Junior Soul...In This World

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Junior Soul...In This World

Postby englishpound » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:02 pm

Greetings B&F massive,

Im really feelin this roots tune lately...it's on a 2M Ltd. 12" from 1977, backed by the Revolutionaries...Any other top tunes to look out for from this artist?
Sat Sri Akal
englishpound

Postby dots69 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:46 pm

probably an obvious pick but a killa nonetheless :

Super Love / JUNIOR SOUL/ PK Records 10" (PK3) flipside to Lloyd Charmers 'Darker than Blue' track

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:59 am

And wasn't Junior Soul aka Junior Murvin.
Here a a very few, the Hustler is a killer.-

Glendevon Special - from chariots vault 16 rocksteady hits volume 1 Cd Album jmc 200.214

Hustler (the) - from chariots vault 16 reggae hits volume 2 Cd Album jmc 200.215

Jennifer - trojan rare groove box set disc one 1968-1970 Cd Triple trbcd 011z
Anonymous

Postby charlie.reggae » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:14 am

I'm with BMD on this one - Junior Soul is Junior Murvin & 'The Hustler' is truly a superb track '... They call me the hustler, I hustle night & day ...' (Derrick Harriott production, 1969).

BMD / Mike Turner: The rhythm is also used for:

Brothers Bongo Les & Herman Davies' 'Home sweet home' (1970) & The Crystalites' 'Cool it' (c1970) - This track being on that Keith & Tex LP 'Stop that train' LP (Crystal JA) mentioned the other day.

Sir Charles of Reggae
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Postby ian » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:50 pm

Is the Junior Soul who released tunes on the US label 2M LTD the same Junior Soul who is Junior Murvin?

I ask this as I haven't heard the 2M tunes to compare voices and on RKR all the other Junior Soul tunes are listed as Junior Murvin apart from the ones on 2M LTD

The others on 2m LTD 12" are produced by Janet & Junior and are listed as...

By The River
Choking Kind
Christmas Party
In This World
Love's That Shocking
Penny For Your Song
Three Times A Lady (w/ The Tamlins)
Wise Rasta Man
Shelter In The Time Of Storm (w/ Trinity)
Tribute To Bob Marley (w/ Tamlins & Trinity)
ian

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi Ian,

Interestingly the Junior Soul tunes that I've heard don't remind me of Murvin whatsoever, none of that falsetto styling etc. I can't recall where I picked up this nugget, it may have been Mr. C. Reggae or perhaps it was in one of those Jamaican Gold cds.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:04 pm

There's a Junior Soul album on Trojan, "Junior Soul Classic" TRLS 251, produced by Willie Lindo, late 70s at a guess, that features do-overs of soul tunes and it sounds nothing like Junior Murvin to my ears.

Respect

Gordon
Anonymous

Postby dots69 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:26 pm

so can someone please clarify, are Junior Soul and Junior Murvin one and the same ? Would'nt have thought so meself (?)

respect
Dots
dots69

Postby dots69 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:47 pm

from the horses mouth so to speak (care of reggae-vibes.com) :

Junior soon moved to Kingston where the growing recording industry was based: "I left Montego Bay now, I went to Kingston to live with me aunty in Trenchtown. There I get to know Delroy Wilson, Stranger Cole, the whole a the Wailers, Ken Boothe, he was from Denham Town. I get to know Alton Ellis, he always like how I sing, an tell me say 'youth you're goping to make it y'know', an Ken Boothe always say 'youth you have to come harder y'know, cause me know you have it'. A guy name Jackson Jones taught me to play guitar, used to carry me up and down, everywhere I used to go and sing they used to say 'soul soul soul' so they just call me Junior Soul. Monty Morris usually help me to sing in time y'know, taught me harmony, also Derrick Harriott taught me harmony".

http://www.reggae-vibes.com/concert/jun ... niormu.htm

respect
Dots
dots69

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:40 pm

cheers for confirming that Dots.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:42 pm

I'll ask him when he pops around tonight..
Anonymous

Return to General discussion