General Advice from the BNF Massive

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

General Advice from the BNF Massive

Postby Angel Gabriel » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:07 pm

Greetings,

As you can see by the number of my posts, I am pretty new to the forum. I, however, am not new to reggae. I started buying roots music back in San Diego, CA when I was 16-17 ( I am 41 now). As opposed to getting into reggae music through Bob Marley, the first album I ever bought was Wayne Wade's Fire Fire. After that album, my musical tastes have geared more to roots, sufferer's, and of course Studio One. I took a leave from reggae music for most of the 90's (due to the music and also a lack of funds). However, I recently have shipped all my reggae albums, singles, etc to Minnesota and I am going to start cataloging them. The advice that I would like from most of you is regarding the following.

1) How does one get into the trading on this forum? Who trades? What do I need to do to make myself available to traders?

2) Who are some of the more important roots, reality, sufferer's singers and groups over the last 10 years? I know that this is a tall order and if you would like please respond to me at my email. Any guidance would be appreciated.

To give some of you kind people an idea, before my leave of absence, I was collecting and enjoyed the sounds of Bob Andy, Ken Boothe, Alton Ellis, Barrington Levy, Leroy Smart, Hugh Mundell, Tenor Saw, Nitty Gritty, Anthony Red Rose, King Kong, Johnny Osbourne, Dennis Brown, Wayne Wade, Michael Prophet, Yabby You, anything on Studio One, etc.

Too many to list!

I hope this all helps..and thanks for all your help

best,

Gabriel

jah guide
Angel Gabriel

Postby Anonymous » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:35 pm

Hi Gabriel

re:trading

Have some nice out of print albums and ask nicely, I'd be glad to do a trade but you may have to wait a while as I'm taking a short break from trading soon as I've been doing a ton of it.

I trade rare Studio 1, Roots, Rock Steady, soul that's not commercially available.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:39 pm

Re: roots, reality - I can recommend The Travellers - Black Black Minds LP, produced by Prince Jammy, Lambert Douglas' "Living Man" LP, Pablo Moses - Revolutionary Dream LP, to start with three of my own favourites.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Re: General Advice from the BNF Massive

Postby BMC » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:03 am

Angel Gabriel wrote:
2) Who are some of the more important roots, reality, sufferer's singers and groups over the last 10 years?

Seeing you quoting mainly singers in the list of artists you like and no deejays at all, I pressume singers is what you're looking for. Of the last 10 years, and certainly last 5 years or so, the number one roots, reality, sufferer's singer is:
Luciano!

Other singers that might be worth it to check out for you: Bushman, Richie Spice, Morgan Heritage, Warrior King, Admiral Tibett, Cocoa Tea, Jah Cure, Yami Bolo etc etc

As for deejays, that would make a too long list and you really have to know what to get from 'm. Some favourites deejays of recent years of mine are Turbulence, Capleton, Sizzla, Anthony B, Junior Kelly, Jah Mason, Buju Banton and the woman Tanya Stephens.

There's many of great music released in the 90's and 2000's so far, but also plenty of crap. The thing is to find the beauties (of which there are quite a lot) between the nonsense. Good luck.

Here's three albums you might wanna check out to get an idea:

Sizzla - Da Real Thing (or Black Woman & Child, doesn't really matter)
Luciano - Where There Is Life
Warrior King - Virtuous Woman

As for the trading thing, it usually just happens in my experience. Either I got something you want or the other way around and a trade is arranged. If that happens a few times, you get some 'trading-partners' you trade with on a regular basis and with others it's just a one-time thing to help eachother out with what one wants.

Anyway, welcome to the B&F-gang! :lol:
BMC

Postby Angel Gabriel » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:53 am

Thanks for the responses. Since I am cataloging my collection, I will certainly make my list available to all so that you can see if I do have anything rare..since I have been away for a while..I have no idea if I do..Gordon, you will be the first to get my list.

