'Black Roots - On The Frontline'

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

'Black Roots - On The Frontline'

Postby Dubac » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:59 pm

Just spotted this Makasound album at Ernie's: "Essential Pick! - 100% Roots And Culture!!!"

Sounds interesting, but who are they? Surely not the same Black Roots who covered Eastern Standard Time for Harry Mudie? And are the songs covers of the standards - Far Over, Blackheart Man, Tribal War etc. - or their own compositions with the same titles?

Anybody heard this who can tell us more or perhaps recommend it? Ta.

Dubac
Dubac

Postby Dadi Digi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:33 pm

Black Roots are from Saint Paul's, Bristol in the UK. That LP is taken from the soundtrack of the TV series called "The Frontline" which was shown on UK tele back in the 80's. It was about 2 brothers, Malcolm and Sheldon. Malcom was a UK cop and Sheldon was a Rasta. Good funny programme. But yes Black Roots (The band) are as rootsy as they come. Dont hesitate. A damn good roots LP.
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby Dadi Digi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:38 pm

In fact, looking at the tracklist on EB's. EVERY single one of there BOOM tracks are carried on that CD. I have a few of them on 12" which I picked up back in the day. You will love it !.
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby wareika » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:00 pm

the Mackasound reissue is a kinda of best of their first two LPs "Black Roots" (Kick label) & "The Frontline" (BBC Rec). These two Lps are their best stuff I know. I still missed the "In Session" LP which is apparently the other worth having LP.

Their reggae is realy strong and rootsy, but IMO it lacks of originality. Their best tune are "Juvenil Delinquant", "Tribal War" (from the first LP) and "War" & "Far Over" (from the second one).

After this two opus they worked with Mad Professor circa 86/87.

wareika
wareika

Postby pannyd » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:26 pm

Saw the TV programme on TV as a 14 year old - loved it .

Then on Radio One I accidentally heard Black Roots live session where they pretty much played a set of tracks on this album (whilst coming back from a football match in my dad's car - I remember pleading with my dad not to turn it off)

Bought the album (the first album I ever bought actually) , and was hooked on reggae for the next 20 years.

A classic album for me , wish i still had it.

I seem to remember that Black Cult Man and Juvenile Deliquent were the best (echoing what was said above).
pannyd

Postby pannyd » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:29 pm

oops make that Black Heart Man
pannyd

Postby DOOR PEEPER » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:49 pm

They were also excellent live and not afraid to venture out from the normal venues such as playing at a small sports centre near me in Kent.
The 12" Jah Woosh remix of Juvenile Delinquent from around 1985/8 is superb.
DOOR PEEPER

Postby wareika » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:21 pm

Pannyd, the show you listened on your dad's car could be the one issue on LP as "In Session". Not 100% sure tho'.

wareika
wareika

Postby Dubac » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:32 pm

Thanks everyone. "UK TV-themed Reggae Gets Rave Reviews" shock :!:

OK, you've sold it to me - the trouble is now everyone else will have snapped 'em up by the time I get around to my next order :cry:

Which reminds me - has anyone else noticed how slow things are at Ernie's these days ? I normally put together an order every month of his new releases, re-issues and re-stocked items, and have trouble narrowing it all down to fit the budget. But for the first time since I started, there ain't enough I want this month to be worth the postage. I'm sure there's some quality there like the Trojan/Upsetter 12inches, but we've seen them all before.

I knowit's been Christmas and all that, but I'm sure the place filled out again by mid-Jan in the last couple of years. Let's hope they're all stockpiling ready for February release.
Dubac

Postby DOOR PEEPER » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:06 pm

If you're in Yorkshire Dubac why don't you get the Dub Vendor and Greensleeves mail order lists - there plenty on the latest ones to temp.
Why order all the way from the USA?
DOOR PEEPER

Postby Dubac » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:40 pm

Seeing as you ask, Peeps... :wink:

Dub Vendor (Clapham Junction), I used to visit a few times a year when in London on business. They were always very helpful and friendly, gave me a discount without me haggling, stuck me on their mailing list and even gave me a few freebies once. Sadly I now have to pay my own £147 or whatever it is to go down to the smoke by rail, and they stopped mailing me their lists very soon after they started sending them.

Greensleeeves I've had no direct dealings with, but didn't they wipe 7" and 12" singles from their catalogue many years ago? And record store owners tell me they're lovely people too, but not the most organised you're likely to find (eg order in February, chase up in April, maybe they'll find what you wanted in a bin in August).

With Ernie's I order at 11pm (GMT) on Monday evening and the parcel arrives by lunchtime on Wednesday; not bad for an Atlantic crossing. The 30% post/tax is a bit of a bind after paying a flat $19 for so long, but with 7" singles at $2.99 compared with £3.50/£3.99 in the UK, it's still worthwhile. Similarly with LPs ($9.99 vs £10.99).

..and the part of Yorkshire I've moved to is Sheffield; a nice city in many respects but not one to go shopping for music. A couple of people have asked me where to go here, but I just tell them to spend their first ten quid or so on a ticket to Leeds or Manchester and spend the rest of their cash there.

Dubac
Dubac

Postby DOOR PEEPER » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:22 am

Hi Dubac.
I subscribe to the Dub Vendor list and tend to buy mainly vinyl from them, and get the Greensleeves list free (as long as you buy something every few months or you get dropped) and buy CDs - as you quite rightly say they don't sell vinyl anymore.
Both shops are very friendly and helpful to me - admittedly I've known and delt with both since the 1970's so you could say I'm a well established customer!
I've had no problems with slow delivery except when I've asked for weird/unlisted stuff which sometimes they get and sometimes not.
Still, whatever works for you...........
Cheers.
DOOR PEEPER

Postby Bob M » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:54 am

Dubac,

If you are in the UK then go to the Sterns website and order it off there - you'll get it in a couple days. I think Sterns must distribute all Makasound product in the UK. It is an excellent album by the way and well worth hunting down!

Bob
Bob M

Return to General discussion