help! reggae down the drain!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

help! reggae down the drain!

Postby Eriksson » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:29 pm

Hi, friends of reggae. A small dissaster has happened. approx 400 7" vinyl records has been ruined for me. They were stored in a metal record box in the boiler cupboard. during my 2 week holiday the boiler has started leaking but just dripping slowly which eventually has meant that water have come through the top of the box and all the 7" are was effectively swimming in the otherwise waterproff box. the result is a wet sludge made up of water and paper from the sleeves.

What is the best way to clean the records of without destroying them?????
Vodka, nailpolish remover, shampoo? what do you recomend???
Eriksson

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:34 pm

Take a bath with them.
Anonymous

Postby Varese » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:46 pm

When I first started travelling around I left some records in a mates "dry" cellar and roughly the same thing happened to me. Its really important you clean them before any of the homogenous matter that used to be sleeves etc dries into the grooves otherwise you end up with several hundred unplayable pieces of plastic, which is what some of mine turned into :cry:
The best thing I know is time-consuming, but... Use warm water with a teeny bit of washing-up liquid and slowly clean each one. Sometimes works... I guess taking a bath with 'em is just as good :lol:
Commiserations,
V
Varese

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:48 pm

Welcome to BAF World!! I hope you enjoy your stay.
Anonymous

Postby MickH » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:50 pm

If you use a toothbrush with a soft head and follow Varese.s advice that should do the job...Use a warm tea- towel to dry records..
MickH
MickH

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:19 pm

Disco antistat record cleaner

http://djservice.com/site/framesets/dum ... igung.html

http://shopping.search.ch/foto_hifi/lig ... 45296.html

Good luck !

Sounds like a drag but there should be hope for you to clean the vinyl well & resleeve with new white paper 45 sleeves..

Soiled vinyl has hope for recovery

Scratches & warps are vinyl 'failure modes' harder to recover from..
Chocolate Soldier

Return to General discussion