Advices on Rocksteady era

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Engine 54

Postby Ringo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:36 am

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Ethiopians - the Trojan comp has got most of the essentials.

Engine 54 is THE rock steady template for me.

MSE
Ringo

Postby nickbug » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:15 pm

Loads of great stuff listed here so I won't add to the list. If you want to listen to a pile of stuff before buying I recommend logging onto live365.com. I haven't got a very fast connection but can quite easily listen to Ska Train Radio and Ska Jerk Radio stations. They do both play a fair bit of newer ska stuff but they play loads of ska/rocksteady stuff. I've been turned on to piles of lovely stuff from listening to these.

If you have a fast connection then there are plenty of stations to try covering almost every type of music you can think of............although surprisingly there seems to be a lack of good soul stuff unless I just haven't found them yet.
nickbug

Postby RV3000 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:23 pm

Thanks for all these advices!!
Nevertheless, please could you let me know what is still available/repress today?
On the other hand i would like to let you know (specially for people outside uk) that i 've found an online shop where i can pick up 7" for 2.20€!! only bad points : it takes 3 to 4 weeks to receive package!

http://www.akeonweb.goracer.de/blessedlove/catalog/

Therefore, if you have a look on this website, please let me know if you find interesting rocksteady 7" that i can buy!!!

cheers,
RV3000

Postby tim p » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:35 pm

I had a look at the Treasure Isle label selection on that site, any of these should fit the bill quite nicely.

ALTON ELLIS GIRL I'VE GOT A DATE
MELODIANS COME ON LITTLE GIRL / EXPO 67
PHYLLIS DILLON DON'T STAY AWAY / PICTURE ON THE WALL
PHYLLIS DILLON ROCK STEADY
TECHNIQUES QUEEN MAJESTY
TECHNIQUES / DENNIS ALCAPONE YOU DON'T CARE / THE GREAT MOVE
tim p

Postby RV3000 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:50 pm

Thanks Tim! I will definitively add that to my next order!
RV3000

Previous

Return to General discussion