Reggae joys with children

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Reggae joys with children

Postby bridgeman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:06 pm

I've had 2 great reggae moments during the past week...

(1) While working, my 2 year old daughter came into my office and wanted to hear a record. I assumed that she just wants to hear music, so I turn on something on the computer speakers. She proceeded to throw a fit until I played a 12" single. At that point, she handed me her plastic recorder (a child's instrument like a clarinet) and headed over to my bass guitar. While Don Carlos sang "Here I Come Again", I played her recorder and she strummed the guitar like an upright classical bass. After the song ended, we flipped the record and did it again.

(2) I took my 2 year old to her swimming class this morning. After we sang several of the usual school songs, there was a short break before the teacher introduced the next exercise. At this point, my little girl began to sing "sinking in the mist, sinking in the mist"... we'd been listening to the Mighty 3's cd on the drive over, and it looks like one of her old man's favorites has been firmly implanted in her developing mind. On the drive home, I had to restart the track several times so we could sing it together.
bridgeman

Postby Ras Berry » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:17 pm

Nice one! Or two even!!

Not reggae I know, but Sarah, one of my nieces, used to come into my room and demand that I played her the "Deus" 12" by Sugarcubes. I think it was the dayglo pink sleeve that she really liked, but she used to sit and listen to it all the same. I'll have to play it to her again some day (she's 20 now), see if she remembers it. On a similar note, my nephew, when only about 3 years old, used to love Beats International's "3 Foot Skank" - he used to bark along to the "woof" noise!

:lol:
Ras Berry

Postby Ras Berry » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:18 pm

So s l l l l l l o o o o o o o o o o o ow w w w w w w w w w w w w w tonight...........................
Ras Berry

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:01 pm

Last Thursday I used Congo's "Fisherman" to accompany a RE lesson about Jesus and the Disciples (long time boarders will recall me using the same trick last school year). That lunchtime, I heard a boy from singing "row, fiherman, row" out on the playground.

BTW, I used the dub version as I didn't care to explain to a bunch of 8-9 year olds why you would need collie herb, let alone 10 crocus bags full.
Aaron

Postby giab » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:03 pm

"I didn't care to explain to a bunch of 8-9 year olds why you would need collie herb, let alone 10 crocus bags full."
8-9 years olds would probably already know Aaron
:)
giab

Postby Professor Mushtaq » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:09 pm

Take the kids to visit infinitewheel.com - they love it
Lawless Street - The finest in Reggae, Ska & Dub. 2RRR 88.5fm Thursday 4 - 6pm
Professor Mushtaq

Postby bridgeman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:40 am

I'd forgotten about infinitewheel - I'll give that a shot next time my little one is in the office!
bridgeman

Postby Semi-Decent » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:28 am

Bridgeman - Hope I'm not being too forward ---- but I have just emailed you and your daughter the lyrics to "Fire Pon Rome" by Anthony B. Let's see if she likes it...

2 year olds take swimming lessons? They couldn't even get me to look at the bottom of a pool until I was about 15...
Semi-Decent

Postby Professor Mushtaq » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:48 am

When in England, I saw one kid push another into a swimming pool, and was laughing at the cheek of the younger sister who did it - everyone else flipped out and one dived in to rescue the child as she couldn't swim. It didn't even occur to me that a child of almost ten years old couldn't swim - we learn pretty early over here, it's one of my earlier memories and swimming is still one of my favourite things.
Professor Mushtaq

Postby bridgeman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:56 am

My little girl has been in swim lessons for nearly a year. Very early, they start with diving - my daughter calls them "ready go's" after what we say in preparation for the dive. it's more like dragging your child under water for a given length of time... she did 2 5-second dives today. Not much considering that 2 months ago (before vacations and colds) she was doing 7 seconds underwater. It's a disconcerting experience - holding your child underwater and trying not to speed up your count to pull her to the air.

My daughter would probably sing "fire pon rome", but my wife, a Catholic, may not appreciate it. I'm still harbor hopes of my little one djing in her early years like Jr Pumpkin.
bridgeman

Postby Professor Mushtaq » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:58 am

Bridgeman - anything you're particularly looking forward to with SXSW?
Professor Mushtaq

Postby Mark T » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:14 am

Nice one Bridgeman. It's great as our children start to discover some of the things we love isn't it?
Aaron - if I had RE classes like that I think I might have been more interested in a faith earlier in my life!
Mark T.
Mark T

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:19 am

"It's great as our children start to discover some of the things we love isn't it?"

I'm not so sure about that.
Anonymous

Postby Mark T » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:18 pm

You have a point there Zoki - I was perhaps thinking of some of the more wholesome things we love.
My two oldest 15 and 13 have been asking to drink alcohol a lot more lately when it's around - so we are trying to help them to learn to drink responsibly - trouble is no one ever taught me - (There doesn't seem to be a drunk type of emoticon to put here.)

"I've been dreaming of a time when to be English is not painful" - Just listening to Morrisey's new cd.
he does have some good lines. Now back to work.

Mark T.
Mark T

Postby Qoelet » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:24 pm

My daughter is nearly two and she regularly asks me to sing songs to her, including something she calls "man music". After a lot of head-scratching we realised she meant Jah Stitch and Trinity as we have had the CDs on in the car a lot recently. She seems to listen intently to their voices.
She also loves Mikey Dread's African Anthem and likes to shout "Riddim" in the appropriate places.
Omnia sunt communia
Qoelet

Next

Return to General discussion