In terms of roots singler and DJ's..I do enjoy DJ's and I am glad they were listed..I was just running out of room and I did not want to be annoying by listing every artist I love!..But thanks for the list of newer artists..I will be increasing my purchases of new artists..

thanks to both of you again!!

jah guide!

gabriel
Angel Gabriel

Postby ephteeay » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:23 am

without wanting to offend anyone / start another debate i just want to say MY opinion..
i dont think theres any new singer who can compare to most of the old..
it seems that new singers just sing and dont feel what theyre singing..
there are no 'sweet voices' any more like the ones you mentioned.. there must be.. but i guess theyre only used for the jamaican choir and not for reggae music..maybe you want to hear whats been going on recently in the reggae world... if so.. then i guess take bmc's advice.. from the 300 reggae people i know.. at least 270 of them like the artists mentioned (luciano, morgan heritage etc) so i guess take their advice and ignore mine.. they must be hearing something that i cant hear, or something i dont want to hear..

ive been listening to only old reggae for the past 10 years and sometimes feel i know quite a lot .. but i still know hardly anything.. theres tons out there yet to be discovered..and i see myself dedicating the rest of my life seeking the old stuff i havent heard.. (and im sure i still wont hear every good old tune til the day i die)
in case youre disappointed with the new sound that people call 'roots' music i guess theres a lot you can still discover.. (i dont know how much you know / what you have / what you had.. so i might be insulting to someone 15 years older than me who was 17 when there still was good music from jamaica being recorded.. so sorry if i am..)

things i like and id recommend:
its possible you have all of them or know them..

lacksley castell - morning glory LP, princess lady LP, jah love is sweeter 7"
(and almost anything by this artist)
tetrack - lets get started LP (augustus pablo production)
hugh mundell - time and place LP, arise LP
earth and stone - kool roots LP, (and quite a few KILLER 12"s and 7s to look out for...)
barrington levy: englishman LP, robin hood LP, poor man style LP, run come yah LP, open book LP
phase 1 label - check "children of jah" release by blood and fire, phase 1 compilation on motion

freddy mckay (lots of 7s and 12"s which have unfortunately disappeared.. no voice ive heard has ever been more convincing than his in the past 30 years..lps to look out for "lonely man" on dynamic, best of on GGs..

if you find 7s on addis ababa / new flower label... get all of them... e.g. rising son (everyone should have a home, jah jah robe) jimmy dean, earl zero etc....

if you find 7s on rootical dubber label get the 70s ones e.g horace martin, lawyer, trevor byfield, clive matthews, ewan naptali

other artists: if you check their 70s work til early 80s you shouldnt be disappointed: viceroys, norris reid, roman stewart, horace martin, prince lincoln (good LP called humanity..beautiful voice!!), rod taylor, phillip frazer, earl zero (check his LP on freedom sounds label "only jah can ease the pressure"),earl sixteen, barry brown, johnny osbourne (fally lover LP, never stop fighting LP, fally ranking LP, warrior LP has a few good tunes too)...plus certain 7s and 12s to look out for .. gladiators (back to roots LP is good if you havent heard it..) plus hundred of other artists who have unfortunately released too little.. a few singles here and there

late 70s freedom sounds productions, channel one (almost anything that says backing band "revolutionaries" on the back cover

anything on blood and fire, pressure sounds, motion, makasound
all reissue labels...these labels most the time release pretty unavailable quality stuff!
ephteeay

Postby 6655321 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:35 am

For some heart felt modern roots & reality music I would recommend Jah Cure; he has a unique voice, sings only over cultural rhythms, and sounds sincere; Warrior King (great album: "Virtuous Woman") and dj's like Sizzla and Capleton (although their output is so large in quantity that for every good tune you have a bad tune)
Chezedek; Bushman, Tony Rebel.. there's a lot of good roots music coming from Jamaica.

Postby ian » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:42 am

Welcome to BAF World!! I hope you enjoy your stay.

re: trading, if you list what you have/what you are looking for, then I'm sure you won't have any problems finding willing trading partners.

re: 90's roots, the 2 main producers/labels to look out for are Philip 'Fatis' Burrel's Xterminator label and Bobby Digital's Digital B label. There are 2 curently available compilations on Maximum Pressure label that are a good place to start...

V/A - Rough Inna Town (The Xterminator Sound)
V/A - Flag Flown High (The Best Of Bobby Digital's Roots Productions)

also the following 2 compilations feature the best of the 90's tunes by the respective artists

Luciano - The Best Of Luciano (Xterminator)
Sizzla - The Story Unfolds (VP Records)

For more recommendations, then my best advice is to follow the posts on this board that regularly list top 10's of all artists/labels/producers/riddims etc etc....

