your most prized record

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

your most prized record

Postby prajna » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:41 am

ok, i have unashamedly nicked this idea from a soul forum, but thought it was a cool question.

what is the one record, not three or five or ten, but one, that you would not part with, no matter what?

mine would be abdullah ibrahim (dollar brand) - mannenberg (is where it's happening)/ the pilgram.

this south african jazz record, from 1976, is well known in sa. however, when i heard it in about 1988, aged 17 years, i (embarrasingly) didn't know anything of its history. i was just struck by the power and majesty of the music. after i heard this record, i couldn't listen to pop music anymore, and so began a life-long addiction to all the wonderful music out there.

prajna
prajna

Postby Jack Johnson » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:49 am

Without a doubt "hurting Inside" by the wailers on Tuff Gong (1st cut).... And it's mashed!!

And if i had the orig. it might well be "Little Things" - Elmsley Morris
Jack Johnson

Postby tim p » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:09 am

It makes no sense to name just one as there are dozens but I'll do it anyway(!).

Larry Marshall - No One Can Give Me Love/Phill Pratt - Safe Travel on UK Caltone. The Larry Marshall is a good tune, miserable though! The Phil Pratt on the flip is the absolute killer. Produced by Phill Pratt himself while working very closely with Caltone in 1967 this is Rocksteady as good as it gets.

Phil Pratt (I'll fix this audio link tonite - now working) http://www.klix.freeserve.co.uk/safetravel.ram
Larry Marshall (should work fine) http://www.klix.freeserve.co.uk/noonetogivemelove.ram
Last edited by tim p on Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim p

Postby bedward » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:18 am

Top 3:
Amandla Cultural Group, 1982 Moscow recording
or
Orchestra Makassy - Agwaya
or
Studio One presents Burning Spear
dial africa ben, dial africa
bedward

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:02 am

As I already stated in wrong thread:

"Three Little Birds" by Bob Marley. I hate so much that tune so with that mellow chirping tune on my deserted island I won't miss music any more.
Anonymous

Postby prajna » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:23 am

saw.
prajna

Postby Bilko » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:39 am

Probably 'The Drifter' by Dennis Walks on Crab.
One tune I always come back to and one that always lifts a dance.
in every category my subject is version
Bilko

Postby Lionofjudah » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:31 pm

Bilko. Have you heard the Reggae George recut of Drifter? Great tune.
Lionofjudah

Postby Dubac » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:38 pm

The JA Heart of the Congos LP on Black Art.

I know the B&F CD release is clearer and comes with dubs an' all that, but it's the old scratchy vinyl version that brings back the good times. As a kid, I even delayed ordering it until the Summer holidays so I'd be at home when it arrived. (I think I was worried that old Postie might try and fold it in half to fit it through the mailbox!)

Dubac
Dubac

Postby ephteeay » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:47 pm

strange cos i was thinking of asking this yesterday...after having read the wants lists.. but something like "what do you have which used to be number one on your wants list"

its extremely hard to decide though...a bit unfair but i'll give LP/12"/7"

LP (2 lp): earth and stone - kool roots / cha cha

12": heptones - party time / come on into my world (for this one!!) / love

7": damn this is hard... i'll just say royal rasses - kingston 11 on god sent label ..but i can easily think of another 10 7s i like as much (even more maybe.. but its hard to compare and grade music especially if its from different producer/engineer/studio etc...

a top 100 tunes you own will be better... but that would be too little for others who have thousands!!
ephteeay

Postby nickbug » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:15 pm

Might possibly be different on another day but first one that comes to mind, nothing to do with reggae, is the very first Big Boys album sometimes called Industry Standard sometimes called Where's My Towel.
I have a more or less mint copy an it's signed by Randy Turner the singer.

If the question had been what band or artist would you have most liked to have seen it would have been the Big Boys as well. This was a band way way ahead of their time with a great attitude. Early Texas punk mixed with funk and all sorts of other things thrown in.
nickbug

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:36 pm

Bob Andy's Songbook LP signed by the man himself!

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby DrSuperlove » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:03 pm

Carlton Jackson - History

oh yeah, rasta civilize ya!
DrSuperlove

Postby jb welda » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:54 pm

rolling stones aftermath signed by all five after a show at memorial auditorium in sacramento

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:55 pm

i should add: i wish i had ian stewart sign it too but had no idea then who he was.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Next

Return to General discussion