Top 100 JA albums - the results!!!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby !Alhazred » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:37 pm

Great list! Am wondering about the Susan Cadogan and Ruddy Mills in the first list, though, Susan's name sounds familiar but I don't think I ever heard anything by her and I never ever heard of Ruddy Mills, who's that guy? I'll have to keep an eye out for that album, I suppose.

Anyway, thanks for starting (and finishing) this and too bad so little people bothered to vote...

edit: some punctuation...
!Alhazred

Postby gryffe » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:23 pm

Natty Rajah wrote:
Quote:
22= Dennis Brown - Joseph's Coat Of Many Colours

38= Dennis Brown - Promised Land

are these not the same album (the latter plus a few bonus tracks, but essentially the same if you consider the Heartbeat and Soul Jazz Spear sets equivalent)?

Yes in my opinion. All the tracks on JCOMC appear on Promised Land, along with extra tracks.

Perhaps somebody from B&F can explain why the JCOMC tracks were scattered throughout Promised Land and not kept to the original running order. The extra tracks could perhaps have bookended the JCOMC tracks, or been tagged at the end. Sorry, but this had bugged me since I bought this , but not enough to put me off - its a top top release :D
gryffe

Postby Freddy C » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:29 pm

Nice work, Zap!

!Alhazred wrote:Great list! Am wondering about the Susan Cadogan and Ruddy Mills in the first list, though, Susan's name sounds familiar but I don't think I ever heard anything by her and I never ever heard of Ruddy Mills, who's that guy? I'll have to keep an eye out for that album, I suppose.

Susan Cadogan is probably most well known for "Hurts So Good" which is a cover of a mid 70s soul tune by Millie Jackson. Don't know how many times Susan cut that tune but there is slightly later version than the one on the Trojan album and it's produced by Pete Waterman! :shock:
Freddy C

Postby Reggie Love » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:15 am

Well done for doing the list - very interesting. There's lots I haven't heard so ought not to argue too much with selections -obviously its all opinions. However can't resist chipping in - Good to see Studio One scorchers so high but I thought Studio one discomix was a bit dull (reletively speaking). Also what happened to Haul and pull up selector and the crowning of prince Jammy. Is Jammy's work represented?
Only bobby digital set is anything like modern - Big up Bobby
Reggie Love

Postby ian » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:07 pm

Well done on compiling this Zap, it certainly makes interesting reading. The main thing that stands out for me is it's almost all 60's and 70's lp's with only a handful from the 80's and only 1 (I think) from the 90's. But I guess if this poll had also appeared on a dancehall forum then the results would have been slightly different. I did put in a couple of lp's from the 90's on my first list but when I had to re-arrange it, the 90's lp's were the first to go which probably says more about me than the quality of music post-Sleng Teng.

Also I think I may have spotted another double appearance. On the comp list the title 'Keep The Pressure Down' appears twice. I guess this is the same lp which is a comp of Jimmy Radway productions on Fe Me Time. (sorry if this means more work for you!)
ian

Postby tingjunkie » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:13 pm

Great work Zap! Wish I had been paying attention to the board when you were collecting votes. If you run it again, perhaps you could talk the moderators into making the post a "sticky," or whatever the heck it's called.

In regards to this list being a bit biased towards Roots... No doubt. No "Where There Is Life" -Luciano, "Black Woman and Child" -Sizzla, or "Til Shiloh" -Buju Banton? Case closed. Still a fantastic list and great resource though. Thanks for the hard work Zap.
tingjunkie

Postby Grumpy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:18 am

When I finally went soft about half a dozen years ago and bought a house and, to mark the end of my era of anti-materialism, purchased a ghetto blaster to go with the house, I decided I needed to broaden my reggae horizons beyond the sort of Wailers mainstream. I found the Steve Barrow and Peter Dalton 100 essential reggae CDs booklet a very useful initial route map. I think that for any relative newcomer to the genre, these new charts provide a superb complement to the Barrow/Dalton list. For example how gratifying to see real crown jewels like Children of Jah and the recently discussed We are Getting Bad compilations at nos 6 and 13 respectively. I came on these relatively late in the day and cannot begin to say how much they have improved the quality of life at Grumpy Manor. How nice to see them so prominently indicated in these charts and how I wish I'd discovered them earlier.

I don't think you should be disappointed with only 49 participants, Joe. I think that's a pretty decent "quorum". (I believe that when Sight and Sound conduct their once-a-decade best-film-of-all-time polls, they canvass only 50 directors and 50 critics). And those 49 are reggae lovers. I suspect that similar polls in Mojo or whatever would rely on a much smaller sample. I suppose the pre-90s bias reflects the majority interest of B&F and Trojan forum contributors and should be seen in that light. There is bound to be the odd startling omission and questionable inclusion which is inevitable with a smallish vote. Like Natty Rajah I'm surprised the Twinkle Brothers Countryman didn't make it into the list and in retrospect I wish that I had perhaps pushed it further up my own chart, but, never mind, this is a valuable resource and I hope you'll make sure it's permanently and safely (and prominently) archived, Joe. Top job.
Grumpy

Postby Zapatoo_the_Tiger » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:16 pm

Thanks for your positive words and comments all - perhaps 49 wasn't too bad a return on investment, after all.

