Is Bob Marley Overrated?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

is Bob Marley overrated?

yes
27%
no
73%

Total votes : 51

Postby Anonymous » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:27 pm

"Bob Marley wasn't just another reggae singer, he was a world leader. "

He wasn't able to lead his own band properly (not to mention that he married one of his backing singer).

Gordon, six days without sandwiches as a punishment for you.
Anonymous

Postby PapaStalawatt » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:01 am

Overrated? Only in the sense that he overshadows all other reggae music in the popular consciousness. Nuff people who don't know better think the Island records are typical of reggae, both then and now - though that's usually a good excuse to burn 'em a CD or two...

Remember that Bob's ongoing crossover success has brought an awful lot of people to a wider appreciation of reggae. Respect is due for that alone.

And even if I don't listen to my Wailers records very often, I'm still blown away when I do.

Bless,

Papa S
PapaStalawatt

Postby Chocolate Soldier » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:38 am

Pluto wrote:
ephteeay wrote: As for his significance as a "third world figure", it could be said that there are places in the world where people might have never heard of Elvis, Beatles or the Stones, but they certainly know Bob Marley.

I had first hand experience with that myself - off in the middle of nowhere lodging at a bedouin camp in the Sinai, the teenage son of the headman didn't know any Western music artists but he knew of Bob Marley..
Chocolate Soldier

Postby charlie.reggae » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:52 am

I really like the pre-1972 stuff from Dodd, Perry, Kong ('Soul shakedown party' is a favourite of mine) & their own productions, but I resent the fact that most people who don't know the music, as soon as you say you're into Reggae, they either ask you whether you've 'got any Bob Marley mate ?' or they sing you a line of the only Marley track they know (usually something off the 'Legend' album.

My usual response is to point out the fact that there are plenty of other good songs / singers / songwriters in Reggae, to name but a few (just a couple off the top of me head):

'Purifty your heart' - Johnny Osbourne
'Soul fire' - Lee Perry
'False neiah' - Barry & The Attractions
'Declaration of rights' - Johnny Clarke

Charlie Reggae
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:40 am

I suspect I am typical of people who have come at roots reggae backwards (ie after the event) and therefore knew Marley first of all by his later recordings. With the benefit of the education provided in no small measure by members of this board, I have had a chance to address this historical imbalance. One of my favourite Wailers songs now is a Leslie Kong production, "Caution". This poll addresses a question that possibly could be divided into two parts. In all likelihood the Island stuff got the widespread global recognition it undoubtedly deserved (and I can vouch for the enduring popularity of Marley in the African countries I have visited) whereas the work for Dodd, Kong and maybe even Perry is generally underrated (perhaps little known if I was typical) except by keen reggae afficionadoes. And am I right in thinking that pre-Island it was very much The Wailers whereas with Island it became Bob Marley AND the Wailers?
Grumpy

Postby django » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:39 pm

And am I right in thinking that pre-Island it was very much The Wailers whereas with Island it became Bob Marley AND the Wailers?

No, that`s often said, but there were releases long before Island credited to Bob Marley and the Wailers (Tuff Gong: Thank You Lord etc.). There were also many record on Studio 1 released as Peter Touch and the Wailers.

All the best
Andy
django

Postby Grumpy » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:50 pm

Thanks for putting me right on that, Andy.
Grumpy

Postby ulua-bob » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:31 pm

I think BMC is right on. ALmost everyone I know who "likes" Bob only really listen to Legend, when they want "fun, mellow, good times" music. They love how it sounds and they do not know of nor think about his role as anything more than a musician. I would say a large part of his audience never delve any deeper into Bob than simply being another pop icon (the type that media love to stereotype). However, out of that majority of Bob listeners who don't dive into his meaning/legacy there are a minority who discover the world of reggae and Bob's true role as a champion of the third world ( I know that sounds cliched, but it is pretty undeniable) through listening to discs like Legend. Bob is how I discovered reggae, and my respect and admiration for the man continually grows.
Who feels it, knows it!
ulua-bob

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:01 pm

you can't really knock him,he was consistent over what...five or six albums?...he created what i think is probably one of the greatest reggae albums/statements ever in 'Exodus'... though i cant understand why he never made any dub versions of his albums,esp 'Exodus',even for the JA market...such a shame, it woulda been a wicked double album...Island records get your **** together and do this album justice,Dub it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'Blessed is the Man who walketh not in the counsel of the Ungodly'
Ash

Postby DrSuperlove » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:13 pm

you might as well dub jimmy cliff and desmond dekker! he got so popular because of the concessions in sound he and his producers made to western pop and rock aesthetics and that commercializing effort renders his island work unfit for dj versions, dubs, what have you

they would be as successful as Garvey's Ghost
DrSuperlove

Postby Pluto » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:25 pm

To add something: I've always considered Marley as one of the most consistent songwriters (throughout his career). He's got some brilliant moments and some not on the same level, but I can't pick up any song of his and say "I don't like this" (save for some latter-day remixes). It's a bit like old blues/folk singers if you get my point (i.e. Leadbelly, Woody Guthrie) - they have some absolute highlights, but every song they deliver is of a high standard.
Pluto

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:32 pm

I strongly dissagree Dr Superlove, the 'Exodus' album would dub up very nicely indeed.....imo.
'Blessed is the Man who walketh not in the counsel of the Ungodly'
Ash

Postby Dr Sleeper » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:44 pm

DrSuperlove wrote:you might as well dub jimmy cliff and desmond dekker! he got so popular because of the concessions in sound he and his producers made to western pop and rock aesthetics and that commercializing effort renders his island work unfit for dj versions, dubs, what have you

While many serious reggae fans will see that "commercializing" of Marley's sound as a negative thing, the fact is that it made reggae a lot more listenable to people used to rock & roll - the pill was much easier to swallow, if you will. I say hooray for Chris Blackwell for doing this, because without that "western" effort, reggae wouldn't have reached the four corners of the world.

BTW, the Wailers dub album on Tabou is very nice. While recording the Rastaman Vibration album the band cut instrumental versions of many of Bob's songs and then these were dubbed. While they're not THE versions, they are very close and very good.
They have used guns to spoil the fun and force tasteless music upon the land. (Prince Buster)
Dr Sleeper

Postby MickH » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:04 pm

Bob who??
MickH
MickH

Postby Anonymous » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:10 pm

Bob Andy
Anonymous

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion