Today's oldies-arrivals

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Today's oldies-arrivals

Postby BMC » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:46 pm

7":

Impact label:
Alton Ellis - Too Late To Turn Back Now / Augustus Pablo - Too Late Version
Bob Marley - Bus Dem Shut (Pyaka) / Lyrical Satirical I (COLORED VINYL)
Big Youth - Natty No Jester / Chicago Steve - Last Of The Jestering

~Excellent tunes, excellent pressing! The Marley on nice red vinyl~

Moodisc label:
Heptones - Love Without Feeling
Big Joe - Lick Them Face / Mudies All Stars - Dub Them Face
Prince Heron - Spanish Town Rock / Jah Lloyd - Jump Two Fence
Trinity - Give Me Love In The Morning / Mudies All Stars Mudie's Serenade

~The first three on the same riddim, the Trinity unrelated. Wicked tunes and again excellent pressings from Moodisc. The Jah Lloyd b-side is on a different riddim. Nice!~

Rockers Forever label:
Johnny Osbourne - If Jah Didn't Love You
Jr. Reid - Poorman Transportation
Michael Palmer - Na Plan No Robbery
Wailing Souls - Who Fa Say A The Best

~Early to mid 80s roots stylee. Ernie B says 1983, label says 1986, to me the Palmer sounds more like 86, the other three could be both. Lovely tunes, good pressing. Personally I like the Osbourne the least of the four. The riddim is a bit too sweet or something. Don't know, but not a bad tune.~

Various labels:
Pablo Moses - One People (remix) / The Rebels - Dub In Unity (Ja Man)
Still Cool - What A Shame / The Militants - Steve Biko (Field Marshall)
Theophilus Beckford - Easy Snappin / Gaylads - Slipping & Sliding (Studio One UK)
Lacksley Castell - What A Great Day / Version (Fatman)
Cultural Roots - Devil Ites / Dub (Penthouse Vintage)

~All 5 very nice and again mostly great pressings, the Cultural Roots' pressing is a bit less. Also the Lacksley, who I conscider one of the most overrated singers in reggae, is a very nice tune with nice dub on the flip. Not much more to say, I just love these tunes! :)~

Special mention:
Ini Kamoze - World A Music / Call A Taxi (Taxi)
Damian Marley - Welcome To Jamrock / Hey Girl (Ghetto Youth United)

~Bought these two as well, especially for the Marley, which I really wanted BAD! Such a wicked tune, though a shame that the pressing is not so good. It ofcourse uses a sample and the riddim of World A Music. I bought that 7" too, but that pressing is even worse. Nice to have it on single, though if I knew the pressing was like this I might have left it out of the order. No problems with the quality of the tunes ofcourse: wicked all the way!~

Nice catch if I may say so myself. A rootsy time ahead at casa de BMC! Image
BMC

Postby giab » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:02 am

yes BMC, that In Kamaze repress is terrible quality
I really wanna hear the dubs to those Ini Kamoze riddim tracks formt he singles
the very few i have are great
giab

Re: Today's oldies-arrivals

Postby Dubac » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:40 am

BMC wrote:7":
Moodisc label:
Heptones - Love Without Feeling
Big Joe - Lick Them Face / Mudies All Stars - Dub Them Face
Prince Heron - Spanish Town Rock / Jah Lloyd - Jump Two Fence
Trinity - Give Me Love In The Morning / Mudies All Stars Mudie's Serenade
~The first three on the same riddim,

..and there's more on that first riddim, at least these three:

John Holt - Gone Is Love/Version
Inge Larsen - Gone Is Love/Version
MBV & Mudie's All Stars - Theme From The Gun Court/No Parole

Someone once told me it was Lee Perry speaking on that last one: "Well my friend, I'm awfully sorry - but you are now in for indefinite detention!!"
Never been sure myself though.
Dubac

Postby j j » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:49 am

That's a nice crop of tunes there BMC.Have you picked up Carl Malcolms - No Jestering on impact?
Other nice ones on impact that you might want to check (if'n u don't already have em)
O Henry - Jumping/Revolutionaires - Skanking
Bobby Kalphat - Bobbys Theme
Jimmy London - A Little Love
Dr Alimantado/Peter Tosh - Mary Lou / A Little Melodica
Leonard Wilson - Searching for A Home

j j
j j

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:34 am

>>I consider one of the most overrated singers in reggae (lacksley)

i think lacksley has a good voice which sounds good over heavy riddims..
i wouldnt say hes over rated at all.. its just a few people want to spend loads of money on his music because it's 'rare' as well as good (things which are better sell for less).. a lacksley craze.. i guess people will get over it someday... (i wont.. and think lacksley is underrated among the majority of people/reggae listeners etc... :) really!) also he's released lots of quality tunes .. almost all of it is good according to me..(lots of other artists have recorded SO much crap as well as good tunes but you see their cds in the shops...these are overrated singers....from the first time i heard lacksley (on a tape i bought in london) he stood out with tunes like government man, righteous stand, jah love is sweeter.. thats when my quest for lacksley tunes began..(i had no idea who he was/what he was/anything about him (also just fyi..not one marley tune has done to me what some lacksley tunes have done to me ..e.g. jah love is sweeter is one of my favourite tunes and has been for YEARS.. i havent got bored of it after 1000s of listens...wicked dub too..)

