The Vulcans - Star Trek

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

The Vulcans - Star Trek

Postby skunkride » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:11 pm

I see this one been reissued on CD now...haven't got any clue about this group but the info on Roots Archives looks interesting...can anyone tell me about this album >?

http://www.roots-archives.com/release/1082

Thanks !
skunkride

Postby Moses » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:42 pm

They are mostly original classic reggae rhythms , such as Bunny Lee stuff, with early 70s moog and synth overdubs.

Personally, I quite like the stuff I have off these albums.

....and Trojan have never released the majority of these before! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :P :twisted:
Moses

Postby Zapatoo_the_Tiger » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:39 pm

Not listed in that link, skunkride is that this upcoming release not only contains a bonus Vulcans track ("Back-A-Yard"), but also the entire Colonel Elliott & the Lunatics "Interstellar Reggae Drive" synth-based Rhino album from 1973 - this also uses some JA rhythms - "Straight To The Head"/"Nevada Joe" on the "Approaching Earth" track and the "Funky Strip" rhythm on the final track - "Earth" being 2 that spring to mind :)

Since not only are my Vulcans singles a bit past their best (I never bought the "Star Trek" LP :( ), but also the Col. Elliott LP has almost had it, I am looking forward to getting this CD :wink:
If it don't turn you on, you oughtta leave it alone!!

See me at: http://www.trojanrecords.co.uk/forum/index.php
Zapatoo_the_Tiger

Postby charlie.reggae » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:19 am

Ken 'Colonel ' Elliott was a session moog synth player at Chalk Farm Studios, where Trojan & Rhino did most of their recording / over-dubbing.

As stated above, the rhythms were mainly those of recent Reggae hits, over-dubbed with the moog synthesizer.

The tracks I'd identified the rhythms for on the Star Trek LP are:

A2: Dr. Spock = King Stitt & Andy Capp's 'Herbsman Reggae'
A3: Red herring = Ken Boothe's 'Freedom Street'
A4: Joe Kidd = Slim Smith's 'The time has come'
B2: Dark shadows = Slim Smith's 'Stand up & fight'
B3: Dracula = Pat Kelly's 'How long (will it take)'

An interesting / read curio to own, rather than essential.

Charlie Reggae
'Come 'ere croffy-back - This is a summit meeting f'or the dead Reggae King' (Freddie Notes & The Rudies, 1970)
charlie.reggae

Postby John Eden » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:53 am

There are some good tunes on the Star Trek LP but I find the moogs get a bit grating if you listen to it in one go...
John Eden

Return to General discussion