on the album? If so, is there a better version anywhere? Does this SI riddim have a name? Have any other artists used it? Ta.
Dubac

Postby Rootsman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:51 am

The 10" was released by Uptempo in the UK, licensed from Sugar who had "liberated" some riddims from Studio One, apparently as he was disgruntled over the royalty situation
Rootsman

Postby JV » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:43 pm

Guidance is Studio 1 recut of Max Romeo & Glen Adams: Jordan River (GG 1971, Alvin Ranglin).
Better version? Heartbeat's CD version is faulty and has some some nasty overdubs on that track too. I don't notice any fault on my original copy (ultra clean pressing btw).
JV

Postby Dubac » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:11 pm

Thanks JV,

So do I take it this 'Showcase' album was an original Studio One LP which you have (and it sounds fine). Heartbeat then re-released it on CD (with overdubs) and that one isn't OK - as both of us have mentioned. And presumably if Heartbeat have issued it on LP too, it would be just as bad.

Meaning my only option is to keep an eye out for a mint copy of an old Studio One LP, I suppose?
Dubac

sugar minott uptempo 10"

Postby orijahnal » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:16 am

this was realeased on uptempo uk label.
this label is owned by steve king who at the time had a partner called sugar minott. smugg in the past have reissued this cat.
uptempo are about to reissue a lot of the back cat on 7/10/12"
also a couple of lps.
orijahnal

Return to General discussion