Cheers
Ian
ian

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:39 pm

Yes Gord, I agree with you, The Travellers and their "Black Black Mind" is a good start for newbeeis. Last week I posted a cdr with that album to Ephteeay.

Efty, as you're fan of Earth and Stone, have you listened to Earth&Stone feat. Phillip Frazier "Back to Africa"?
Anonymous

Postby Angel Gabriel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:10 am

6655/Ephteeay/ian/zoki/Bmc/Gordon

I greatly appreciate all your recommendations; I have written them all down and I hope to explore the modern roots sounds that I have missed over the last few years

ephteeay..thanks for your recommendations-and don't worry about offending anyone-It is nice to talk to people who have the same set of references that I do with regard to reggae.

I have the Lacksley Castell lp..I have the chantells lp on Phase One as well..I am pretty sure that the Tetrack lp was one of the 100 lps that I let go..so I will need to find that again..

As far as the 7" recommendations- is Philip Burrel related to Roland Burrell of Johnny Dollar fame? I think that lp went with the 100 lps I let go..

I will be looking to get back into singles..thanks all..greatly appreciated!!

jah guide

Gabriel
Angel Gabriel

Postby ephteeay » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:54 am

.. very surprisingly i havent heard that earth and stone LP "back to africa".. i heard it wasnt too good compared to their other work...im hoping its not good too cos earth and stone have given me a headache on ebay!! lots of wars over their stuff... fortunately ive got some nice things but after a lot of bidding / patience!
sweet africa 12", give me 12"/satta 12"......
love them.
ephteeay

Postby Ade » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:58 am

Personally speaking, I'm more into 'old school' than modern roots and started buying music at about the same time as Angel Gabriel (being about the same age). But, not being only into reggae, there are a few gaping holes in my collection - and that goes for all the genres of music I listen to. But such is life! I totally respect where you are coming from ephteeay......but when does the new become the old? I hope that, for your sake, 10 years down the line you don't start to discover music from the 80's, 90's and 00's , which although readily available now, may not be so then...so that you are continually playing catch-up and at the mercy of eBay!. But, as you put it - if you are in the 30 out of 300 then that's that. But it's hard to believe that good roots music simply stopped being made on a certain date :)
Ade

Postby ephteeay » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:24 am

I totally respect where you are coming from ephteeay......but when does the new become the old?

erm.. never id say.. sleng teng is where new reggae starts for me (and i was 5 (?) when that came out.)

about the ebay thing in 10 yrs.. i hope that never happens!! (i hope i never like what i dont like now!) the only thing i might see myself buying in the future is new uk dub which i like very much but dont buy cos:

1. i kind of have a limited amount of money and am still after tons of 70s roots which i spend all my money on.. maybe i should spend $10 on new dub for every $100 i spend on music made from before i was born. it might save me money in the future if i ever start buying newer music..

2. i own none ... actually i have one manasseh LP which i got free..
when you have so little of something its hard (for me anyway) to start buying .. stupid huh? i mean. its hard to start a new collection kind of thing.... even though im sure it would grow..

the bad thing though is i might never be a very successful selector with the music i have/play.. (my favourite 'hobby' which id make a career if i could...)

maybe i can play at parties in old peoples homes.. they might appreciate the music i play.. but it also might kill them a little earlier.
ephteeay

Postby BMC » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:29 am

Ade, I think ephteeay must have been joking a bit, what you can tell from the major contradictions he wrote down:

First:

"i dont think theres any new singer who can compare to most of the old..
it seems that new singers just sing and dont feel what theyre singing..
there are no 'sweet voices' any more...."

What ofcourse is not true, but then it comes:

"things i like and id recommend:

lacksley castell - morning glory LP, princess lady LP, jah love is sweeter 7"
(and almost anything by this artist) "

One of the most overrated singers in the history of reggae. And if he's a sweet voice, guys like Luciano, Bushman, Tibett etc are at least sweeter than sweet. See? :P :wink: 8) :lol: :twisted:

(all just MY opinion ofcourse without wanting to offend anyone / start another debate :wink: :lol: )
BMC

Return to General discussion