As Chris (Grumpy) says you'll always get startling opmissions and strange inclusions with only this many voters - good thing in some ways that I asked for 10 selections in each of two categories. However, as has been inferred or mentioned, by and large the quality albums have percolated their way twords the tops of the lists.

I just checked the source of the data - the Rudy Mills album was only nominated once, but in first place - I don't have that album, though what little RM I do have I like, as much for the songs as for the Harriott/Crystalites involvement - a shining example of an anomoly!

I'll collate the rest of the votes soon and put them into a separate thread (also on Trojan) :wink: - that way, folk can see everything that was voted.

tingjunkie - Sizzla's "BW&C" did get a single point for a single nomination in 10th. place - I like that album, though being the age that I am, the "golden era" stuff means more to me than the newer material.

Luciano' s "Best Of..." crept in low down too :)
If it don't turn you on, you oughtta leave it alone!!

See me at: http://www.trojanrecords.co.uk/forum/index.php
Zapatoo_the_Tiger

Postby gryffe » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:57 pm

zap - i echo everything grumpy says - you did a sterling job.
49 votes is fine for these type of lists - if you got 200 say, there is a danger of more obscure records getting in the list and it perhaps not being truly representative.

slightly off topic, but talking of "startling omissions" from your list - the biggest startling omission I have saw in any list was when Uncut magazine did a poll of the Greatest 100 Singles released in the post punk era - eg 1976 till 2001 (when the poll was done). Incredibly, White Lines by Grandmaster Flash was not included. This record should be in the 100 Greatest Singles ever made, never mind Uncuts little list.
Startling inclusions - How about Arctic Monkeys just released debut album achieving No5 in NMEs just published 100 Greatest British Albums. Beggars belief, maybe not the fact it was in there, but No5!!
gryffe

Postby Zapatoo_the_Tiger » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:24 pm

gryffe wrote:zap - i echo everything grumpy says - you did a sterling job.

Startling inclusions - How about Arctic Monkeys just released debut album achieving No5 in NMEs just published 100 Greatest British Albums. Beggars belief, maybe not the fact it was in there, but No5!!
Thanks gryffe :)

Yes, the Arctic Monkeys - it's only been released just over a week (though I believe there's been Internet availability) - beggars belief indeed :mad: :mad:

I'll combine the 2 Dennis Brown albums and re-post the list...:wink:

Zapatoo_the_Tiger

Postby Zapatoo_the_Tiger » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:35 pm

List updated - Dennis Brown now up to 9= :wink:

Zapatoo_the_Tiger

Postby Cpt Nemo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:56 am

Fantastic effort on the list, Zap, although as others have said it's a shame it wasn't publicised more on the site, I'd like to have voted too.

My only other comment is that I'm stunned to see nothing by Mikey Dread on the list - or did I miss it? I've always felt Dread At The Controls is an essential for any collector. And only one Scientist/Roots Radics entry, is that right? Surprising.

And I hope everyone doesn't hate on me for it, but Heart Of The Congos never really did great things for me, although I own it on BAF. Much prefer some of the Tubby's and Pablo stuff.
Cpt Nemo

Postby ~E~ » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:11 am

Heart Of The Congos is at number one, and all is right with the world.

Ok, all is not right with the world, but the Congos at number one thing - that's right.
~E~

Postby Fastnbulbous » Tue May 02, 2006 9:34 pm

2 Bob Andy - Songbook

As far as I can tell, this is out of print. If not, could somone clue me in on where it's available?

I have an exclusion. This isn't surprising only because the only CD issue of it is Japanese --

Justin Hinds & the Dominoes * Jezebel (Island) 1976

This is just an amazing, beautiful album. It's in my top five of all time and just might move up to second behind The Congos -- I've listened to it a hundred times since I got it last year, and I'm still not sick of it.

I got my copy from a seller at MusicStack. It includes the following album, Just In Time which isn't nearly as great.
Fastnbulbous

Postby DrSuperlove » Tue May 02, 2006 10:37 pm

Fastnbulbous wrote:2 Bob Andy - Songbook

As far as I can tell, this is out of print. If not, could somone clue me in on where it's available?

I have an exclusion. This isn't surprising only because the only CD issue of it is Japanese --

still fairly easy to find in the uk at least (SOCD1121), try Dub Vendor's online store
Wickedness increase!
DrSuperlove

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion