Dennis Brown - Live At Montreux

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Dennis Brown - Live At Montreux

Postby BMC » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:05 pm

Just been watching the DVD of Live At Montreux, after owning the CD of it for years already. What a lovely show with Lloyd Parkes & We The People band and horn section including Dean Frazer. And nice to see once again what a HUGE talent Dennis Brown was! One of the best reggae artists ever imo. I'm so glad I got the chance to see him live too, not too long before he passed away.

Big up Dennis Brown always. Gotta go play my General 12" on DEB now! :D

BMC

Postby giab » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:26 am

I've been eyeing up that dvd for a while now BMC
if you can confirm that he doesn't dress up like the Pope, I'll order it
:)
giab

Postby Tomcat » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:53 am

yes thatis one wicked show. I love the sound that chinna smith gets out of his guitar on drifter etc, good drum and bass sections here and an awesome performance all round.

always wondered though, on the CD the tune yabby u must surely be a guest appearance from dillinger, cos it sounds nothing like dennis whatsoever.

how much was this dvd and where did you get it from?

safe,

tom
Tomcat

Postby ephteeay » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:41 am

great artist... there is SO much good stuff by him.. another very consistent singer

words of wisdom
wolf and leopards
josephs coat of many colours
visions - got a few weeks ago.. and surprisingly i hadnt heard it all before i got it..... so it was a nice surprise!!

ephteeay

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:47 am

giab wrote:I've been eyeing up that dvd for a while now BMC
if you can confirm that he doesn't dress up like the Pope, I'll order it
:)

What? Are you saying Capleton's lovely outfit ruins the show for ya??? You know he's the prophet! He's King Shango, the fyah man, he is allowed to wear an outfit like that! :lol: Regardless of the outfit, that show is massive imo. Image

Dennis Brown wears a pretty cool outfit, a yellow, what we call (translated from dutch) 'gardening pants'.

Tomcat,

On this DVD there are two tunes missing that are on the CD: Yabby You and Whip Them Jah. Yabby You might indeed be as you say, because it's clearly not Dennis Brown singing on that track (personally I don't think it's Dillinger either though). Why they left out Whip Them Jah (one of my favourite Dennis Brown tunes) is beyond me! Besides that a very enjoyable DVD nonetheless.
I bought it at a local store for just 6 euro and it wasn't even 2nd hand! Not bad I'd say! :D
BMC

Postby informer » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:52 am

"whip them jah" is shown on another DVD showing a young dennis
playing live in jamaica. can't recall the title of the film, but it features
many artists and must be from ca 75-77. not "Rockers" .....
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:53 am

ephteeay wrote:visions - got a few weeks ago.. and surprisingly i hadnt heard it all before i got it..... so it was a nice surprise!!

Lucky you! That album, LP I mean, is pretty high on my wants list. I have mp3's of the album, so I know what I'll be getting when I finally find it (for a good price or repress).

Besides the once you name, I really like Super Reggae And Soul Hits and Spellbound too.

Informer,

Yes, I have the video of that. It's on a documentary called Heartland Reggae or something like that and is also known as The One Love Peace Concert. He wears a superb green outfit for that show!
BMC

Postby giab » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:02 am

"Are you saying Capleton's lovely outfit ruins the show for ya??? "
no mate, it was the best part !
I was rolling on the floor laughing at him & Moses I for about 20 minutes, funniest thing I've seen in ages (might have had something to do with 1/2 ounce I'd just picked up & was sampling tho)
:D
giab

Postby informer » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:07 am

hi BMC, yes could be that film. peace concert was 1978, wasn't it ?
but the dennis concert footage must be earlier. great performer and
also one of my favorite tracks.
'the one who cleans the s.h.i.t must remember it' (Lee Perry)
informer

Postby BMC » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:20 am

Hi Informer. Don't really know, could be 78 yes. As far as I know the shows on that documentary were all recorded around the date of the One Love Peace main show, where ofcourse Marley was headlining. I could be wrong though. This video contains performances, next to spoken info, from (on many different stages) Marley, Peter Tosh, Jacob Miller (solo & with Inner Circle), U-Roy, Dennis Brown etc.
It was initially called Heartland Reggae I believe and was repackaged as a Bob Marley video for obvious sales-reasons, so then they called it Bob Marley - The One Love Peace Concert.
BMC

Postby Dadi Digi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:45 am

A truely brilliant show. Pure class vocal, he dont miss a beat. The band are great and there all there, you even got Ruddy Thomas in there on percussion. WICKED start to finish. Period.

Not sure about Dennis yellow dungareens though !!

Check out the 3 white rasta's in the crowd. One of them with a doctors white coat on !, they are a state man !
"If you ride like lightning, you'll crash like thunder" (M.Buchanan)
Dadi Digi

Postby asher selector » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:54 am

big big big big big reggae night ...................... that night I really fall in love with reggae muzik ........................ and if I'am correct & remember good peter tosh was in the same night pure crazynessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss love it !!!!

I was listen to reggae muzik from 75' but that night with dennis brown I really fall in love with reggae muzik ................ Ises ..........

dennis brown was a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggg vibesssssssss ............... and I remember peter tosh sharing the splifff with the crowd ............................. BLESSED ..............
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby Tomcat » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:12 pm

check out bafcd021 disc 2 track 12, Jesus Dread - Trinity meets Dillinger, sounds remarkably like the guy on the Yabby U track on the DEB concert.

T
Tomcat

Postby giab » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:15 pm

ah, gardening trouser = dungaree's
giab

Postby BMC » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:17 am

So it seems. :D 8)
BMC

Return to General discussion