MSE's solemn vow from the old board

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

MSE's solemn vow from the old board

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:09 pm

Omphalocity
Author: Mister Swing Easy (144.87.143.---)
Date: 11-21-02 11:19

I have set myself the challenge of weaving 'omphalos' into my everyday discourse, although it is a little close to 'phallus' for the uninitiated.
Anonymous

Postby John Eden » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:26 pm

I remember that thread :) didn't it involve Abney Park cemetery?
John Eden

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:15 pm

OBSERVER IN THE DISTRICT 10
Author: The man (213.78.86.---)
Date: 11-20-02 23:26

OBSERVER IN THE DISTRICT 10

1 Poison On Beeston Street ~ Buster's All Stars (blank)
Produced by Prince Buster

2 Luke Lane Shuffle ~ Rico Rodriquez (Blue Beat)

3 Sercy Tea ~ Monarchs (Blue Beat)

4 We'll Meet ~ Roy & Millie (Island)
Produced by Robinson

5 Stay Where You Are ~ Gloria And The Dreamlets (Island)
Produced by Duke Reid

6 The Horse ~ Eric Barnet (Gas)
Produced by Theo Beckford

7 High Tide ~ The Virtues (Doctor Bird)
Produced by Rupie Edwards

8 Lighter Shade Of Blue ~ Richrd Ace And The Sound Dimension (Studio One)
Produced by CS Dodd

9 Choice Of Music ~ Jackie Mittoo And The Brentford Disco Set (Studio One)
Produced by CS Dodd

10 Tell Out ~ Tesfa McDonald (Bongoman)
Produced by CS Dodd

Compiled by OBSERVER STATION

Penny Reel at the decks with Word, Sound & Power @ District, 19 Amhurst Rd, Hackney, E8 on Sunday, November 17, 2002
Big raspect to all the selectors on the night

Reply To This Message
OBSERVER IN THE DISTRICT
Date: 11-21-02 09:53

PR, I make periodic visits to your district - usually embracing Foulden Road, Northwold Road, the bagel shop on Stoke Newington High Road and, on the relevant days, Belfast Road. I even glanced by Amhurst Road on Sunday. Of you, I have seen nothing at any of these locations. Am I missing the clues as to your whereabouts ?

Reply To This Message
CONSCIOUS OBSERVER IN THE AREA
Author: John Eden (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: 11-21-02 10:24

The psychogeography of the Stoke Newington omphalos is confusing:

You have an electron, spinning around the outer shell of an atom. You want to find out where that electron is, and how fast it’s moving. To do so, you have to whack something into it, like another subatomic particle, because it’s too small to be seen with light. This is something like whacking Earth into Mars to find out the position and speed of Mars. So of course the electron is changed by this rather crude observation of it, which means that one of the two things you wanted to know is changed by your observation, so you really only know one. This the most mundane example of The Observer’s involvement with the observed.

But, according to some theories, The Observer is still more deeply involved in this quantum event, the determination of the location of a particle. Before the electron gets whacked with the other particle, it is said to be in a state of “superposition,” existing partially in all possible locations. It is at the moment of observation by a conscious mind that the electron “chooses” one of the possible locations to materialize in, collapsing it’s wave-packet and becoming a particle for the split second it takes to be hit by the other particle.

Reply To This Message
N19, E8 and TN30
Date: 11-21-02 10:34

Always a better class of debate when you are involved, JE. However, having scored 16% (part 1) and 17% (part 2) in my physics mock o' level - my papers came back with the comment 'This is ridiculous' written on them - I have played no further part in the sciences. As a result of this set-back, I put more academic eggs into the geopgraphy basket, and I can read a map most adequately if this is of any use.

I challenge you to prove, BTW, that 'omphalos' is not a totally bogus word.

Reply To This Message
Re: N19, E8 and TN30
Author: John Eden (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: 11-21-02 10:55

I will gladly accept your challenge and compliments, Mr Easy :-)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=omphalos
om·pha·los

n. pl. om·pha·li (-l)
1) The navel.
2) A central part; a focal point.

though of course all words are "made up" at some point.

