Joe Gibbs - Rocky & the master tapes

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Joe Gibbs - Rocky & the master tapes

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:35 am

I always wondered why any newer Joe Gibbs repressings were always released under the auspices of Rocky Gibbs ..eg: Rocktone records etc..

I ponder the possibility that with that old legal case against Joe Gibbs maybe he had to 'sell' the catalogue to Rocky for $1 or whatever so he could put the tunes back on the market via a 3rd party (Rocky) and thus bypass any claims pending against Joe Gibbs enterprises from that previous cover song lawsuit..
Chocolate Soldier

Postby giab » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:40 am

i thought the Rocky label was owned by his son ?
giab

Postby jb welda » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:46 am

such a subtrifuge never works in usa courts though and i think thats where the case was presented. courts here have consistently held that any such sham "sale" for under fair market value is actually not a sale at all as it applies to sheltering the defendant from a judgement or collection of an amount owed as the result of a legal judgement. so i dont think that is the case, though possibly it does shelter the income from the catalogue if not the catalogue itself.

what made charlie pride famous, made a grocery clerk outta me
-"new" joe gibbs lyrics (no relation to the song with lyrics "what made milwaukee famous made a loser out of me" that rod stewart covered one time i believe.)

one love
jah bill
jb welda

Return to General discussion