jah reel rising in power?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

jah reel rising in power?

Postby jb welda » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 pm

Is it true, did Penny Reel pass away?

If so, sad day on this side. I really liked the man. If anyone can get hold of his widow and/or son for me i would appreciate it.

one love
jb
jb welda

Re: jah reel rising in power?

Postby prajna » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:39 am

Yes, it appears to be true JB. Several posts on Facebook by people who knew Jah Reel. Sad news indeed. Never met the man, but always enjoyed reading his original writings and postings on the original board.
prajna

Postby Novice » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:09 pm

A virtual pain in the ass was The Man who misappropriated his self-appointed station in life as Observer to act as a human nickelodean of anecdotes that all but rendered his own identity mute to those who would make him the object of their observations, but, kept the lustful well fed with an enchantment that seemed to double as a deterrent to any further inquiry.

Getting any meaningful exchange out of him required him to be properly irritated, which took the skill of a relentless obsessive or oblivious idiot to achieve, or for it to be manipulated out of him, which took some dexterity to execute. All in all, it was an endeavor for the mightily curious and the casual dabbler needn't apply.

I only knew the guy from a message board, I met him 18 or so years ago and I know as much about him today as I did that first day, though it wasn't for lack of trying. We exchanged some items through the post but he was stubborn about not needing anything in return on one occasion, but not quite as stubborn as I was about repaying any debts or favor in kind and beyond. A tough task to be sure considering I realistically had virtually nothing this guy wanted or needed, at least musically. Nothing but the best would suffice so I went for gold and casually asked him some time later, in an unrelated discussion, what his most prized or rare record was that he did not own. He answered without hesitation that it was a 7" by Brett Ansell called That's Where Lonesome Lives on Oriole Records. He had owned the record at one time but that it was misplaced never to turn up again. Long story short, I found the exact record in MINT condition and gave him a nice little surprise. His reaction was the most honest and meaningful exchange I ever had with the man and it wasn't because of how grateful and happy, almost beside himself, he was but because for that moment (basically when I first read his response since we exclusively communicated online) his "persona" seemed to disappear and I got a glimpse at the genuine article.

It's a sad day when someone you know and have had exchanges with goes away but it's even sadder or at least it's made sadder when you didn't have a chance to really get to know someone either by their insistence on introversion or your acceptance of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCamQ0OPcyI

-Me-
Novice

Postby jb welda » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:21 pm

The reel deal, enjoying some herbs fresh off the plane from California.

I remember the time him telling me about getting a panicked phone call from Bim Sherman at Heathrow, seems he had tried to come in with a little meditation in his pocket and now they were asking him what exactly he was doing over on that side with vegetable matter on his person. Reel had to come down there and speak for him, I guess, then get him home, somehow, since he did not drive.

And the two day walking tour of inner city London including infamous Indica gallery and all kinds of frontline scenes.

Bless up Jah Reel, we will be meeting again on the other side.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Novice » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Fukcing hell...no one else has any stories, RIP's, tributes...nothin?? People are funny boy I tell ya!!

Don't recall the exactly's but his story was something about being in a record store and there were a few Jamaican youths hanging 'round and someone put on this record https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNl5fPeEVCo and as soon as the lyric "step forward youth" came on, as if by way of instruction, that's exactly what the youths did and began dancing to the tune. He seemed to enjoy this event, if his telling was any indication, by virtue of the call and response vibe between Prince Jazzbo and the youth in the record shop. I rather enjoyed the images it conjured in my mind.

JB, don't know about meeting on the other side, Penny wasn't too keen on religion by my recollection though I don't know if he believed in any afterlife rubbish but I'd like to think he didn't but I'm sure he'll contradict me, as he was keen to do so, even from his grave.

-Me-
Novice

Postby jb welda » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:11 pm

It doesn't matter what you believe, only what is.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

If you think Reel was not a man of faith then you missed the whole point.

Too late will be your cry.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Novice » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:08 pm

Agreed, however, it's that "only what is" part that seems to elude anyone who claims to know what it is, as opposed to what it appears to be at this point in time.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, agree with that bit too though again, most people of faith leave that "hoped for" part out and replace it with "I know I just cant prove it to you." Evidence of things not seen is oxymoronic non-sense if you ask me, and even if you don't ask me because I have faith :mrgreen:

I honestly don't know if Reel was a man of faith, like I said I couldn't get anything out of the man usually. I am just basing my thoughts on his words and posts on this board and chattymouth but I guess we have to take that with a grain of salt because he definitely had contradictory posts...and good fun it was.

What kind of cruel world makes someone cry with regret when they've been shown the truth?

