turntABLE help / recommendations

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

turntABLE help / recommendations

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:04 am

at some point im gonna replace my 30 GBP aiwa turntable with something better.. and eventually own two tts and a mixer.. just so that i can play at home... the main thing i want at the moment is a tt thats good... (for dj use eventually) but at the moment i want it so that my ja records dont skip... on the mk2 out of 100 random 7s 1 skips (and doesnt skip on mine!!! very strange) on my tt about 15 skip (even when i put weight on the needle)) which annoys me cos i cant rip & listen in the car.. and i cant send to other people on cdr!

could you please recommend something for me.. and i want to know how much better mk2s are compared to stantons that look like mk2 but are 1/3 the price.. (or how bad the stantons are etc)

http://topdjgear.com/stanton-str8-100.html

thanks for your time
ephteeay

Postby charlie.reggae » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:12 am

It's a bit pricey, but I used £350 of some money I inherited a few years ago on a Rega Planar 3 (aka the 'P3') - the best deck for under £500 at the time, and the one I used to master up the recordings for the compilations I used to release on Trybute / Reggae Retro..

However, it is an 'audiophile's turntable' & NOT a DJ deck, and I don't think it would not appreciate being hoiked around ! Plus to alter playing speeds you need to move the drive belt to differing positions, not particularly practicle if your mixing !

If you're interested, the details are at 'www.rega.co.uk'.

Charlie Reggae
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Postby charlie.reggae » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:13 am

... oh & I forgot to say, the Rega only jumps if there's a problem with the record, and doesn't jump of it's own accord, unlike some decks.

Charlie
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Postby DG » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:01 am

I have this baby and I am very happy with it
http://www.usblaster.com/index.php/9,hid--126,sid--10,sg2id--,artId--35
(price was around 200 Euros)
DG

Postby gregory » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:08 pm

E,
there might be a problem with loose bearings of those skipping turntables (especially the one used for dj'ing). putting to much weight on the needle, btw, is also a very bad idea.
more info about adjusting TT etc @ audioasylum.
you could find an old DUAL TT very cheap, some of them are audiophile quality - search google for best DUAL model numbers. but you can't use them for dj'ing of course. i bought one for 5 € some months ago, in perfect new condition.
gregory

Postby mat » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:43 pm

i use this one
http://home.versateladsl.be/mark.ameryckx/XTRM1.htm

this is the official homepage
http://www.synq-audio.com

http://www.djservice.com sell it for 350€ with system and needle.
I´m very satisfied with it, has a backward play mode.

the mixer from synq is also very nice btw, has built-in effects like echo, flanger etc.
mat

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:58 pm

keep em coming.. thanks for the info those of you who have posted..
ephteeay

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:53 pm

http://www.project-audio.com/en/debphsb.html

I've been using one of these for a while now and can't fault it for simply playing records.

you can't dj with it though.
Anonymous

Postby NannyMaroon » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:57 pm

If you can afford, why not get the wheels of steel, tecniques 1200's they are proven to last for long time. Not sure about in europe but in the states you find them for a reasonable amount. And again, they are an investment that will last.
NannyMaroon

Postby Ash » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:52 pm

if your lookin to dj eventually, then i'd say the Technics mentioned above would be worth checkin out...
'Blessed is the Man who walketh not in the counsel of the Ungodly'
Ash

Postby Dr Sleeper » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:55 pm

My only advice is to avoid Numark turntables. Worst $279 I ever spent. Next time I'm going to shell out and get the king - a Technics 1200.
They have used guns to spoil the fun and force tasteless music upon the land. (Prince Buster)
Dr Sleeper

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:13 pm

so that numark has turned out to be a pile of sh*t? kind of figured it would...didnt look too impressive to me.

my advice: techniques 1200 or Dual.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:22 pm

ive been using technics 1200s for the past 5 years where i play at... but unfortunately never owned a good TT...id love 1200s.. but they cost about 900 euros each new.. and possibly without the cartridge ? ... so... i don't see me getting any soon! i just want to know how bad the cheaper 'versions' of mk2 are (cos thats what i'll be getting unless theyre very bad)... made by companies other than technics

also.. when i say djing.. all i play is old reggae.. mostly 70s... few early 80s... so dont think i do anything amazing or try anything amazing.. (i play same riddims but need to change the pitch to do that most the time... i want a tt that kind of starts spinning as soon as you leave it... maybe with a little help.. not one that needs 3 seconds from the time you leave it to start going at the right speed if you get what i mean... (im not gonna be scratching or anything like that!). and i dont want it to skip either like mine does on almost everyhing jamaican (and sometimes european/US!!)
thx
ephteeay

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:26 pm

are you sure your turntable is level epth? if not that could be causing your problems.

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Postby JV » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:36 pm

If you're a DIY man here's an interesting alternative.
http://www.altmann.haan.de/tonearm/default.htm
JV

Return to General discussion