SAME SOND DUB vs ISRAEL TAFARI

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

SAME SOND DUB vs ISRAEL TAFARI

Postby italdub » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Since they are issued in 1978 whe are all speaking about these lp and no one can realy tell the truth about them.I'm writing a book about JACOB MILLER & INNER CIRCLE and naturaly i'm telling the FATMAN RIDDIM SECTION's story.
But today it's so hard to have responses when i made interviews with INNER CIRCLE and TOMMY COWAN and i have only elusives responses or contradictory elements about the 'SAME SONG'/ 'SAME SONG DUB' / 'ISRAEL TAFARI' lp sesions recordings. I have some elements yet about who mixe the two dub versions and who really plays on each ISRAEL VIBRATION songs. I hope i wil have the truth infos in the futur but today my work is stoped for lack of infos.

Anyone can respond me today about this topic and know about these sesions done in PLUTO SHERVINGTON's studio in 1978 where the 2 dub lp were mixed,i'm think,by the same enginer ( PAUL DAVIDSON)?
The great ask is this one: finaly INNER CIRCLE realy played in the 'ISRAEL TAFARI' lp like them said to me in December in Miami? This question led to the INNER CIRCLE participation on the SAME SONG lp...
I think only ISRAEL VIBRATION can give us the truth about it...
CIAO
italdub

Postby informer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:20 pm

SAME SONG 1978

Vocals : Israel Vibration
Backing Vocals : Israel Vibration
Backing Band : The Roots Radics
Drums : Calvin McKenzie & Sly Dunbar & Max Edwards
Bass : Robbie Shakespeare & Fully Fullwood & Mikey Star
Organ : Ansel Collins & Bubbler & Michael Chung
Piano : Augustus Pablo & Robert Lynn & Michael Chung
Saxophone : Dean Fraser
Trombone : Nambo Robinson
Percussions : Sky Juice Blake & Sidney Wolf
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby italdub » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:59 pm

It's sure i saw the 'SAME SONG' jacket credits too,b ut in reggae music credits are very simplified. For that reason today i no trust in the SAME SONG jacket because INNER CIRCLE said them plays on it and are not credited (exception for CALVIN McKENZIE)...
italdub

Postby Inyaki » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:32 am

Pablo and Mikey Chung were ocassional Inner Circle players.
In the 70s most musicians played in every band at one point or another.
As I understand,Inner Circle is really the Lewis Brothers, everybody else changes (except Touter maybe).

Only the real producer or the musicians and engineers will know who played. The artists normally aren't there when instruments are recorded.
Inyaki

Postby italdub » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:52 pm

That's true INYAKI, but TOMMY COWAN stay evasive today when i ask to him who played on 'SAME SONG' lp and said to me only that thing: "some INNER CIRCLE players were on some tracks..."
italdub

Postby Well Charge » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:11 pm

A question : "Israel Tafari" is it the same album as "the Same Dub", same mixes? If not, which is the better LP?
Well Charge

Postby RB » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:18 pm

why are people so surprised/annoyed when musicians can't remember every detail or even remember at all, playing on every session?

it's all these guys did all day long every day for decades, play in studio sessions. it's more shocking that they do remember details! let alone what got released as what after the fact, something that the studio musicians often have not much to do with, and something that usually ends up involving many more people by the time something is released, and details get changed/mistaken/lost from person to person...

certainly this information is important and i think its good work that needs being done, trying to figure it out...so bravo to you.

but really, many times it is anyone's guess, i mean even the 'memories' of some are often the product of ego and other things, not a true recollection of events...
RB

Postby echodelic » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:01 pm

Well the cd that I have (on Lagoon) is "Same Song Dub" by Fatman Riddim Section. The liner notes say that this album was cut in 1980 for Tommy Cowan who had produced the original Same Song LP , and it was titled Israel Tafari when it was first released. I have to say, it's really a great album despite not being the original, the dubbing is very cool and unique. Vocals are a little rough in some spots though.
echodelic

Postby Chaz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:13 pm

I have that Lagoon CD as well and find the liner notes to be very confusing.

I've always taken this CD to be the "Israel Tafari" album - basically a more spacey mix of the original vocal album than the "Same Song Dub" release. I think that's what the liner notes are trying to convey - but badly!

After mentioning the Same Song album, it goes on to say:

"An album of instrumental versions was automatically issued, with a limited release for the local market.

At the beginning of 1980, the Lewis Brothers, who had become the session band for Tommy Cowan's Top Ranking label in the meantime, brought out this second version of "Same Song."
Chaz

Postby echodelic » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:26 pm

I don't think it's a different mix , I think it's a whole different recording. If you listen to the vocals, I don't think it's Israel Vibration singing.
echodelic

Postby Chaz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Sounds very plausable Echo.

I must get round to hearing the other Same Song Dub release.
Chaz

Postby jb welda » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:29 am

i would be very skeptical about anything on a lagoon/crocodisk/rhino/whatever liner notes too, and i also agree you cant really expect these people to remember every single detail about who played on what when they were doing it every day.

that said, the line up posted above for same song album is very confusing. "backing band roots radics" and yet not one player listed individually do i associate with radics. very weird.

i would look at the pressure sounds same song cd (if thats not where the confusing listing above came from) and pretty much figure those were the correct players though as echodelic (i think) says, sounds to me like same song dub and israel tafari are two different recordings, not just mixes, as weird as that might be. why would they do that anyhow? a slow day in the studio? you probably had to be there.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Re: SAME SOND DUB vs ISRAEL TAFARI

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Picked up same song dub by Fatman Riddim section on the Lagoon cd mentioned above. Anyone have any more information on this. It's a great dub album.
Reggie Love

Return to General discussion