Speaking as a non-physicist, I think that all physicists should have a keen sense of the ridiculous, so I am not quite sure what your teacher was on about.

Map reading is a must, but obviously "the map is not the territory" when dealing with The Observer.

Reply To This Message
Omphalocity
Date: 11-21-02 11:19

I have set myself the challenge of weaving 'omphalos' into my everyday discourse, although it is a little close to 'phallus' for the uninitiated.

Reply To This Message
Re: Omphalocity
Author: Arvid Broddefalk (193.15.201.---)
Date: 11-21-02 13:10

As we all learned in kindergarten, you can't both know the position and momentum of a particle.

Reply To This Message
The Big Mo
Date: 11-21-02 13:36

Kindergarten is very much a continental phenomenon, Arvid. We had to make do with play group (bit of a middle class concept) and then primary school - particles of whatever persuasion bit not much feature on the curriculum of either.

Reply To This Message
SELECTION FROM A NEXT DIMENSION
Author: David Judah (---.citenet.net)
Date: 11-21-02 13:50

You had to be in London or Kingston in the late 60's / early 70's to find these!!!
Or maybe Greg Lawson ;-)

Reply To This Message
Re: SELECTION FROM A NEXT DIMENSION
Author: The man (213.78.70.---)
Date: 11-21-02 16:59

Toby. On the contrary, I have seen you stalking these places you mention on a regular basis. Whenever, I see you coming I make sure I'm off in the opposite direction, but fast. Funnily enough, last time I was in Kent I saw nothing of you either.

Observer

Reply To This Message
Date: 11-21-02 17:15

Very drole, PR.

Reply To This Message
Author: James (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: 11-21-02 17:30

The observer lives in his panopticon. He watches you all the time. But you can never see him !

Reply To This Message
Date: 11-21-02 17:52

Don't you start with your extensive Footlights College, Oxbridge vocabulary young James. Found anything interesting in the Bodleian recently ?

Reply To This Message
Author: lex (194.205.123.---)
Date: 11-21-02 18:02

Stuff Bentham

Reply To This Message
Interaction in the heavy liquid bubble chamber
Author: zoki (213.137.110.---)
Date: 11-21-02 19:27

If we take that M S Easy was an incident antiproton which enters the chamber of Mr Penny Reel seeking for information, then MS Easy annihilates a resident proton givin rise to a +ve and -ve pion, and two gamma rays each of which converts into an electron positron pair, which implies that the mass of a particle must not be conceived as some stable material but as a concentrated pattern of energy, locked up in what appears to us as matter.
In the bubble chambers "elementary" particles colide and annihilate each other or create new particles which give rise to a new chain of events.
The particles in question are of course infinitesimally small and many have a lifetime much shorter than a millionth of a second; yet they leave tracks in the bubble chamber comparable to the visible trails which invisible jetplanes leave in the sky.
The fundamental lesson which the bubble chamber and other sophisticated instruments teach the baffers is that on the subatomic level our concepts of space, time, matter and convential logic no longer apply.
That means, according to the quantum theory, that Mr Penny Reel, even if he wanted to, culdn't answer on MS Easy question.

Reply To This Message
Re: Interaction in the heavy liquid bubble chamber
Author: lex (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: 11-21-02 19:39

I agree Zoki, and can only wonder why no-one else mentioned this before.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:19 pm

Don't know why but Im pretty sure that MSE still used 'phallus' more often than 'omphalos'.
Anonymous

Postby Ekki » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:48 pm

It seems you doing good with your new roommate at Ringo's, Zoki :lol:
Ekki

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:55 pm

Just trying to persuade him to record some music for me whilst Ringo is away...
Anonymous

Postby Ekki » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:00 am

You have a very subtile way of persuading :lol:
Ekki

Postby Anonymous » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:50 am

I came to conclusion that it's only effective on this board...
Anonymous

Postby ephteeay » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:53 am

he could just send the records.. i bet ringo wouldnt notice if a few went missing.....
ephteeay

Postby Grumpy » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:02 am

This is what I loved about the old board: reggae leavened with particle physics, lexical excursions and the micro-topography of north east London.
Grumpy

Return to General discussion