What I can't stand from some labels....

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

What I can't stand from some labels....

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:05 pm

What I can't stand from some labels, like Jammy's, Midnight Rock, Joe Gibbs and sometimes Volcano is (besides the often lousy pressing) that they NEVER seem to be able to put the right version on the flip!!! It's always a dub of some different tune and often from a tune that is also doing the rounds on repress, but with yet another dub on the flip. They DO have the dubs, just don't care to put the corresponding one on the right single! Bah!

They should take a look at labels like Moodisc and Impact: excellent pressing and correct dub on the flip.
BMC

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:14 pm

yeah, i don't care for that either, bmc. i don't know if this is an actual strategy (like they're doing us some service) or if it's simply a lack of attention, like they don't care. frustrating, indeed.

that said, i find most early 80s joe gibbs dubs very boring, and at least for me they seem to be the biggest offender. but at least having the matching riddim would be appreciated.
Anonymous

Postby dots69 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:48 pm

likewise i find the lack of corresponding version frustrating. can anyone shed light on why this is the case with the labels mentioned ? always baffled me !

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby hot water » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:52 pm

haven't you guys ever seen pictures of tapes (stampers, etc) stacked in a studio/storage area?

that's how things get separated, then the producers can't be arsed to go fishing for a 'version' when that's not the point of what they're pressing... can barely be arsed to reissue most tunes/oldies in the first place.

--
:: hot water :::::::::::
hot water

Postby ephteeay » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:07 am

one of the reasons i pay 10 pounds more for an original..
ephteeay

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:54 am

I also think they don't care / pay attention..
as opposed to on purpose..
FWIW
Chocolate Soldier

Postby rez » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:35 pm

yeah it is annoying although I don't really care for version too much so it usually doesn't bother me....and sometimes I get a bonus vocal of a completely different tune on the flip which is nice!

Would be good if they could get it together but I'd be more keen to see them do something about the shitty standards of *some* of the re-issues.
rez

Postby ephteeay » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:52 pm

the strange thing is that most bsides on joe gibbs represses have the correct name for the dub/an appropriate name

lets say the song is called alphabet reggae.. the dub would be called abc dub or something... instead of just "version"

what ive got from joe gibbs represses:
a side and b side

trinity - top ranking (on marcias "im still in love with you" bside)
trinity - top ranking dub (on the bside of b melodys "joy in the morning")

why dont they press this on one 7" ?

a good 7" to look out for on gibbs.. with a great dub is naggo morris's "susu pan rasta" (vocal of fari's heavy manners)
ephteeay

Return to General discussion