Bitty McLean - On Bond Street

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Bitty McLean - On Bond Street

Postby bootleg » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:37 pm

Since some weeks in my personal "heavy rotation" .... absolutly BIG album !!

in my state of knowledge No. 1 ina UK

so what is your opinion ??

bootleg
bootleg

Re: Bitty McLean - On Bond Street

Postby NannyMaroon » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:10 am

bootleg wrote:Since some weeks in my personal "heavy rotation" .... absolutly BIG album !!

in my state of knowledge No. 1 ina UK

so what is your opinion ??

bootleg

Very big, the riddims make it. That album by its riddims alone would make it.
I think Id actually prefer it to be instrumental. Crucial, crucial muscians pon them riddims. Though , personally I think they sound better with 3 piece harmony, ala, heptones, tecniques,ectc
NannyMaroon

On Bond St

Postby Anonymous » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:04 am

You should look for Run Rhythm Run (Rock Steady and Reggae Instrumentals From Treasure Isle) out on Heartbeat, Mr Maroon. Also, the CD version of On Bond Street has a couple of versions tacked on the end. What made the musicianship so good on the LP was the new bits of sax and organ etc that were weaved in and out using Dean Fraser and Bitty himself on the new solos.

But you are both right this is a fantastic release which has been played hard all over the London stations since before its release. Bitty is such a talented lad & as unassuming a person as you could wish to meet.

Very much a case of 'quality in, quality out'. It is curious that Mr Dodd kept going back to his classic rhythms throughout the decades - even as recently as the Glen Washington, Donna V & JD Smoothe sets - yet this is, to my knowledge, the first time it has been done on T Isle rhythms since the 70's. More to follow ??

MSE
Anonymous

Postby Arvid » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:18 am

I bought it because of all the praises from the people of this board. I can't say that I was particularly impressed, though. I much prefer the old Treasure Isle recordings to this one.
Arvid

Postby Liam » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:40 am

I agree with Arvid. I don't know what the fuss is all about.
Liam

Postby BMC » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:57 am

I'm with Arvid and Liam. Overrated if you ask me. Not so special at all, mainly because imo his vocals don't fit the riddims. They somehow sit on top of it, it's not a total package. Also I think his voice is way to clean, maybe even neat, to fit the old Treasure Isle riddims. Not impressed.
BMC

Postby ephteeay » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:01 am

bmc: thats what i was worried about.. like most recent vocals over old riddims.. they sound wrong and you can tell theyre recent..
not that i have heard this set.. but i expeected it to not sound new/too clean from all the positive comments id heard..

from what i had read i thought you wouldnt be able to tell the year of release if you didnt know what it was... but i guess its just like other things everyone loves but i dont find that special
ephteeay

Postby BMC » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:08 am

You can easily tell it's not old recordings (the vocals and overdubs). It's way too published for that. Your worries are correct I'd say.
BMC

Postby Curly Locks » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:15 am

Well it's all just a matter of taste then isn't it?
Personally I think his vocals sit wonderfully on the rhythms and that the album is a cracker. I was playing it only last night.

I couldn't disagree more with you BMC, I think it most definately is a 'Total' package and works as an album too. I love the cleanliness of his voice and the pin point accuracy of Bitty's vocal stylings.

For once I even found Dean Fraser's frequently overbearing Sax noodling bearable too.
About the only slight criticism from above that I agree with is that three part vocal harmonies would have sounded nice.
Curly Locks

Postby James » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:22 am

This was easily, for me, one of the most enjoyable albums of 2004. Bitty's vocals are rather clean, but the man can really SING! What a voice. For me, it fits perfectly with those great rhythms and the whole package is quite exquisite. More like this soon, please!
James

Postby BMC » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:31 am

I've heard the album a few times now and it doesn't get any better. I was planning to buy it, but haven't done so because by now I'm convinced it's gonna gather dust on the shelves. Yes, Bitty is a good singer, very good, but for me his style, voice and articulation doesn't fit with these riddims. It all doesn't blend together, as someone on the Trojan board described it. Imo ofcourse. 8) I did buy the 7" of Walk Away With Love, played it a few times, the dub a few times more and now I don't remember where it is and I wont go look for it anytime soon either. It isn't bad, that's not what I'm saying, but it certainly can't live up to the hype around it. Average.

Oh well, taste and all that! :D
BMC

Postby dots69 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:19 pm

again its all bout opinions though personally its been my turntables favourite long player of 2004

respect
Dots
worries outernational dublin
dots69

Postby reggaepostman » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:37 pm

Really like it myself. one of the best 2004 releases IMO. Strange that some people say the voice doesn't fit the riddims and that some other (myself included) think it works great.
reggaepostman

Postby echo » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:56 pm

Like this one!! Very good record in my opinion. Give it a try, you'll notice that the sound keeps growing each time you play it.
echo

Postby tim p » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:04 pm

The Bitty topped the poll of favourite release for 2004 on this forum recently.

Bitty McLean - On Bond Street (Peckings) [ 10 ]
Burning Spear At Studio One (Soul Jazz) [ 10 ]
Various - Hudson Affair, Keith Hudson & Friends (Trojan) [ 7 ]
Wailing Souls At Channel One (Pressure Sounds) [ 5 ]
Various - Aquarius Rock: The Hip Reggae World of Herman Chin-Loy (Pressure Sounds) [ 4 ]
Various - Gaz Mayall Presents: Top Ska (Trojan) [ 3 ]
Slim Smith - Keep That Love Light Shining (Trojan) [ 1 ]
Sly & Robbie - Unmeterd Taxi (Pressure Sounds) [ 1 ]
Various - Mento Madness (V2) [ 0 ]
None of the above [ 8 ]
(49 votes in total)
tim p

Next

Return to General discussion