[OT] Reggae week end in London : the froggy needs help !

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

[OT] Reggae week end in London : the froggy needs help !

Postby zonard » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi,

I'll go to London on mid february for a big concert with Marcia Griffiths, Ken Boothe, Leroy Smart and Freddie McGregor and I need some infos to plan a little bit this travel.

This concert is on 13th Feb, but I will arrive on Saturday 12 to leave on Tuesday 15.

Do you have some ideas for me to find a good concert / sound system for the 12 and the 14 ?

I've seen that Iration Steppas plays in their club in Leeds on Saturday 12, but it is pretty far from London !
Anyway, I've found Megabus on the web and the prices for London - Leeds is very attractive ! I've chosen the hours already and the return ticket is around £7.5 for 2 persons !
Do you know Megabus ? Is it good or bad reputation ?

For the 14, I've seen that Gregory Issacs is playing, but the ticket is too expensive for us (I want to go back in Lyon with records !), so I'm looking for a pub with good jamaïcan music or something like this.

Moreover, I want to visit some record shops I didn't visit during my first travel to London for reggae such as Dubvendor (the big one ;)), Peckings and Waxatak
If you have any suggestions, you're welcome !!

PS : my girlfriend wants to see the famous Doc Marten's shoe shop but I can't find any infos on the web...

Thanks by advance for your help :)
zonard

Postby Bilko » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:55 pm

Shop for boots is probably Holt's, right next to Camden Town tube and opposite the Halfway House pub.
Better deals at Blackman's on Cheshire Street but he ain't open on Saturdays.
in every category my subject is version
Bilko

Postby rutabowa » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:03 pm

i think the deal with megabus is hardly any room for luggage and a long journey time, but otherwise ok. i would highly recommend the leeds night though.
rutabowa

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:06 pm

You want to try and arrange a session with London Baffers around someone's gaff(house) mate - always a highlight of a London trip!

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby scarface » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:18 pm

i would also reccomend the iration steppas at subdub (Leeds west indian centre) brilliant night that! i'll be there for definite!
scarface

Postby zonard » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:27 pm

Do you know approx. the power of the Subdub sound system ?I hope it won't be 30K in a club for 300 persons
Last time in Lyon King Shiloh played with 16K in a club for 500 persons and it was hard for me...
zonard

Postby zonard » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:36 pm

rutabowa wrote:i think the deal with megabus is hardly any room for luggage and a long journey time, but otherwise ok. i would highly recommend the leeds night though.

I'm sorry for my english level but I don't understand the term "hardly any room for luggage"... does it means that we can't have some luggages ?
zonard

Postby zonard » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:37 pm

gordon wrote:You want to try and arrange a session with London Baffers around someone's gaff(house) mate - always a highlight of a London trip!

Do you go to the show on 13th ?
zonard

Postby liukchik » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:48 pm

The DM shop is in Covent Grden (or at least it was a couple of years ago...)
liukchik

Postby Liam » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:01 pm

the DM shop is no longer in Covent Garden - or at least the location it used to be in, on the plaza
https://www.facebook.com/partialrecords

https://soundcloud.com/partialrecords

https://twitter.com/partialrecords
Liam

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:11 pm

I won't be there Zonard, I live in the North of England, near Newcastle, about 6 hours from London. I'm just saying that if you let some of the London guys know your whereabouts I'm sure you'll be made most welcome.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:56 pm

Hi Zonard

The sites to check for reggae listings are:

http://www.reggaenews.co.uk/events/events.asp

and:

http://rastaites.com/events/events.htm

Enjoy your trip to Londres.

Respect

Baldy
Anonymous

Postby hwheelan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:03 pm

I'm sorry for my english level but I don't understand the term "hardly any room for luggage"... does it means that we can't have some luggages ?
Thanks

Zonard....ca veut dire 'tres peu de places pour les baggages'......
Passes moi un petit message privee et si t'as des questions sur Londres etc je peux peut-etre t'aider.
Amicalement
Pilot
hwheelan

Postby rutabowa » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:55 pm

actually it seems that you can take one standard size suitcase and one piec of hand luggage on megabus... on peut apporter un seul valise et une seule peèce d'autre bagage sur le voyage... pas trop mal.
rutabowa

Postby Varese » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:44 pm

Re: Subdub up in Leeds
One of my favorite nights this- well worth the trip. The soundsystem is tiptop but only makes your eyeballs and bowels vibrate if you stand at the back near the speakers (or next to the walls). Then again, I quite like my eyeballs to vibrate... If it gets to much though you can always go to the other room where they usually play a more classic rootsy vibe.
Enjoy your trip!
V
Varese

Next

Return to General discussion