U Roy - Right Time Rockers (The Lost Album)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

U Roy - Right Time Rockers (The Lost Album)

Postby ragudave » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:38 pm

Does U Roy get any better than Right Time Rockers?

Dave

http://www.roots-archives.com/release/1619

http://www.reggae-reviews.com/uroy.html
ragudave

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:52 pm

Yep he does, on those Duke Reid produced Treasure Isle riddims. Unbeatable.
BMC

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:05 pm

In my opinion it gets a lot better than Right Time Rockers, I like the Virgin Prince Tony stuff a good deal more, Dread In A Babylon for example, the Treasure Isle stuff is better, i guess if you are a Channel One nut then it must be a gift, but frankly it don't get me rockin' to the A Class Champion like i wanna.
Anonymous

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:49 pm

i rate the prince tony productions as his best,dread ina babylon.rasta ambassaor and jah son of africa...the latter two are top notch.
'Blessed is the Man who walketh not in the counsel of the Ungodly'
Ash

Postby will-I » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:32 pm

which album is he backed by the gladiators?
"Music Is The Weapon Of the Future"
will-I

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:58 pm

The Gadiators definately appear on Natty Rebel,Rasta Ambassador And Jah Son Of Africa,though i'm not sure whether they back him they do appear on vocals as he chats over some of their rhythms.....i'm not sure about the other Prince Tony production Dread ina Babylon tho.
Ash

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:01 pm

i didn't know this Channel 1 cd was out,will be adding this to this months purchases,if i can find it local.
Ash

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:47 pm

Ash, as far as i know it isn't out or anything, it's a supposedly now difficult to find Lp ..

here are the detials I have on it.

Vinyl Lp / U-Roy 'right time rockers \ The lost album' the label is sound system - matrix - ss 001 1, produced by the man himself as hugh roy released in 1998 in the U.S.A.
Anonymous

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:52 pm

ernie b has it on cd for 10.99 currently. that makes me think dub vendor probably does too.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:53 pm

I think this album has been released back in the day too, but under the title "Dubbing To The King Ina Higher Rank". I have a CD-R of that version of the album from Ron, which only contains 12 tracks and different titles, but is the one with all those Channel One (mainly Diamonds) riddims, of which many are also on Vital Dub. Can't remember the label.
BMC

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:02 pm

Ah right, cheers for that JB, must have been re-issued then, yeah that sounds like the same Lp/set of songs BMC.
Anonymous

Postby ragudave » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:59 am

bmd wrote:Ash, as far as i know it isn't out or anything, it's a supposedly now difficult to find Lp ..

here are the detials I have on it.

Vinyl Lp / U-Roy 'right time rockers \ The lost album' the label is sound system - matrix - ss 001 1, produced by the man himself as hugh roy released in 1998 in the U.S.A.

I only have it on CD and picked it up second hand a couple of years ago.
ragudave

Postby informer » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:15 am

reggae experts holy grail "Right time" lp by the diamonds.
i never liked it too much. so i didn't look for this u roy set.

btw: never was a big channel one fan .... prefer randy's sound.

if i may still mention another good u-roy album: "The originator"
together with Nuroy (which must be U Brown)
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby Dubac » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:54 am

Some more info on ‘Right Time Rockers’ (extracts from the notes to the Sound System release):

“In early 1976 Roy came to Channel One to record a series of tunes on the hardest, most durable riddims of the rockers era. These recordings were not intended for general release, but were “specials” originally intended for exclusive use in the Jamaican sound systems. Eventually much of the material was released in Jamaica on a very rare limited edition lp. The sessions were recorded in the dark early morning hours and they reveal a smokey, relaxed, informal and very improvisational side of Hugh Roy rarely heard away from his live sound system performances. Roy was obviously in great spirits for these sessions, enjoying the familiar riddims and his own facility with them.

“Among the classic Channel One riddims reworked by Hugh Roy on this album are ‘Right Time’, ‘Why Me Black Brother’, ‘I Need A Roof’, ‘Have Mercy’ and others by the Mighty Diamonds. He also conquers the ‘Ali Baba’ riddims by Jackie Edwards and the ‘Dress Back Wicked’ riddim by Earth & Stone.

“Hugh Roy and Sound System would like to thank Leroy Jodie Pearson for the loan of his rare originals”

Dubac
Dubac

Postby informer » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:04 pm

"hardest riddims of the rockers era"

lol
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Next

Return to General discussion