Rita Marley to exhume Bob Marley's Body in JA

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:59 pm

Ego trip or doing the right thing?

Why now and not decades ago?
Chocolate Soldier

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:16 pm

That Rita completely lost it! Not to long ago she claimed Marley raped her, then there came the by her written biography and now this?? To me it looks like she needs this to keep on going herself. In my opinion this, if it goes through, is an insult to Jamaica and its people and maybe even to Bob Marley himself too. Let the man rest in peace I'd say.
BMC

Postby rez » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:13 pm

...leave the dead to bury the dead...

Bob certainly had the means within his lifetime to physically relocate to Ethiopia if he so desired but he did not do so.

Given thats the case what sense does it make to move him now? What about "liberation before repatriation"?
rez

Postby dots69 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:21 pm

personally i think anything is better than that god forsaken mausoleum, the accompanying hagglers, and the tacky postcards from well wishers that surround it , not very dignified but then i guess as a tourist attraction its to be expected.

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby Mr B » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:25 pm

Reading between the lines here... it was only a little while ago that the "Bob Marley Foundation" was lobbying to have him made a national hero in JA. I think their plan was for this to happen on what would have been his birthday 6th of Feb.

Maybe their lobbying hasn't worked and now she's using this current idea as a form of leverage to get a response or as retribution if they have refused?

Doesn't seem to rational. I'm sure Marley would have left instructions if he was particularly wanted to be buried there himself.
Mr B

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:27 am

last i was in nine mile, 1990, i thought it was very nice and peaceful there and the mausolem a good and decent thing, esp for jamaica. i hear there are hotels there now and stuff, but it wasnt like that in 1990, no one around but the villagers and they were well cool and nice...also surprised when i picked out a HIM pin out of the ones they were selling. i guess they expected this white boy to get a "i love reggae" or something but no way. got a personal tour all around the area by one youth and he didnt even beg any money (i laid a 20US$ on him for his efforts). i always look back on that time with fond memories because those people were so welcoming and friendly, not hustlers at all.

toshs mausolem was another matter altogether, pretty pathetic that one was, dont know about today.

ive got a bunch of photos of both somewhere that i would scan and post but dont have a scanner and dont need a website.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby PapaStalawatt » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:53 pm

jb welda wrote:toshs mausolem was another matter altogether, pretty pathetic that one was, dont know about today.

It was still in poor condition when I visited a couple of years ago, and the locals seemed bemused that someone had managed to find it. Unassuming and welcoming people, though, and Belmont's a beautiful place even if the memorial is something of an understatement.

There's a campaign to renovate the mausoleum, build a museum alongside, and fund a local clinic: http://www.ptosh.com/.

Respect,

Papa S
PapaStalawatt

Postby informer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:55 pm

as i wrote in a similar thread:

This is what i call marketing .......
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby benja » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:34 pm

it seems with the shaky state of affairs in Shashamane, it is a bit odd to bury him there. There are still a lot of in fighting and division in that community...
http://www.algoriddim.org
benja

Hype and corpses

Postby fvk » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:51 pm

I think in celebration of the reburial, Rita'll tastefully launch a new Marley sneaker and tracksuit line and a series of microwavable 'ital' lunch snacks. Oh, and a hyper-deluxe reissue of 'Legend'.
fvk

Postby Dr Sleeper » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:20 pm

Update: (from Roger Steffens via Doug Wendt) Apparently Rita was "quoted out of context" in regards to the whole thing. Me thinks Marley's dunza has made her real gone crazy.
They have used guns to spoil the fun and force tasteless music upon the land. (Prince Buster)
Dr Sleeper

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:20 pm

Sure its not di sensi Dr Sleeper?

RIta Marley - One Draw

[G. Cooper/ R. Walters.]

I wanna get high, so high
I wanna get high, so high
One draw, one draw
One draw, one draw

Hey rastaman, hey what you say
Give mi some of yu sense
Hey iyah man, hey whatta say
Give mi some of yu sense

So long I have been
Searching for a taste
Looking all over the place
Not a thing could I find
To satisfy my mind
So I came to search for the I
To see what the I could do
And just like I said
You send it straight to my head

I'm feeling high, so high
Yes I'm high, so high
One draw, one draw
One draw, one draw
Hey rastaman, hey what you say
Give yu sister some sense

Give mi some riddim mek mi dance
A long long time mi no feel so nice
Now I'm really feeling good
And I am in a dancing mood
Won't you come and rock with me
A feeling so irie
And just like you said
it's gone straight to my head

And now I'm high
Yes I'm high, high, high, so high
One draw, one draw
One draw, one draw.
Chocolate Soldier

Postby dots69 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:09 pm

JB : fast forward to 96 and the hustlers are congregating outside the entrance. Once inside we're 'offered' the opportunity to purchase a beer ! The guide in fairness was excellent, though i could have done without his lame, though no doubt heartfelt, rendition of 'One Love' at the end of the tour, me and the ex being his only audience ! Likewise i pushed a few dollars his way without his asking. Outside though our irate taximan fumed, when he realised the youths who had kept him in conversation while he waited on us, had in fact stole his hubcabs !

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Re: Hype and corpses

Postby so nice » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:22 pm

fvk wrote:Oh, and a hyper-deluxe reissue of 'Legend'.

yeah i can see it now:

XTREME LEGEND

:shock: :arrow: :? :arrow: :(

--
so nice

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:52 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 172495.stm

Rita spokesperson sez meaning of words 'twisted'
Chocolate Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion