tennors - weather report

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

tennors - weather report

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:27 am

so i've managed to listen to this song about 30 times today and i'm loving it to pieces. heard it before of course but just finally "got it", you could say.

but, errr, what's the chorus saying?

"donna lee donna lee donna lee donna lee
here i am"

??????

most of the lyrics seem nonsensical, great stuff.
Anonymous

Postby charlie.reggae » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:17 am

A great tune, but I've always wondered what the chorus was about too.

I also think they sound like The Ethiopians on this particular track - don't you ?

Charlie Reggae
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Postby Lars » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:33 am

Well, here is your answer, since it is a re-working of a Simon and Garfunkel tune (The Only Living Boy In New York, from the album Bridge Over Troubled Water, see lyrics below). I don´t have the Tennors tune (One of my favorites too from that era) at hand so I can´t compare the lyrics more thoroughly, but from memory only the setting of the tune is changed:

Tom, get your plane right on time.
I know your part’ll go fine.
Fly down to mexico.
Da-n-da-da-n-da-n-da-da and here I am,
The only living boy in new york.
I get the news I need on the weather report.
I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.
Hey, I’ve got nothing to do today but smile.
Da-n-da-da-n-da-da-n-da-da here I am
The only living boy in new york

Half of the time we’re gone but we don’t know where,
And we don’t know here.

Tom, get your plane right on time.
I know you’ve been eager to fly now.
Hey let your honesty shine, shine, shine
Da-n-da-da-n-da-da-n-da-da
Like it shines on me
The only living boy in new york,
The only living boy in new york.
Lars

Postby Lars » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:41 am

And of course changing the lyrics from "The only living boy in New York" to"The only little Girl in my home town" which makes up for a significant difference regarding the theme of the song...
Lars

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:05 pm

good on ya, guys. and big thanks for the lyrical connection, lars. i've really enjoyed that line "i have nothing to do today but smile." so true (we'll except for 40 other things, but hey)

ronnie davis' voice is so sweet.

didn't really think about the ethiopians, charlie. but i can hear it a bit now that you mention it. ya know, another tune that has been reminding me lately a lot of the ethiopians is "taking over orange street" by glen adams on one of those bunny lee/j'can gold comps.
Anonymous

Postby Lars » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:04 pm

hot milk wrote:good on ya, guys. and big thanks for the lyrical connection, lars. i've really enjoyed that line "i have nothing to do today but smile." so true (we'll except for 40 other things, but hey)

ronnie davis' voice is so sweet.

didn't really think about the ethiopians, charlie. but i can hear it a bit now that you mention it. ya know, another tune that has been reminding me lately a lot of the ethiopians is "taking over orange street" by glen adams on one of those bunny lee/j'can gold comps.

Its actually more than a lyrical connection, Weather Report is actually a cover of the mentioned tune, with the lyrics slightly altered.
Lars

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:37 am

sorry lars, didn't mean to be confusing there. that they did a cover is what i meant by "lyrical connection". i love this board, so many answers to all the questions.
Anonymous

Return to General discussion