-Me-
Novice

Postby kalcidis » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:39 am

Met Jah Reel a few times. A true pleasure in real life. We also spoke on matters of religion, faith, Camus and Sartre. One of my finest memories was when I met him in his home and he read to me from one of his book only pausing to entertain his spliff. Forward Observer.
kalcidis

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:51 am

I have never met Mr Reel, so no anecdotes sadly, though saw him out a couple of times at reggae events.

He made an impression on me though through his online presence with his entertaining and knowledgable posts over at Chatty Mouth. I particulary enjoyed his top ten posts. I remember he once posted his lyrics to 'Yuppie Conquerer' which were very funnny, but I cannot trace them online. I also have enjoyed very much his beautiful book on Dennis Brown.

Great stories so far - particularly enjoyed your first post, Novice. (nice tune too - not heard it before).
RIP. Mr Reel.
Reggie Love

Postby Novice » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Yes Reggie, it is a sweet tune indeed. I particularly enjoy how it's totally upbeat musically but sad in it's lyrics but lively in the delivery, a fun little number.

Here's another little ditty he quite enjoyed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUpL75ttfM8 . He had inadvertently introduced me to the Mighty Threes' tune Rasta Business on a disc of a session of his, to my immediate and unrelenting fancy and championing of the tune, which later saw reissue and seemed to resonate instantly with practically anyone upon their hearing. I told him I had some other material by them and asked if he'd like to hear it which he did. I think I had some space left on the CD-R so I put a couple of random tunes I enjoyed and thought he might. The Freddy Mckay tune was one I particularly enjoyed and slapped it on the end just for the hell of it, I assumed he knew it or owned it being on Studio 1 and pretty well known. To my surprise he had never heard that cut before and was only familiar with the Treasure Isle cut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWqKrWieol0. That was a pleasant surprise and reaffirmed for me that reggae belongs to no one and everyone at the same time considering he'd been listening to it at least a decade before I was born but I could still introduce him to tunes.

-Me-
Novice

Postby drwatts53 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:20 pm

There's an invaluable thread on the late Penny Reel over at SNWMF, including audio of a DJ set, an interview transcript and video footage: http://www.snwmf.com/phorum/read.php?1,362971 .
drwatts53

Postby Novice » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:46 pm

God, I think I prefer it when no one was saying anything about it on here rather than lathering on the way they are over there....so Toby Mr. Swing Easy, the king star f*cker of the b&f and ChattyMouth board, believed that, to quote him, "I know Penny divided opinion; he could start a fight in an empty chat-room, his capacity for a feud was legendary and he could be irrational." Is that a FACT??? Legendary you say, with a not so disguised praise almost...funny he seemed to f*ck off proper like when I feuded with him and wouldn't make it past about 3 posts and even funnier that I was a nuisance with my feuds to 95% of people but he was legendary??? He was a HIT AND RUN artist at best when it came to feuds and anyone who says otherwise must have low blood pressure and is firmly stuck to his bollocks and can't get enough of the salt dripping off of them which they are ingesting for enchanted sustenance.

He gave your book an 8 out of 10??!! Who gives a flying fig what he thought about your writing you insecure tart...christ that crap is harder to read than Grumpy's shameless praise of Reel's "poetry." I mean every single word he wrote he'd go on and write a dissertation about it's merits...really EVERY blooody poem Grumpy? The guy wrote about reggae music and had good stories but you'd think he was the oracle of opinion the way people were drunk around him with their sycophantic rants.

I guess it's to be expected, f*cking Gemini's are always duping a whole heap a people with their grandstanding, indifferent snake oil salesmen that will real you in and spit you out with their fickle nature. I hadn't read that those posts on the snwmf board before but all it does was show how accurate my first statement was...
"A virtual pain in the ass was The Man who misappropriated his self-appointed station in life as Observer to act as a human nickelodean of anecdotes that all but rendered his own identity mute to those who would make him the object of their observations, but, kept the lustful well fed with an enchantment that seemed to double as a deterrent to any further inquiry." That's a nice way of saying he was a c*nt and nobody called him on it because they drank the f*cking kool-aid. Disappointing but by no means unexpected.

-Me-
Novice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:15 pm

This thread is like one of those Mission Impossible films where I have no clue what's going on. Is it because some posts have been removed?

Penny Reel did have a vast knowledge of the music and a vast collection by all accounts. Respect to the man.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Tune In 2 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:50 pm

I did not get verification on this, however i was told that at a place he once lived
he could just about get though the front door because he had such an immense record collection
Tune In 2

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:15 pm

Yes, the entire Blue Beat catalogue for example.
I only like particular tunes / styles so I don't really understand why people collect in this way.
Ranking Glasses

Next

Return to General discussion