Rita Marley to exhume Bob Marley's Body in JA

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Rita Marley to exhume Bob Marley's Body in JA

Postby vasceri » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:13 pm

<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=2&u=/ap/20050112/ap_en_mu/ethiopia_bob_marley>

I can't believe this is considered, does anyone want to buy officially licensed 9 Mile Burial Dirt?

One love
eric v
vasceri

Postby Jackie Pablo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:26 pm

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... bob_marley

Whenever there is a death the general wishes seem to be 'Rest In Peace'. Can't help but think there is another motive behind this.
Jackie Pablo

Postby mghifi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:32 pm

mghifi

Postby Moses » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:39 pm

Yet another blow to the Jamaican people, their economy and losing their greatest son.

If Marley wanted to be buried in Ethiopia surely he would have indicated this during his period of illness?
Moses

Postby donknotts » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:55 pm

This is really sad. What about his old acquaintances that still live in Nine Mile, St. Ann? I've been to the compound and the temple where Bob's remains are located is peaceful and beautiful. It is an absolutely wonderful place. I can't help but feel cynical about this - I wonder what is in it for Rita? Does she want to move to Ethiopia? Does she have some sort of a convenient relationship w/ the Ethiopian government?

While I admire the intention and I imagine it would do some good for Ethiopia, I'm sure Bob considered it. As far as I know, Bob never even visited Ethiopia even when he was on the continent for concerts in Zimbabwe, etc. Bob was through and through Jamaican and that's where he should remain.

At Nine Mile, I was surprised to see that his body was even in a vault. It seemed to me that he should be buried in the earth where he can decompose and physically become one with this earth. Perhaps this has been planned for some time but it just doesn't seem right to me.
donknotts

Postby mghifi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:03 pm

It's nobodys business but his family. If that is where they remove his remains to, then so be it.

Besides, there are at least 5000 songs that have originated from that island about repatriation. It's about time somebody is actually acting upon it. :D
mghifi

Postby so nice » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:08 pm

wouldn't the repatriation be more meaningful if the repatriat was alive though?

which brings me to another question i had -- does this mean rita will be moving to africa too?

i'm not jamaican and don't presume to speak for anyone but this strikes me as an incredible insult and more heartless and soul-less gimmickry from that garbage pile "rita marley".

--
so nice

Postby mghifi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:20 pm

"garbage pile"?
not "so nice" are you?
mghifi

Postby so nice » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:29 pm

i love to think my selection gets nice but if it comes to it well "sting me ah sting"

--
so nice

Postby Moses » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:43 pm

so nice wrote:wouldn't the repatriation be more meaningful if the repatriat was alive though?

which brings me to another question i had -- does this mean rita will be moving to africa too?

--

I think she spends her time between the US and Ghana, if I recall.

Marley surely would have indicated where he wanted to be buried?
Moses

Postby Semi-Decent » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:45 pm

"Rastaman Dig Up" (7" Tuff Gong)
Semi-Decent

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:31 pm

rita officially lives in ghana now. of course she has homes in ja and miami, and wherever else she wants a home, i guess. but i too think this is promotion related. let the man rest. true matt, when it comes down to it,it is his family's choice and decision, but i think it's bunk. and i'm allowed to think that, eh? :)
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:32 pm

Bob Marley helped to define Jamaica and Jamaica defined Bob Marley, if you remove his body that relationship remains but you take his resting place out of context, which seems an awkward and very strange thing to do. One might argue that it's an African returning to his homeland, but surely as has been mentioned, if he wished this then perhaps he would have mentioned it in his last months.?
Anonymous

Postby Jackie Pablo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:37 pm

Maybe Chris Blackwell can through some light on these matters?
Jackie Pablo

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:50 pm

I'll ask him when he pops in later..
Anonymous

Next

Return to General discussion