Best Live Reggae Recording?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:05 pm

there was only one disk of ras michael wasnt there?

but thanks for the nomination...

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:03 pm

My vote for #1 has to be BWM 'Live' ..
Thats a contender for all time best live album in any genre IMO.
Its got great sound, captures the excitement, killer performance,
great mix balance between the band & audience noise..

And theres:

Aswad Live and Direct
The Spear Live in London album mentioned before..
Chocolate Soldier

Postby Kas » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:41 pm

This is looking like a poll in the making isn't it? :)

Anyway, my choices would be these:
BMW Live At Lyceum (I really think they should release this as a deluxe double cd extended set before any other BMW album...)
Burning Spear Live in London
Misty In Roots Live At The Counter Eurovision.

And THE greatest album out of those would be the Misty album.
When I was a kid just catching the reggae bug Misty were a semi-mythical band with a live album that you couldn't find easily. Remember, this was in Finland where the band has never performed...
Kas

Postby yellowdog » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:14 pm

I have a feeling I'm in the minority here but I never really thought the MIR Counter Eurovision album was all that great. Mind you, I'm not a big fan of live recordings in the first place, but my first (and lasting) impression of the Counter Eurovision set is that it rides the same relentless (monotonous) rhythm for far too long.
yellowdog

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:08 pm

"the same relentless (monotonous) rhythm for far too long."

That's what reggae is all about.
Anonymous

Postby crazydownbeat » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:11 pm

Zoki's got a point you know
(I never thought I'd say that phrase :shock: )
C.D
Proverbs 10:10 :wink:
crazydownbeat

Postby yellowdog » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:18 pm

Best we not talk about Zoki's point.

Yeah, I knew that monotonous remark would draw attention, but still, even by reggae standards, it's a little overdone, me thinks.
yellowdog

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:34 pm

I know what you're talking about Yellowdog, my first impression re MIR Counter Eurovision was exactly same as yours but after 20th listenings I changed my mind.
Anonymous

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:34 pm

Never heard that live album myself, but saw Misty In Roots twice: a year of 5 ago and last august. Neither show impressed me at all. Monotonous is indeed a word that came to mind during the shows.
BMC

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:42 pm

misty over sweden is on all counts superior to counter eurovision. very similar material, recorded only a month or so from when cev was, so its just as repetitious for those who are counting.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby cap » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:59 pm

Has anyone else heard the Augustus Pablo album "Live in Tokyo" ?

Just wondering how others feel about that one. I downloaded it recently (minus one song :x ) gave it a spin but wasn't that impressed.
I should probably give it another listen though, you can't help but be curious about a live album from someone as enigmatic as Pablo.
cap

Postby jb welda » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:21 am

ive got that live in tokyo cd...hadnt listened to it in a long time until recently took it out and listened. not bad, nothing to write home about though, but not bad.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby giab » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:26 am

saw Misty at Glastonbury in 86 or 87, & they were fantastic
giab

Postby Dubac » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:40 am

Following last year's TV appearance (Glastonbury presumably?), Toots & The Maytals seem to be flavour of the day inna my (UK non-reggae) neighbourhood.

So I've now been pleasing the students by playing stuff off their Live album - the one that was produced and issued within 24 hours - Hammersmith Odeon 1982(ish) I think?

Monkey Man!!!
Dubac

Postby Ital Dokta » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:37 am

I have a feeling I'm in the minority here but I never really thought the MIR Counter Eurovision album was all that great. Mind you, I'm not a big fan of live recordings in the first place, but my first (and lasting) impression of the Counter Eurovision set is that it rides the same relentless (monotonous) rhythm for far too long

I think what is being referred to here is the trademark Misty sound...I'm by no means familiar with too much of their music but they always struck me as having a quite distinct, moody, meditative, almost jazz-tinged vibe which is very recognizable. That "monotonous" rhythm is just them settling into their groove, imo...

That said, I'm also no big fan of live recordings in general, but I will vote for one nobody's mentioned yet: Freddie McGregor - Live at Town & Country with the Studio One Band (1987, I have it on some sort of Japanese import). Wicked vibes and Freddie is in top form.

Ital
Ital Dokta

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion