Speaking of Sizzla

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Speaking of Sizzla

Postby MickH » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:27 pm

Hard to believe that it is 10 years since Sizzla Showed the potential to be a true global roots star...The ok Burnin was followed by the truly exquisite "praise Ye jah" and " Black Woman and Child "sets for Fatis and Bobby Digital...

In your opinion which set was the best?

My money goes on the Xterminator set....
MickH
MickH

Postby BMC » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:43 pm

Black Woman & Child for me.

Recently there was a topic about Sizzla on DHR, where someone claimed that Sly & Robbie said that Sizzla was DJ of the year and that he was such a talent etc etc. Responses from others in that thread went from givng Sizzla super-stardome to filing him in the same league as Bob Marley and Peter Tosh, to people who don't understand these words, since he hasn't produced much worthwhile music for a few years now. The group of devoted Sizzla fans is still huge. His CD's are high on the list of best selling albums at Ernie B whenever he releases one. Some here once said that they can't understand why Sizzla can make lousy tune after lousy tune. The answer is easy though, many don't think they're lousy and buy it simply because it's Kalonji too. He won another bunch of 'fans' and lots of respect from a big part of the dancehall crowd since he recently recorded a tune called Nah Apologize, dealing with, let's say, his dissapproval of a certain lifestyle. Sizzla is huge still, though for me he only shows every now and then that he CAN be superb if he wants to.

This is said topic on DHR:
http://www.dancehallreggae.com/vbbs/showthread.php?t=50404
Last edited by BMC on Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMC

Re: Speaking of Sizzla

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:43 pm

MickH wrote:Hard to believe that it is 10 years since Sizzla Showed the potential to be a true global roots star... .

But then seemed to be derailled by too much bad vibes..
IMO..
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Lars » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:23 pm

BMC wrote:Black Woman & Child for me.

Recently there was a topic about Sizzla on DHR, where someone claimed that Sly & Robbie said that Sizzla was DJ of the year and that he was such a talent etc etc. Responses from others in that thread went from givng Sizzla super-stardome to filing him in the same league as Bob Marley and Peter Tosh, to people who don't understand these words, since he hasn't produced much worthwhile music for a few years now. The group of devoted Sizzla fans is still huge. His CD's are high on the list of best selling albums at Ernie B whenever he releases one. Some here once said that they can't understand why Sizzla can make lousy tune after lousy tune. The answer is easy though, many don't think they're lousy and buy it simply because it's Kalonji too. He won another bunch of 'fans' and lots of respect from a big part of the dancehall crowd since he recently recorded a tune called Nah Apologize, dealing with, let's say, his dissapproval of a certain lifestyle. Sizzla is huge still, though for me he only shows every now and then that he CAN be superb if he wants to.

This is said topic on DHR:
http://www.dancehallreggae.com/vbbs/showthread.php?t=50404

Still, one could easily compile one good album a year.
The harshest critics are always the non single buying audience who have to wade through tons of mediocre material spread over his four to five albums a year - many compiled without any creative input or saying from Sizzla himself.
Lars

Postby BMC » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:35 pm

True Lars, very true. Sizzla shows most of his quality on 7's lately, what many seem to miss out on (for instance his recent Be Strong on Drop Leaf). I notice more and more that Sizzla on a roots riddim works very good most of the time, while Sizzla on a bashment riddim often doesn't.
BMC

Return to General discussion