im not prepared to spend $250 for an LP (e.g. princess lady) but maybe i would if i had lots of money to spend....theres a lot more which sells for less which is as good / better... also lacksley LPs are not available on repress.. if they were (and if they were available in the past before the recent craze maybe hed just have been considered an average reggae artist), people wouldnt spend 150 GBP for his LPs maybe like they do today

id say 10 / 100 (or less) reggae people LOVE lacksley (i confess im one of them)... probably most reggae people just like his output... and some would dislike him or just think "why all the fuss" making them dislike it even more.. (maybe this is what happens to me with sizzla & co. & with you and lacksley)

maybe 3 weak (according to me) tunes out of the 30 tunes i know
not a bad percentage at all!..not that 30 is a lot.. but others have done worse..

i hope ive made some sense.
(morning glory needs to be repressed in the right way)
ephteeay

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:05 am

ephteeay

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:56 am

Ofcourse I understand where you're coming from ephteeay, it's simple: you rate Lacksley very highly. My problem with him is his voice, which annoys me after a few songs and I don't conscider him something more special than many other singers from the period and even conscider him less than quite some singers of the period. The riddims aren't the problem, it's his voice. I think he's overrated because of all the fuss around him and the crazy amount of money payed for those albums, albums I wouldn't pay more than 20 / 25 euro for (well maybe I would, to sell 'm for more later). I can't see why someone is willing to pay that amount for those imo average albums, even though they're not reissued. It's fuss based on hype instead of quality if you ask me.

I do rate some of his tunes though, I'm not saying he's crap, I just don't see / hear anything that makes Castell more special than the average JA singer from the 70s. I like that 12" with the Pappa Tollo toast and the 7" I just bought is nice too, Jah Love Is Sweeter is ok and there are a few more, but one at the time.

"maybe this is what happens to me with sizzla & co. & with you and lacksley"

There's one big difference though (I think) and that is that I buy and play Lacksley tunes and you don't with Sizzla & co. I have CD-R copies of Morning Glory, Princess Lady, Jah Fire and a bunch of his singles (7" and 12"), so I do know Lacksley tunes. :wink:

In the end, it's not important anyway. If you rate him that high, you play his tunes and I play one and switch to Sizzla after that. :lol:
BMC

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:00 am

j j wrote:That's a nice crop of tunes there BMC.Have you picked up Carl Malcolms - No Jestering on impact?

I wish I had, but it was out of stock. It's on the list because I gotta have it in combination with that superb Big Youth track (he rides that riddim great imo).

Other nice ones on impact that you might want to check (if'n u don't already have em)
O Henry - Jumping/Revolutionaires - Skanking
Bobby Kalphat - Bobbys Theme
Jimmy London - A Little Love
Dr Alimantado/Peter Tosh - Mary Lou / A Little Melodica
Leonard Wilson - Searching for A Home

I have the Henry and Wilson ones, will look out for the others, thanks for the tip!

Thans Dubac for the info too, will keep an eye out for those!
BMC

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:24 am

>>I do rate some of his tunes though, I'm not saying he's crap, I just don't see / hear anything that makes Castell more special than the average JA singer from the 70s.

yes definitely.. its not the voice you say "wow" about.. but for me its totally appropriate on those particular riddims (which are wicked imo)..it sounds right... and the lyrics i love!... (cos im a soppy b*stard when it comes to love)
its just that ken boothe didnt record an album over morning glory riddims for there to be an album better than 'morning glory' (not that itd definitely be better but you get what i mean).. im not saying LC has the greatest voice but i prefer the majority of lacksley castells work more than the majority of delroy wilsons work because im into the heavier minor key roots rather than major key rocksteady tunes for example..which makes me say "i love lacksley" and not "i love delroy"

something else: put anyone over a good riddim and its hard to be ruined..
90% of the time if i dont like a tune its because of the riddim.. if lacksley castell had only sung over the tunes on jimmy riley's "put the people first" LP i wouldnt pay a cent for it.. but he hasnt! and thats why im poor :)

have you heard play games / tug-a-war games?
the tracks on jah fire?? (mostly weak mundell tunes cos of the riddims!!(apart from title track) but GREAT lacksley.. you over there, princess lady (in a different fashion) etc...

anyway...
ephteeay

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:16 am

"Theophilus Beckford - Easy Snappin / Gaylads - Slipping & Sliding (Studio One UK) "

Does anyone know when that Gaylads tune was officially released? The label says 1960, but I'd say that's a bit too early to be true, or not?
BMC

Postby informer » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:39 am

"something else: put anyone over a good riddim and its hard to be ruined.."

second that to 90%, but there are still singers/djs who can ruin even the biggest backing track. don't know why producers sometimes choose so weak performers. maybe "Give the youth a try ..." or something like that.
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby Jackie Pablo » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:36 am

BMC,
'Easy Snapping' was originally released by Coxsone on Worldisc 1959. You are right about the date for 'Slipping & Sliding' not being 1960. It's official Jamaican release date was 1966.
Jackie Pablo

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:31 pm

Informative as always! Thanks a lot, Jackie!
BMC

Return to General discussion