dave godin's deep soul treasures

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby James » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:52 pm

Pranja have you got the Willie Hightower and Bettye Swann Honest John's releases? Deep Southern Soul at its finest. These are my favourite re-issues from last year (although I only picked them up recently) and have hardly left my stereo...
James

Postby prajna » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:48 pm

No James. I havn't seen the Hightower set. I did see the Swanne set; but didn't get a chance to listen to it. I then saw 1 or 2 online reviews which were less than glowing and I never thought to look at the album again. :oops: I'll certainly check it out next time I have the chance.
prajna

Postby Fargo » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:06 pm

I don't know, I thought the Swann set was a bit over-orchestrated but obviously a country mile ahead of most things around. Joss Stone's triggered a bunch of reissues from the 70s Miami scene worth chasing up.
Fargo

Postby James » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:35 am

All the reviews I read of the Swann said it was excellent.
I found it a real grower - takes 3 or 4 listens and then I realised nearly every song is a delight and some are almost too perfect to be true. Just listen to the exquisitely sad 'Time To Say Good Bye' she sounds like an angel... :D
James

Postby Fargo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:35 pm

I do agree James that one's a gem but on the whole not in the same league as the Candi Staton reissue or the Hightower.
Fargo

Previous

Return to General discussion