Ocean Hackney - Closed Down!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Ocean Hackney - Closed Down!

Postby ian » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:35 pm

Just read that the Ocean in Hackney has gone into administration and is now closed down.

More info at http://www.ocean.org.uk

This is really bad news, it was the largest independently run, not-for-profit gig venue in London, but it looks like it is no more.... Seen many great artists there in the last couple of years...Luciano, Abyssinians, Johnny Clarke etc etc etc..

But now its just the commercial places like the Islington 'Carling' Academy, where tonight I'm going to see The Skatalites :D , that are left.. :cry:
ian

Postby CC » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:46 pm

Oh Dear .. DC and I have enjoyed some great Lovers Rock concerts there :cry:
CC&DC Sound System
www.cc-dc.tk
CC

Postby rutabowa » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:55 pm

"Not for profit"? The tickets were pretty expensive in that case... where did all the money go? I thought it was a privately-owned venue kept afloat by the council.
rutabowa

Postby ian » Wed Dec 01, 2004 6:01 pm

You might be right, but I seem to remember them saying that when it opened, as it received funding from various community bodies and ran lots of free training courses etc...

Still sad news whatever as this part of town is without a gig venue again... :cry:
ian

Postby rutabowa » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:33 am

The Palace Pavilion and the Stratford Rex have reggae gigs still... listen to this:–

"Since 2000 Ocean has received more than 1.2 million in council cash.
Nearly £14million of the Arts Council's lottery money was used to build the venue, and last year it contributed another £85,000."

But it was a privately-owned venue, definitely without subsidised ticket prices! Something wierd going on... or else just totally incompetent...
rutabowa

Postby tim p » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:39 am

My guess is that they would have struggled to attract the big name promoters on a regular basis because despite the fact it was a very nice venue the transpot links are terrible. Plus of course it was in the middle of Hackney which may have scared the more sensitive off.

It always seemed strange to have a big venue miles from the nearest tube station.

A real pity all the same though as Hackney deserved the break, it was a nice venue and there were some great concerts there...
I saw The Abbysinians, Johnny Clarke, Sizzla, Sanchez, Horace Andy, Junior Murvin etc etc and it was always good...

Tim
tim p

Return to General discussion