Proud Tradition

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Proud Tradition

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:31 am

Continuing the proud tradition on this board, of the informed discussion and debate, regarding the micro-topography of North East London.........

Also, to assist Gordon on the 'Mash it Up!' weekend...........

I have it on good authority that London's finest kebab house is located but a stones throw from 'Mash it Up!' in the N16 area of Hackney. Foolishly, I forgot to get the name of the place from the person who told me this.

Can you help?

Many thanks

Baldy.
Anonymous

Postby Jack Johnson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:58 am

OK, Mr Greedy Gord..... The Kebab Mecca you are searching for is in ARCOLA STREET off stoke newington high street...don't ask me what it's called but it has the Don Turkish Chef in London, apparently. Absolutely the wickedest Kebab i have ever tasted (and i ain't that much of a fan). Don't ask me what it's called...something Ocakbasi for sure!! theres only one there. Enjoy, and watch that heart rate!! Methinks you'll never look back up north for a kebab again Gord! :wink:
Jack Johnson

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:39 am

Thank you Jerry.

Baldy.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:11 am

Cheers guys!

Last time I was down, on the way home from Bunny Lee's party, Richie and Jah Reel took me down Stokie high street and most places were shut(this was 5am or something lol) but there was this one place on the corner of the high street and another street that was like a small sit down restaurant type place with a yellow sign above the door, forgot what it was called now but the kebab was quite nice. The highlight though was the soft chewy latticed bread the kebab was in, like a cross between a pastry and a nan bread - is this some kind of special Turkish bread? It was gorgeous.

Looking forward to this "king of kebabs" :D

I also need some patties and bagels to take home with me.

Respect

Gordon The Glutton
Anonymous

Postby Jack Johnson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:18 am

Yes Gord, that bread is inna "Ocakbasi" style....you can usually get it if you ask at most of them good kebabys!! As for the bagels, you have to check opposite the police station on the corner of stoke newington High Street (baldy knows where..) the cheapest, freshest and most popular bagelry for miles around NO JOKE! And if you want pizza, La Porchetta in Stroud Green Road Finsbury Park is the living! about £6 for a pizza that could even have you struggling, massive and killer italian thin pizza. My number 1 London restaurant for years!!!! Brick Lane for currys obviously.
Jack Johnson

Postby Jack Johnson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:19 am

...and hello baldy! hows it going? had kind of forgotten that message was from you, being on a subject closer to Gords heart!! hope the preperations are going well. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: !!!
Jack Johnson

You've been Mangalled

Postby hwheelan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:26 am

Turkish on Arcola St Jerry is Mangal......sister outlet (also Mangal and regular 'haunt' of Gilbert & George the artists) is on Kingsland Rd, but the Arcola St gaff is a bit cheaper - both are great though!
Gord, the one you went to last time is way up in Stokey somewhere, bit further off.
Best Turkish food in London, no competition!
Pilot
hwheelan

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:37 am

Hmm - I wonder if there would be value in doing a poll on this important subject.

Jerry - Thank you mate - yes the preparations are going well. About a million zillion people have said they're up for it - I just need to see the colour of their money now :roll: . Actually I need to send you an email about sound. Soon come.

Respect

Baldy
Anonymous

Postby Bilko » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:43 am

Please - it is Stoke Newington, NEVER Stokey! One sure way to **** off us locals is to adopt the 3 wheel baby buggy, ethnic hat term 'Stokey'.
The best kebeb is Pamut Kale on Stoke Newington Church Street, just up from the corner with the High Street. If you're in our part of town don't forget to check Gladdy Wax.
in every category my subject is version
Bilko

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:50 am

My apologies Bilko!

Looks like I'm going to have to try all suggestions for kebabs lol :D

I'll put off my diet til the summer......

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Bilko » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:52 am

Mixed meat kebab, chicken and lamb is the business!
Bilko

Postby Jack Johnson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:22 pm

ha ha! I think the term "stokey" was there before the yuppie scum arrived mate!! :evil: And each has their preferences, Gord! I wouldn't take my word as bond, not being a kebabophile myself, but it IS generally accepted with Turkish Peeps that the Mangal on Arcola St. has THE MASTER TURK CHEF!!! the other Mangal isn't as good, that much i have found out for myself, but maybe the same if you take away (nice atmosphere in arcola!) Yes, baldy the colour of my money is still red, as in "in the..." ...sooon!
Jack Johnson

Postby Bilko » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:25 pm

In all me 40 years 'Stokey' has been a punchable offence hereabouts.
Bilko

Return to General discussion