Joe Higgs, There's a Reward - Where ????

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Joe Higgs, There's a Reward - Where ????

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:47 pm

Anyone who remembers Joe Higgs sitting with his back to the weather boards playing his acoustic and singing There's a Reward For me will know what a heavy tune that is, But where can I get it on Record or Cd, I've asked this before on the old board so old baffers forgive me, thought there might be some new blood who may know..
I just got a nice cdr from a fellow Baffer of some Higgs I don't have, and what a voice, such an underestimated talent. Everytime i go searching for More Joe Higgs all i can find are the Ska Tunes , the normal stuff and Higgs and Wilson material, then there are a few tunes like Waves Of War, Spinning Around, Burining Fire, and then it all goes quite. Where can i find more, more more more more more more and a big lump of concrete..
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:48 pm

quite ? phoenetic typing at it's best... doh - quiet you fool...
Anonymous

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:51 pm

is it on life of contradiction?

if not maybe that "family album" that was released (i think) on shanachie?

it wont be the same version as in the film though. i know i got it somewhere.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi J.B. It's not on the Life Of Contradiction Lp and I don't think it's on the Family Lp unless it was an awful version of it. I have heard that Lp at Charlie Reggae's one visit and he had an extra copy he said I could have for nothing, and I refused. At least I think it was that Lp, sort of colourful type on the title for the cover etc... it was that bad i thought and any version of that song on there wouldn't be worth having (in my opinion). My video with it on has a glitch right on that song, and I'd record it from there if it wasn't so messed up.
Thanks for throwing the idea around though ..
Anonymous

Postby charlie.reggae » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:59 pm

No - It's not on 'Life of contradiction' & I don't think it's available anywhere.

Yes BMD - It was the accursed 'Family' LP.

Charlie Reggae
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:10 pm

contrary to public opinion:

1. Family
2. African Can
3. You Didn't Know
4. There's A Reward
5. Day O
6. Upside Down
7. Hurry Home
8. Mother Radio
9. Free Africa

note track 4

i thought this album had a couple good tracks myself.

let me know if you would like a cdr from the film bmd, wjust@dgweb.com for me to get your address.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby clsnacky » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:13 pm

my copy of "life of contradiction" has "there's a reward" on it. Great tune, bought the album just for it. Amazon has a copy right now for $2.20.
clsnacky

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:15 pm

i kind of thought my life of contradiction (real time) had theres a reward too but im not home to check it out.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:17 pm

i should add that my copy of life of contradiction is on CD on that esoldung or crockoshite or something boot label and there is no telling how close it is to the actual LP. there are some singles tacked on that are actually better than the album itself imo, but i dont remember if theres a reward is better or worse than the version on family, if its on my cd at all.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:22 pm

one more post:

seems its out on a label called macola (thats the one at amazon) and its indeed included in the track list:

1. More Slavery
2. More Slavery [Dub Version]
3. Life of Contradiction
4. Come on Home
5. Got to Make a Way
6. Hard Times Don't Bother Me
7. There's a Reward
8. Wake up and Live
9. Who Brought Down the Curtains
10. Song My Enemy Sings
11. She Was the One
12. My Baby Still Loves Me
13. Ram Bam Bam
14. Ram Bam Bam [Dub Version]
15. Sincerely
16. Sincerely [Dub Version]

quickly comparing it to the issue on lagoon (one of the fine esoldung/crocoshite family of labels) shows the track listing to be identical so i would say this is the one to get (despite the boot business) as you can see has some nice bonus tracks.

hope that helps

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby giab » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:26 pm

what film are you guys refering too ?
giab

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:32 pm

roots rock reggae from the "beats of the heart" series that shanachie released on video long ago (and still available i think).

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:12 pm

Thanks for the offer J.B, I think I'll go insearch of that 'Macola'? release first and see what that version is like. Sounds to me like Life of Contradiction with a few extras on it. I havn't listened to the Family Lp for a couple of years, so you never know, tastes change... Charlie !!??? Still got a copy .. !

Thanks for the help peeps...
Anonymous

Postby giab » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:14 pm

cheers JB
giab

Postby nick » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:20 pm

did anyone mention the early versions.. 1960s
nick

Next

Return to General discussion